News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Million Elephants and the White Parasol

Stuka f

hello,

I was offered a small collection of medals, just don't know anything about them.

This medal is one of the lot

I only got this one pic.

It looks rather cheaply made to me!?

Any opinions are welcome.

Hi Stuka f,

I suppose this is a modern French made piece (modern but pre-1975). What I've seen that most people consider to be Lao made are quite crude (although Delande in Paris made some crude medals too...). (Photo of the back, which you don't have, might tell more for this medal especially.)

A piece like this went on French ebay on 2012 09 03 for 245 Euro (~US $315.76) - the seller listed it as a 1950's piece (cannot vouch the veracity, but I presume this might just be an estimate that it is not an older piece).

Recent French ebay prices of earlier normal French made pieces have been (2014 only) :

2014 02 22 - 363 Euro sold

2014 03 27 - listed at 800 Euro, but pulled (presumable sold off-ebay at a lower price)

2014 04 26 - listed at 450 Euro, but sold at best offer price (unknown price)

It's not the current Thai made version floating around (meaning, doesn't look like a copy).

Rgds,
    Dave

Hey Dave, thanks again!

I did indeed saw a (what I think to be.......!) French one sold for 500€ during my research.

Well I 'll see what I do when I get there, it will also depend on what the other medals look like the guy is selling, and the money left in the wallet!!

cheers

|<ris

• 4 months later...

Silver gilt pieces usually command higher prices [sometimes double!] than bronze gilt ones as do those with makers marks or the manufacturer's name impressed.