News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polar Star

Albert

Dear All,

What do you think about this number on a type 1 Polar Star? The "1" is longer than the rest. I don't think it was added but still would like to hear your opinions. Would be great if a similar number could be located for comparison.

Thanks and best regards,

Albert

Edited by Albert

Why add a number in front?

For same reason numbers were scratched out, to make the original number untraceable to the owner. Well, that's an observation from collecting Soviet awards. Maybe Mongols were less paranoid.

So you too think it's ok? If so is a price of EUR 175 ok for such a piece? The rest is ok.

Thanks,

Albert

Albert,

As far as I know, in most cases, the "1" in the Polar Star I've seen is just a vertical line.

But I've seen a few with the "1" as in yours, includind one or two posted in the appropriate thread. Here, Post #10, for example: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4238

The only one in my collection with a "1" like yours (althought not as long as your "1") has what seems to be a stamped S/N 1617 (rather than the usual engraved ones, but I'm not 100% about this, need to check the Types & Variations list again) and can be seen here, Post #44: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5640&st=40

Can you please post a pic of the obverse of yours? I guess it's of the same T & V of mine.

I see no obvious reason to add a number, and I see no traces of a previous number being erased and replaced by the "1"!

Just my two cents,

Dolf

For same reason numbers were scratched out, to make the original number untraceable to the owner. Well, that's an observation from collecting Soviet awards. Maybe Mongols were less paranoid.

So you too think it's ok? If so is a price of EUR 175 ok for such a piece? The rest is ok.

Thanks,

Albert

For a "casual" Mongolian collector just interested in an SB and 1 or 2 other nice things, you sure are moving ahead quickly expanding your collection. Be careful, Mongolian can get addictive :P

Thanks,

Albert

I guess Mongolians were probably less paranoid indeed ;)

If yours is of T2 (Uighur script) then the price is fair compared with prices most Western dealers are currently asking for those.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

I see no obvious reason to add a number, and I see no traces of a previous number being erased and replaced by the "1"!

Hi Dolf,

That's good. As long as noone manipulated the number to either make the order more interesting by placing it into a certain era / category or to obscur the lead to the recipient.

It's not mine but I can post this pic of the reverse. Sorry, don't have better pics.

Best regards,

Albert

For a "casual" Mongolian collector just interested in an SB and 1 or 2 other nice things, you sure are moving ahead quickly expanding your collection. Be careful, Mongolian can get addictive :P

No worries there, Bob. My financial situation will put a lid on the "collecting" of Mongolian awards quite quickly :D It's just that a guy is selling a part of his collection and the SB and this OPS are the only rare and affordable ones. The rest is common stuff and price-wise unenticing.

Hi Dolf,

That's good. As long as noone manipulated the number to either make the order more interesting by placing it into a certain era / category or to obscur the lead to the recipient.

It's not mine but I can post this pic of the reverse. Sorry, don't have better pics.

Best regards,

Albert

Yes, althought not being 100% sure from just this pic, it looks like a T2V1 just like mine posted in the same thread I mentioned above, but on Posts #41 and #42.

Dolf

No worries there, Bob. My financial situation will put a lid on the "collecting" of Mongolian awards quite quickly :D It's just that a guy is selling a part of his collection and the SB and this OPS are the only rare and affordable ones. The rest is common stuff and price-wise unenticing.

Well if "Guy" wants to rid of the rest of his stuff he should give the "saleroom" a look so that the rest of us addicts can get our fix!!! :beer:

Anyway, I just had a look at mine and I have one with serial #1031 and strangely enough the two "1"s are different.

The first "1" looks just like the one you posted and the 2nd "1" looks like the normal straight line...

Weird..

I've tried to take pictures before but the reverse is rather heavily tarnished so there is very little detail to be seen in the pictures.I'll try again in a bit and if it works I'll post them.

Cheers

JC

PS. welcome to the GMIC.

[attachmentid=48049][attachmentid=48049]

Well if "Guy" wants to rid of the rest of his stuff he should give the "saleroom" a look so that the rest of us addicts can get our fix!!! :beer:

Anyway, I just had a look at mine and I have one with serial #1031 and strangely enough the two "1"s are different.

The first "1" looks just like the one you posted and the 2nd "1" looks like the normal straight line...

Weird..

