News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

fleamarket find

Guest Rick Research

Must go This Way Up from the oakleaves:

[attachmentid=47072]

I'm wondering... assuming NOT some private school's personal system...

IS there a national standard to ROTC awards, consistent for all the states?

And if so, can somebody post what must exist-- regulations showing the various ribbons? :beer:

Based on my experience with ROTC -- which turned me against the military forever, except as an object of study -- is that there is NO standardization beyond a few common national awards which are EXTREMELY rare.

Hi all,

Here's another example... in this instance for the Naval Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps.

[attachmentid=47141]

In a way I almost feel embarrassed posting these compared with so many of you who have been members of the active armed forces. Nevertheless these are my awards for four years in the NJROTC. They're all I have... and I'm proud of them. I'd intended to do two years of junior college, taking a bit of a break before jumping in at University level while taking the last two years of ROTC in order to get my commission in the U.S. Navy, hopefully in carriers.

No such luck as during spring break in my second year I was involved in a hit and run accident... my little Chevy Vega Estate Wagon getting rammed by a huge battleship... an Oldsmobile 88, the driver of which then proceeded to drive off and only gave himself up the next morning... when he'd sobered up. Long story short my career in the military went down the drain as I was rewarded with a concussion, back and neck injuries that still give me problems to this day.

But as I say, I'm proud to have at least done my four years in JROTC and having had the opportunity to have that experience. I took it very seriously, having all along planned on a military career. Just wish it all had worked out.

So while very minor by comparison to those who actually served, as I say, I'm very proud of my humble awards.

For reference here's the current NJROTC ribbon chart (changes noted below.):

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/US/Njrotc.gif

Basically, here's the lineup:

The gold stars each signify one full years service.

Row 1: Participation (Community Service)/Parade Details*

Row 2: Good Conduct (four awards)**/Personal Appearance (six awards)**/Aptitude**

Row 3: Naval Science IV Outstanding Cadet**/Naval Science III Outstanding Cadet**/Naval Science II Outstanding Cadet (two awards)**

Row 4: Naval Science I Outstanding Cadet**/Sea Cruise (Carrier U.S.S. Lexington CVT-16/Mini Boot Camp - Orlando Naval Training Center (NTC)***

Row 5: Honor Guard (Excutive Officer)****/Drill Team**/Color Guard*****

Notes on changes:

* Seems they've changed this one to Exemplary Personal Appearance now.

** Changed to a new ribbon for the same thing.

*** Slight change in ribbon but basically the same.

**** Special award created for our units Honor Guard.

***** Same ribbon, believe they pictured theirs upside down... should be red/white/blue.

We were on the cusp of when changes were being made. When I started and for three years there was no specific ribbon for such things as community service, parades, special events, etc. Nor were there for boot camp or cruises. We did not have an Honor Guard until my Senior year. I came up with the concept but made the mistake of trusting one of my fellow officers who proceeded, before I had the opportunity to take it to the Unit CO with the idea... as his own and he was made CO of the HG unit. I made it clear to him in no uncertain terms how displeased I was but to protect him (mistake?) accepted the post of XO and kept my mouth shut. I saw no need to cause unnecessary problems in our corps of cadet officers so I let it go. But the HG unit itself I was very proud of. I don't believe any other units had this and by the look of it they still don't.

I created it as whenever we had a high ranking naval officer (or any officer(s) or VIP's come for a visit, ceremony, etc, we had no way to give them the honors they were due. This HG unit solved that problem and made quite an impression. Our debut was during Homecoming that year when we formed an arch with our swords which the King and Queen for Homecoming that year walked through. Everyone loved it! :jumping: So it's something I'm very proud of.

I made Petty Officer 2nd Class half way through my Freshman year... only one of two to do so. The other ended up as our unit commander and went on to graduate from the Naval Academy taking the USMC option.

Was then promoted to Ensign at the end of our Junior year and was made full Lieutenant at the beginning of our Senior year. Was Supply officer, then commander of the Second Platoon. Was one of the creators of the units Honor Guard and was it's Executive Officer. Was also on the Drill Team and Color Guard for a portion of one year.

Again it's nothing compared with the real awards some of our members have been awarded... but as it's as far as I was able to get it's what I'm proud of.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

In a way I almost feel embarrassed posting these compared with so many of you who have been members of the active armed forces.

Dan

Dan,

I know this is a bit :off topic: , but.............

