News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help with a medal ID

An fellow collector has a Dutch medal group with an unknown foreign medal in it. Since the non-commissioned officer served in Sudan in 1974 we guess it's a Sudenese medal. Does anyone recognises this medal? And what was it awarded for?

Interesting. Quite interesting!

It could well be Sudanese, as the ribbon seems to be the old Anglo-Egyptian period Long Service and Good Conduct Medal ribbon, but this would have been long obsolete by the period this group/medal seems to represent. The medal is unknown/unrecorded.

Any chance of a closer scan?

Ed... Erik... I'm thinking Syrian..

Dear Ed / Stogieman,

This is the best I can do for a better image

The Army nco received the Dutch Commemorative Medal Disaster Brigade with clasp "Sudan 1974" for assistance in the relief of the drought victims in October 1974. Because of this we think the medal must be Sudanese. As far as I know the Dutch Army has no connections with Syria.

• 7 months later...

Dear Ed / Stogieman,

This is the best I can do for a better image

The Army nco received the Dutch Commemorative Medal Disaster Brigade with clasp "Sudan 1974" for assistance in the relief of the drought victims in October 1974. Because of this we think the medal must be Sudanese. As far as I know the Dutch Army has no connections with Syria.

Arabic not clear but apppears to read "Al-hakum Ash-shabi al-mahli" - not convinced about the middle word as a dot is misplaced but if so would translate as "People's Local Government" or similar. The flaming torch is indicative of a 'revolutionary' goverment and the manufacture is definitely local..............

Owain

• 4 years later...