News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Silver Star - Purple Heart group

A really nice group to a Cpl in the 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division.

He actually WAS awarded the Croix de Guerre as an individual, but I think the CDG is not the one originally given to him as he received it at divisional level (so sould have a silver tar on it.

Guest Rick Research

Is that the OTHER Purple Heart that the Devil Monkey Fingers was tempting you to replace?

DO NOT.

No matter how tatty, untouched is better than the abomination of re-ribboning which characterizes ONLY British medals collecting. :speechless:

DON'T DO IT.

Guest Rick Research

Don't have to guess with state records-- but need to know which state.

He was NOT from Connecticut. 1 down, 47 to go. (There were only 48 then, not the 57 we have now. :catjava: )

Guest Rick Research

NOT from Maine.

NOT from Vermont.

3 down, 45 to go. I'm out. The other 3 Southern Canada states require live look ups on site. :whistle:

Guest Rick Research

You are in luck-- sort of. Seems William Folsom was not a particularly common name.

From the U.S. Social Security Death Index, asked for all such born between 1880 and 1900 as useful limits only 15 come up and of those really only 7 are likely:

Now, this is not foolproof. It has been the lamentably STUPID practice, since Day 1 under Cousin Franklin to NOT list middle names. :banger: As millions of dead Americans pile up, this is more and more something that some ninny in Washington should have flipped a switch to allow for.

There are also numerous ways a male working after 1937 could not be listed, but for this generation, most would be, and the usual reason for listing is their demise being the "trigger" for start of widow's benefits.

Seek ye in Georgia, Alabama, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Texas. Probably not Massachusetts as few career enlisted ranks before the Great War. Don't know about Ohio-- they were a recruiting power house during the Civil War.

I tried searching the WWI Registration Cards on Ancestry.com hoping for somewhat of a match. The only one I have found with a J as a middle name is William Jefferson Folsom of Florida but originally from Georgia. He appears to have been a farmer and was born January 12, 1891. He doesn't appear to be one of the guys Rick listed. The chances that this is the guy are relatively slim but its a start

Guest Rick Research

Does seem to point to Georgia as Land Of The Folsoms, though. :cheers:

I believe regulars already IN the army wouldn't be shown on draftees' cards?

Meanwhile, who was Folsom Prison named after? :speechless1:

Is that the OTHER Purple Heart that the Devil Monkey Fingers was tempting you to replace?

DO NOT.

No matter how tatty, untouched is better than the abomination of re-ribboning which characterizes ONLY British medals collecting. :speechless:

DON'T DO IT.

It really is a shame when those new nylon ribbons are used, original tatty ones are better in my opinion too.

Which one is the Silver Star, the small one on the VM? What's the gold coloured Star for and what's it called?

Tony

It really is a shame when those new nylon ribbons are used, original tatty ones are better in my opinion too.

Which one is the Silver Star, the small one on the VM? What's the gold coloured Star for and what's it called?

Tony

The gold star is a "silver star"

although the silver bit is the tiny star in the middle.

On the award card it says...

"QMG directed to issue silver star /c/o Hon. Hoke Smith, Grant Building, Atlanta GA 6-20-27 see AG 201 GDG 6-20-27"

From google I see Hoke Smith is some kind of lawyer/politician....

Guest Rick Research

You didn't TELL us you had an award card!!!! :shame::banger::banger::banger:

That provides you with everything you need to find out from the Georgia Adjutant General's Office (or equivalent) WHICH Folsom that went to.

• 9 months later...

Chris, Great story and writes up no your website. I love how POed the Bat. CO gets when writting the the NY Times. The army had a policy to not mention division names when releasing action information. The Marines did not have the same policy and were just described as Marines. This is oner of the reason that the Marines did not fight in Europe during WWII. As General Marshall did not want them there.

• 4 years later...
    • 3 weeks later...