News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Bacqueville badges with an interesting story.

:rolleyes:

To share with all of you, my last two Bacqueville badges.

I succeed to have these two badges with the son of a maritim constable who was in Paris in december 44.

Here the story from the son in english and French.

"Both badges were discovered in December 1944 in the basement of the Staff of the Navy, 1 rue Royale in Paris by my father, the maritime constable ***** Albert, number **** B 37.

Assigned as of December 11th 1944 from the Mediterranean area (Port of Marseilles) to the Atlantic sector, the constable ***** Albert is designated to integrate the Department of Marine brigade of research and ensure the bodyguard of Vice Admiral Georges Thierry d'Argenlieu, appointed at that time Vice-President of the Supreme Council of the Navy Inspector General and Marine Forces, when traveling outside the Staff of the Navy. As part of its functions within the brigade of research, he worked on documents, archives and objects left behind by the Kriegsmarine in Staff of the Navy during the liberation of Paris. Among these objects were badges, insignia specialty, grade, coils of braids, dishes, ..."

"Ces deux insignes de poitrine ont été découvert en décembre 1944 dans les sous-sols de l'État-major de la Marine, 1 rue Royale à Paris, par mon père, le gendarme maritime de 2ème classe ***** Albert, matricule **** B 37.

Affecté à compter du 11 décembre 1944 du secteur Méditerranée (Port de Marseille) au secteur Atlantique, le gendarme Albert CLOITRE est désigné pour intégrer au Ministère de la Marine la brigade des recherches et assurer la garde rapprochée du Vice Amiral Georges THIERRY D'ARGENLIEU, nommé à cette date vice-président du Conseil supérieur de la marine et inspecteur général des Forces maritimes, lors de ses déplacements hors du ministère. Dans le cadre de ses fonctions au sein de la brigade des recherches, il a travaillé sur des documents, des archives ou des objets laissés sur place par la Kriegsmarine en son siège lors de la libération de Paris. Parmi ces objets figuraient notamment des insignes de poitrine, des insignes de spécialité, de grade, des bobines de galons, de la vaisselle, …"

Pic from the maritime constable ***** Albert, number **** B 37 in Paris.

exposition.jpg

The two badges from the Staff of the Navy, 1 rue Royale in Paris

insignesface.jpg

insignesdos.jpg

Regards

Ben

Hi Gingerbread...

A topic always good for debate.....

However... notice a similarity in styles..... :whistle::lol:

"Both badges were discovered in December 1944 in the basement of the Staff of the Navy, 1 rue Royale in Paris by my father, the maritime constable ***** Albert, number **** B 37.

Assigned as of December 11th 1944 from the Mediterranean area (Port of Marseilles) to the Atlantic sector, the constable ***** Albert is designated to integrate the Department of Marine brigade of research and ensure the bodyguard of Vice Admiral Georges Thierry d'Argenlieu, appointed at that time Vice-President of the Supreme Council of the Navy Inspector General and Marine Forces, when traveling outside the Staff of the Navy. As part of its functions within the brigade of research, he worked on documents, archives and objects left behind by the Kriegsmarine in Staff of the Navy during the liberation of Paris. Among these objects were badges, insignia specialty, grade, coils of braids, dishes, ..."

Sounds as if it was penned by the same guy as this..

"I am the only son of Kenneth Nkomo, a wealthy farmer and senior politician with the opposition political party in my country, Movement for Democratic Change [MDC]. My father was murdered by our wicked President, Robert Mugabe and I fled my country because I have become his next target to eliminate.

My father was a fighter for Justice and a moving force in the MDC, a part wanting to end the several years of brutal dictatorship government of President Robert Mugabe. You will read more stories about President Mugabe's brutal acts by visiting this web sites; http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0418/zimbabwe.html

My father was accused of Treason and also assisting the White farmers in fighting the government. Few weeks after his arrest, he was reported dead. The government claimed he died of heart attack and his body was never seen for proper autopsy, they buried him in the government cemetery. My father's associate Mr. Martin Olds a White farmer from

Britain assisted me in fighting my father's death through the Court and media; he government saw us as a big treat to them and decided to eliminate us. Mr. Olds was attacked and murdered in his house, but fortunately, before they came looking for me, I received the news and I had to flee through the border to South Africa to save my life. My arrival here in Canada still remains like a miracle to me."

Hmmmm. The story as I heard it was that these badges were discovered sometime in the 1970s during some maintenance work in basement of the Naval HQ. Bacqueville probably produced a range of KM war badges as part of the charade of alliance and co-operation between Paris and Berlin from 1940 to 1942. However, they probably fell foul of the tightening up by the PK/LDO in 1941 of the rules governing medals and badges and were dumped in the basement by some Kriegsmarine clerk. There is said to be a photo somewhere in the ECPA-D archives showing some KM sailors in La Baule, one of whom is allegedly wearing a Bacqueville badge, easily identified at a distance by the distinctive shape of the bottom part of the wreath when compared to German-made badges. However, neither I nor any of the other chaps interested in this have been able so far to find this photograph. That said, I believe these badges to be of wartime manufacture. They are also being faked now by you-know-who in Paris, which is amusing. Some of the originals have garish gold paint on the wreaths as a result of 'touching-up' by the dealers who acquired them in the 1970s. The best ones to collect are untouched examples, dans leur jus...and, sometimes, in their little boxes.

But yes, the story sounds like a load of ballocks. I prefer the 1970s version.

PK

The whole thing is based on belief... I tend to think that they were period, but not official... same way that all over the world folks make things for occupying troops... look at US patches made in Vietnam and irak for an example...

Of course... the fact that Chris Ailesby Vouches for them from personal experiance may make a couple of believers become non believers... ;-)