News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Here is one that did came in today in a glider officer grouping. This Ju 87 sure had better times => i just wonder what happened with it? hit by a bomb from very nearby ? hit from anotehr plane?

The picture was taken at Lemberg - july 1943.

Has anyone similar pictures from german aircrafts with strange damage?

Cordial greetings + thanks for looking,

Hello,

=> a few fine answes for sure, hehe :P:cheeky:

I think however that the damage is to be sought in a bomb attack, here is a picture from the very same airfield. This Go 242 was obviously hit by a bomb of some sort.

I think that the Ju 87 was hit in a same way, but that picture is probably neater due to the fact that they cleaned up already a few things and did start in removing usable parts for reuse.

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

Indeed no visible crater => howver iff we look close to the picture of the Go we can see earth lying upon the aircraft etc ... (wingpart, body of the plane) and also some uneven places on the ground.

It depends offcoarse on wich type of bomb did hit these planes. Obvious the power of destruction was good enough to disable the Go 242.

About the Ju, is it possible that it would have been replaced from the original place where it was hit by something (or came in to hard) to scrap it?

Cordial greetings,

I guess I agree with Laurence, it looks more like the result of strafing or rocket attacks, probably followed by a fire. Or a direct point blank artillery hit!

I don't know if a hard landing would provoke that kind of damage!

Dolf

Hello,

Here is one that did came in today in a glider officer grouping. This Ju 87 sure had better times => i just wonder what happened with it? hit by a bomb from very nearby ? hit from anotehr plane?

The picture was taken at Lemberg - july 1943.

Has anyone similar pictures from german aircrafts with strange damage?

Cordial greetings + thanks for looking,

Just guessing but if the photo was taken in Jul43 then I doubt very much that the aircraft were damaged in a strafing/rocket attack as Lemberg (Lvov) is located in Poland and as of mid 43 was beyond Western Allied or Soviet ability to attack in such a manner.

I would guess the damage is as a result of heavy landings in both cases.

Edited by Andy_F

Hallo Stijn David :beer:

The damage to this Stuka looks more surgical than that to plane in the second picture, the ground under the Stuka looks relatively undamaged, and some of the parts of aluminum seem to have been removed by a salvage crew, also there is no sign of a fire, no evidence of soot or melted metal, and from the area around the cockpit and wings there appears to be very little damage, so I guess its been pranged, or suffered a burst of fire through the rear fusalage.

At worst a bad attack of rado battery acid gremlins :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva