News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I found this medal on Weitze's site. I have never seen anything like it before. What country is it for(Definately not Prussian)? Is it even an official award?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regard

Paul

Guest Rick Research

That would be because it is insanely rare. Most German lifesaving awards are. In 40 years I have seen exactly ONE ribbon bar with this-- and half my collection came from around Hamburg. Turned my nose up at it (it was a 12 or 13 ribbon bar, too) many moons ago because it was in ratty poor condition.

Never seen another since. Never have seen one in a mounted medal bar.

Thank you all for your help in this one. For a post war medal, he is asking a lot for it.

It is an attractive looking medal!

This is not a post war medal, it was awarded between 1918 and 1933. Total awards number was 183 plus another 44 winners of the 1st model got it in exchange against their older medal. In my opinin the sales price is very low.

This is not a post war medal, it was awarded between 1918 and 1933. Total awards number was 183 plus another 44 winners of the 1st model got it in exchange against their older medal. In my opinin the sales price is very low.

WOW!!! only 220+ winners?!?! Maybe I will contact the seller?!

Thank you all for the information and help in this matter

Regards

Paul

WOW!!! only 220+ winners?!?! Maybe I will contact the seller?!

Thank you all for the information and help in this matter

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

there is a new book on the market about German lifesaving medals: Friedhelm Beireiss, Rettungsmedaillen deutscher Staaten 1782 - 1918, Verlag Patzwall, Norderstedt 2006, ISBN 3-931533-06-9.

I have got the info from this book.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Was the information I posted wrong ? Or was there a ante-war version and a 1951 new issue ?

I agree the one I posted looked far more recent...

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Paul,

there is a new book on the market about German lifesaving medals: Friedhelm Beireiss, Rettungsmedaillen deutscher Staaten 1782 - 1918, Verlag Patzwall, Norderstedt 2006, ISBN 3-931533-06-9.

I have got the info from this book.

Karl

Willi,

It sounds like a must have for Lifesaving medal collectors! Does it have a lot of photos? In color?

Thank you for the referral!

Regards

Paul

Willi,

It sounds like a must have for Lifesaving medal collectors! Does it have a lot of photos? In color?

Thank you for the referral!

Regards

Paul

Paul, this is right, a fantastic book by a well known author who has been an Imperial German collector for decades (made a fantastic book about Oldenburg orders/medals years ago), pics are not color.

Regards,

Karl

I can not emphazise more how important it is to have books, buy books, recommend books.

Forums are nice for some quick and free information, but if collectors do not buy books to support those writting them...were would we be today?

When I started collecting medals nothing but the Hessenthal/Schreiber was avilaible, besides those picture books about III.Reich orders. We have come a long way with publications and books...

You can pretty much find everything at Michael Autengruber's web page:

Books about orders and medals

If it is not listed there, just email him, he has almost everything in stock.

He is a good friend of mine as well.

Andreas

Edited by medalnet