I've tried to take pictures before but the reverse is rather heavily tarnished so there is very little detail to be seen in the pictures.I'll try again in a bit and if it works I'll post them.

Cheers

JC

PS. welcome to the GMIC.

Thanks again!

I asked him to put it on hold for me. The other items he is selling are not so rare and rather expensive. He has an Order of Combat Red Banner / Order of Military Merit / Order of Polar Star s/b no base / Order of Palar Star p/b. The prices are not competitive though.

He also has a cased badge of honored KGB employee. Price is borderline and I am still thinking...

Best regards,

Albert

Edited by Albert

Dear All,

What do you think about this number on a type 1 Polar Star? The "1" is longer than the rest. I don't think it was added but still would like to hear your opinions. Would be great if a similar number could be located for comparison.

Thanks and best regards,

Albert

Defenitely there was an old number below the figures! The figures look like they were made by unprofessional hands. This hand-writing is not professional one from the mint.

regards, Dima

Edited by cosinus

Defenitely there was an old number below the figures! The figures look like they were made by unprofessional hands. This hand-writing is not professional one from the mint.

regards, Dima

I'm not quite as convinced as you are Dima. I see scratches at the bottom, but I'm not sure there once was another number.

I agree the hand-writing is not as professional as what we are used to see, but maybe they gave the "lowly" Mongolian stuff to apprentice engravers. :P

Anyway, here is mine which is even worse hand-writing wise, but I studied it very thouroughly and I'm convinced it has not been tampered with.

Jan

I'm not quite as convinced as you are Dima. I see scratches at the bottom, but I'm not sure there once was another number.

I agree the hand-writing is not as professional as what we are used to see, but maybe they gave the "lowly" Mongolian stuff to apprentice engravers. :P

Anyway, here is mine which is even worse hand-writing wise, but I studied it very thouroughly and I'm convinced it has not been tampered with.

Jan

Don't you just love Mongolian awards, they even look appealing from the back :P

Hello Dima,

While certainly possible, I know what you mean, it is impossible to tell from those photos. I have decided to go for it and will give it a close examination once I have it. The figures themselves do not raise any concern though.

But following that train of thought, did the Mongolians also reissue orders the way the Soviets did; roughly altered Orders of Nevsky come to mind as one example of what I mean.

Best regards,

Albert

Edited by Albert

In the meanwhile I got a bigger pic of the Nr. Still need to see it in flesh but the handwriting is perfectly fine. The figure 8 is probably one of the more dificult ones to engrave and here it's just perfect. So if this order was renumbered, which I doubt, then most likely directly at the Monetnyj Dvor.

Speaking of scratches the whole top of the Order of Sukhe Bator seems to be scratched or polisched for absolutely no reason at all.

Sometimes scratches are just that: scratches. I guess.

Edited by Albert

Wow, is that what I think it is :love: Any chance of a close up?

Albert,

That's the one in my collectrion I mentioned the other day. On this thread, Post #4, with a link to this other thread, Post #44: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5640&st=40

I have no idea what it is. Will try a close up later but it's not gona be easy: my camera won't take such close up shots, and I believe my old scanner isn't too good at those details either. So maybe the best we get is the pic Jan posted. I don't know how he did manage to have a better pic than mine btw :unsure: Will see what I can do.

Anyway, believe it or not, I guess it was the first time I really noticed that symbol!... :o:speechless::P

Dolf :cheers:

Edited by Dolf

Albert,

That's the one in my collectrion I mentioned the other day. On this thread, Post #4, with a link to this other thread, Post #44: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5640&st=40

I have no idea what it is. Will try a close up later but it's not gona be easy: my camera won't take such close up shots, and I believe my old scanner isn't too good at those details either. So maybe the best we get is the pic Jan posted. I don't know how he did manage to have a better pic than mine btw :unsure: Will see what I can do.

Anyway, believe it or not, I guess it was the first time I really noticed that symbol!... :o:speechless::P

Dolf :cheers:

Dolf,

I looked at those posts but noticed that letter only now. Looks to me like a mint worker's initial often encountered on Soviet screw-back orders probably of that period of time. Sweet!

Albert :beer:

Dolf,

I looked at those posts but noticed that letter only now. Looks to me like a mint worker's initial often encountered on Soviet screw-back orders probably of that period of time. Sweet!

Albert :beer:

Albert,

Yes, I guess it's the only logical explanation.

Dolf