News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just got this from a gentleman in France (thanks Jacques). I have seen these before and have lusted after them. I was just never able to get one until now. Naval wound badges are hard to find, the cut out version is doubly rare in any grade. Now I just need a rayback....or two :P . Without further ado, here she is. Used but not abused, lots of frosting still intact.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

The badge arrived in his new home ? I'm happy, it finally took less than 10 days

Actually, it arrived in four days. I was just out of town and had not checked the mail when I sent the message. Thanks, again for a great piece.

John,

Average prices for naval wound badges are $100 for black, $150 for silver and $200 for gold. For a cut out like this, they do not turn up very often so it is hard to say. Pay what you can afford and are comfortable with. Sometimes a dealer asks more and sometimes you can get a good price from a fine gentleman like Jacques. I have sent you a PM.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Very nice badges Daniel

Some close-ups on the rest of the family would be nice

Always happy to oblige. WC, I have only seen 3-4 before this and had never held one in my hand until now. This one is the best of the bunch.

Dan Murphy

All three types are represented here. They are distinguished by the shape of the sword guards and the way the top of the anchor is formed. One type (gold below right)has straight sword guards with the "wooden" top of the anchor rounded and squared chain. Another (black silver and gold on left) has guards that expand out toward the ends, the "wooden" top is angled and rounded chain. The third type (black and silver top and middle right) is easily distinquished by it's oval sword guards, flat "wooden" top and misformed links in the chain.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Now that I have you all wanting to go out and buy up all the naval wound badges, it is time for a lesson. Many persons believe the type shown below to be fakes. There are real ones and fakes made similar to it. This was a relatively expensive lesson for me many years ago, before I knew better. Here we have one of each real on top, fake below. The real one measures 45mm High and 40mm wide. The fake measures 44mm high and 38mm wide. Only slightly smaller but it is obvious when they are shown together. The original is more rounded and the fake more elongated.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Reverse. The original has correct period hardware as on most standard (army or navy) wound badges. The hardware on the fake was never used on original WW1 badges and is like seen on fakes from the 60s-70's including an aluminum pin :angry: in the hinge. The catch is also '57 or later pattern. This fooled me back them but would not fool many experienced collectors.

IPB Image

But better hardware could be used and it would be harder to detect. But this photo shows another angle. Notice how the edge of the original is well finished. On the fake, the edge is not finished and has several places where the metal has split during forming. There is also a jagged edge all the way around. While you may see one split like this on a real badge, a real one would never be made this badly.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy