• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Paul R

Paul R

Regional Admin

• Regional Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:12

I am blown away! That is an amazing collection. I had never even heard of BW Panzer berets, and you have two of them!

That medical officer tunic is absolutely gorgeous! I love how the blue color surrounds the sleeve patch. I have never seen the waffenfarbe displayed in this manner. Was this a short lived practice?

#22 GRA

GRA

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:47

I love how the blue color surrounds the sleeve patch. I have never seen the waffenfarbe displayed in this manner. Was this a short lived practice?

Paul, to my knowledge they still use the same patches, and they also have a blue beret with a snake badge. As far as I know, this is a doctor-dentist-nurse distinction, combat medics wear the same uniforms as the unit they serve in.

/Jonas

#23 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:28

I am blown away! That is an amazing collection. I had never even heard of BW Panzer berets, and you have two of them!

That medical officer tunic is absolutely gorgeous! I love how the blue color surrounds the sleeve patch. I have never seen the waffenfarbe displayed in this manner. Was this a short lived practice?

i actually have 5 in total :whistle: :jumping: jonas is correct it can be found on most patches the medics is the "Zentrale Sanitatsdienststellen verschiedene Standorte" who are the central medical services of the bundeswehr

jonas the beret you are correct on but there are 3 types of beret metal badge for the low rank soldat, threaded badge for NCO (as private purchase) and bullion patch for officers shown below is NCO patch and metal:

Attached Files

#24 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:35

as to the panzer berets the order goes:
hard panzer beret (similar in design to the ww2)
soft beret (got 2 of them :jumping: )
black beret with tank badge (but without national flag)
black beret with tank badge (with national flag)

all 5 belonged to the same man who i brought it off a while back when he left the forces :jumping:

Attached Files

#25 GRA

GRA

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:57

Hello Tom!

I've seen beret badges for the black Panzertruppe beret with the muzzle of the gun barrel cut off (as in nothing protruding outside of the wreath), do you know why? I'm not sure if even all tankers, or units, do it. Is it some kind of "passed the test" thing, or what?

/Jonas

#26 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:26

Hello Tom!

I've seen beret badges for the black Panzertruppe beret with the muzzle of the gun barrel cut off (as in nothing protruding outside of the wreath), do you know why? I'm not sure if even all tankers, or units, do it. Is it some kind of "passed the test" thing, or what?

/Jonas

no idea sorry the tank muzzle is very thin metal so i would suppose its possible that it might break off if you can find a picture would be intersting to see

#27 GRA

GRA

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:47

no idea sorry the tank muzzle is very thin metal so i would suppose its possible that it might break off if you can find a picture would be intersting to see

No Tom, I'm sure it was deliberately done, I got the impression that it was something to be somewhat proud of (and besides, if your badge would break, you'd just replace it, I guess).

/Jonas

#28 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:14

No Tom, I'm sure it was deliberately done, I got the impression that it was something to be somewhat proud of (and besides, if your badge would break, you'd just replace it, I guess).

/Jonas

the only other idea would be to shape the beret as the muzzle sticks out a bit if you look at the attached photo the germans all seem to shape their beret differently:

Attached Files

#29 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:17

found another photo (still missing a few) a early 1964 tunic similar to the feldjager only its got the harder to find piping around the collar this was taken off after only 1 year but i don't know why there doesn't seem to be any documented reason that i can find. this tunic is to a soldat (private) of the panzergrenadiers if anyone has a peaked cap with the green piping please get in touch as i only have the beret which is 91 dated

Attached Files

#30 Paul R

Paul R

Regional Admin

• Regional Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:34

There is a surplus store next to the base that has several BW tunics with all of the insignia(sewn on). If you would like, I can take some pics to see if there is something you like.

#31 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:25

There is a surplus store next to the base that has several BW tunics with all of the insignia(sewn on). If you would like, I can take some pics to see if there is something you like.

thanks paul check your email box :jumping: :rock on:

#32 Gordon Craig

Gordon Craig

People's Republic of Hungary Host

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 13:14

as to the panzer berets the order goes:
hard panzer beret (similar in design to the ww2)
soft beret (got 2 of them :jumping: )
black beret with tank badge (but without national flag)
black beret with tank badge (with national flag)

all 5 belonged to the same man who i brought it off a while back when he left the forces :jumping:

talltom,

Interesting collection of uniforms. Especially the panzer berets all to the same person. The beret was first authorized for wear on 18 September 1969 by Panzertruppe, Jaegertruppe, and Fallschirmjaeger. These early badges did not have the national colours on them and are hard to find. By the end of the 70s the beret was authorized for wear by all arms of the BW but all beret badges now had the national colours at the bottom. The soft early brown panzer beret comes in two slightly different variations. One with a brown leather band around the head opening and the other with a black leather band. The early brown berets for officers had silver wire embroidered cap badges. These berets are virtually impossible to find. I've only seen them in pictures. Glad to see someone post BW uniforms on the forum. Good luck in your future collecting.

Regards,

Gordon

#33 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 13:28

brilliant info Gordan ill have to look out for an officers grade beret never seen one
my 2 soft berets are dated 1960 and the other 1962
ive still yet to find a good early jagertruppe beret (without flag) very hard to find as well

#34 Gordon Craig

Gordon Craig

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 20:55

talltom,

Good luck in your search for an early jaegertruppe beret and badge. Luckily for me that was the first beret I bought. I didn't realize at the time that it was rare. Just dumb luck on my part.

Regards,

Gordon

#35 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 20:59

talltom,

Good luck in your search for an early jaegertruppe beret and badge. Luckily for me that was the first beret I bought. I didn't realize at the time that it was rare. Just dumb luck on my part.

Regards,

Gordon

very nice and lucky if you have the green piped schirmutze then your even luckier :jumping:

#36 Laurence Strong

Laurence Strong

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 19:05

Very nice collection. I have about 1/2 of the different hat badges, and a red berret with the panzer badge on it. would that be for panzer artillery?

#37 Gordon Craig

Gordon Craig

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 19:40

Laurence,

There is no Panzer artillery. Unfortunately, you have a beret with the wrong cap badge on it. Artillery would wear a red beret with their own cap bdge if they were assigned to a Panzer Division. They would wear the Panzer Divisions shield on their arm to indicate which division they were serving in.

Regards,

Gordon

#38 Laurence Strong

Laurence Strong

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 20:00

Thanks Gordon

#39 Paul R

Paul R

Regional Admin

• Regional Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:28

I have not forgotten. I will stop by that surplus store next week and take the pictures.

#40 talltom

talltom

• Banned
  • Pip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:10

couple of new items for the growing collection (might need a new room at this rate :whistle: )
new jager uniform 1963 with the piping around the collar and a nice early 57er infantry award also came with a nice infantry cap (finally got one)

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bundesrepublik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users