News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake RB Mirror Reverse

Until recently no one tried to make fake "mirror reverse" because that was not easy. But because the prices go up, fakemakers did the first attempt. Looks ugly and easy to identify as a fake, but this is just first attempt. So be prepared... :violent:

Obverse

Not all that perfect a fake, and still has that "shadow" around the hammer and sickle. By itself, a critical collector could easily spot it as a fake. HOWEVER, if I had seen one of these in a group, I probably would have bought it as part of the group and never questioned it's originality. Scary!!!!!

Dave

Dave & Andrey,

I have never really looked at a ORB Mirror reverse. I look at the picture in this thread and I am wondering what shadow? Are you referring to the obverse or reverse? On the obverse I see a little bit of sloppy white enamel. What would I have to look for to avoid buying a fake?

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

I look at the picture in this thread and I am wondering what shadow?

The shadow as pointed out by my arrow in the below photo. I've personally never seen a good ORB with a shadow like this around the hammer and sickle...

Dave

All enamels have different colour on the perifery (near the edge bordering with the metal). Red enamel normally gives yellow to amber shade. Blue enamel gives white shade. White enamel normally gives gray shade. Fake enamels give different shades. Take a look at fake Kutuzov. White enamel has brown shade instead of gray. I would like to post whole picture but the limitations didn't me allow to do so, that's why I cut it a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

The only mirror back I have was sloppily converted to suspension by the wearer (see Grebennik thread in the researched groups subforum--this was for Lake Khasan) so this isn't the greatest comparison photo, but look at the difference in how the mirrored letters look:

[attachmentid=48418]

This original was clearly PRESSED in a die, while the copies above give the impression of footprints in wet cement, or being drawn in mud-- too shallow, and too wide.

I assume these fakes are cast and not made in a die?

Rick, of course for a collector who had seen real "mirror reverses" before it would not be a problem to uncover the fakes displayed above. But there are two important points. First point - until recently there were no attempts to fake this type of order. So this is a first bell. Second point - obverse was made pretty good. So it's only a question of time for "bad guys" to improve the quality of reverse. Just remember how it started with HSU medals. First fakes were ugly. Recent ones are masterpieces...

Gentlemen,

I must confess again that I?ve always had a weakness for mirror backs; and Rick, I have to say that post #11 is just super! :love::love::love:

It?s a damn shame that the garbage is faking these now; :violent: but I suppose that it was to be expected.

Below is my favorite.

Regards,

Wild Card