Perhaps not everyone will agree with me, but as a former active duty person I say you should never feel embarrassed by any good thing you've done, and obviously you did good during your years of JROTC. :beer:

It's strange what motivates young people and how quickly they can change. My eldest son was a total JROTC addict in high school. His school had Air Force JROTC. He was on the drill team, he rose up to Cadet Lt Col his senior year and was the deputy commander of cadets. He even joined the Civil Air Patrol cadet program and was doing that at the same time. He graduated with a full 3-year Air Force ROTC scholarship that covered his 2nd, 3rd and 4th years of college. He then decided he didn't want to go in the military, gave up the scholarship and now works as a fry cook in a restaurant. :speechless:

Dan,

I know this is a bit :off topic: , but.............

Perhaps not everyone will agree with me, but as a former active duty person I say you should never feel embarrassed by any good thing you've done, and obviously you did good during your years of JROTC. :beer:

It's strange what motivates young people and how quickly they can change. My eldest son was a total JROTC addict in high school. His school had Air Force JROTC. He was on the drill team, he rose up to Cadet Lt Col his senior year and was the deputy commander of cadets. He even joined the Civil Air Patrol cadet program and was doing that at the same time. He graduated with a full 3-year Air Force ROTC scholarship that covered his 2nd, 3rd and 4th years of college. He then decided he didn't want to go in the military, gave up the scholarship and now works as a fry cook in a restaurant. :speechless:

Hi Mike,

I deeply appreciate your comments on my "service". I only wish I could have gone on and done but. But I've tried to do so in other ways in the community. But I sure do miss "life in uniform". When I cruised on the Lexington as well as a day tour on the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy I just fell in love :love::love: with carriers! To me they were the ultimate in naval service although I know alot of guys will argue with that re: subs or battleships. But some things are just not meant to be I guess.

On your son... that does sound like quite a sea change... I wonder what happened that caused that. As it sounds like he was truly gung ho about the whole military experience. But, if he's happy in his current job then that's the most important thing. We've always brought Nick up with the idea that no matter what he decides to do in life... from being President of a corporation to being a ditch digger... be the best at it you can be and that if he's "happy" in it... truly happy, then hang the rest as that's what's really important. :D

I'm sure glad you stopped by and took the time to comment on all this. It's made me feel alot better about posting these... and believe me I hesitated but felt I'd probably never had another chance. I know there's a thread where everyone was supposed to show their "gongs" as I believe it was put. But I didn't dare post there. That's for the "heavy artillery". But I am proud of what I accomplished and what I learned... often under very trying circumstances.

I guess it's like most people who haven't experienced things like the military. They see ribbons or medals and they simply don't realize what can often go into earning such things. They just see little pieces of cloth or shiney bits of metal and that's "all" they see. But that's also what makes those who do what we do special... we can "see beyond" and realize what went into each and every award or piece of insignia. The blood, sweat and tears as they say. It's like, look at a navy Seal badge. Not the most impressive thing in the world. No enamel... no precious metals or precious jems. But oh what it takes to earn one! And because of that, when that new Seal receives his badge it's more precious than all the gold in Fort Knox! And he wouldn't trade it for anything! :beer:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Thanks for posting Captain. I like the awards-they were earned. I find them very interesting and cool.

:cheers:

Given the oak leaves/clusters I am wondering if they are state national Guards.?

Edited by Ulsterman

Thanks for posting Captain. I like the awards-they were earned. I find them very interesting and cool.

:cheers:

Given the oak leaves/clusters I am wondering if they are state national Guards.?

Many thanks! :beer:

On the oaks... it's possible. But that's an area I'm not that familiar with. Any National Guard members out there that can help?

We also have several reserve branches like the Coast Guard and Naval Reserve, etc. as well as CAP (Civil Air Patrol) but doesn't look like something for them. But again I'm not positive.

I know that in our unit we only used lamps of learning, stars and such... no oaks.

Would love to find out more.

Dan :cheers:

The ribbon without clusters is used by several States NG for awards from Distinguished

Service to Commendation.

No one state has all three ribbons current or obsolete that I can find.

Not JROTC, ROTC, CAP, or US Government Agencies that I can find.

The ribbon without clusters is used by several States NG for awards from Distinguished

Service to Commendation.

No one state has all three ribbons current or obsolete that I can find.

Not JROTC, ROTC, CAP, or US Government Agencies that I can find.

Hi David,

Do you by chance have a site(s) that have ribbon charts for JROTC and ROTC? If so I'd be grateful if you could pass them along.

Many thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Do you by chance have a site(s) that have ribbon charts for JROTC and ROTC? If so I'd be grateful if you could pass them along.

Go to the site you pasted above. Go to the Home Page. Click on Ribbon Charts. Go to ROTC.

That is the link I was going to paste.

Edited by David S

Hi David,

Many thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Dan, here is a site for Army ROTC Ribbons:

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/arotc.shtml And if you look at the left side naviagtion bar on this page you will see links to ribbons for the other services ROTC programs. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle