News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just a pocket watch: Capitaine Marcel Verzieux 3e Regt de Génie

Michael Johnson

This is one of my most treasured pieces. It belonged to my great uncle, Capitaine Marcel Verzieux 3e Regt de Génie.

It is a little bit damaged - note the crack in the dial.

So what's so special about it?

Probably saved his life.

Edited by Nick

Here's a little frame I put together for Oncle Marcel (left in photo). The Légion d'honneur came from his estate. We have a photo of him with the Croix de Guerre avec ?toile. The Croix de Combatant is speculative as I have no way of knowing whether he applied for his card. Victory and Commemorative complete the group. He was also entitled to the Médaille des Blessés.

The lower set represent the medals of his nephew, Adjt. Antonin Gautier (right in the photograph). He was killed in a collision with a squadron mate.

Beautifully. Marcel had the inner case cut out to accommodate the dent.

The family history is that it was a shell fragment (obus) that did the damage. I know he was wounded, but am not sure whether it was this incident or not.

Then there is his gas mask.

Complete but very brittle, and one lense is cracked.

His helmet is shown in the thread on Mdl 15 French helmets.

• 2 years later...

Thanks to Gilles Rolland on the Pages1418 Forum, I now have the following information.

Uncle Marcel was awarded the Croix de Guerre with gilt star July 23, 1916, for his actions June 14, 1916 at Fleury-devant-Douaument (Verdun). He was with company 2/13th of the 3rd Regiment of ENgineers. He was on reconnaissance, and was wounded in the shoulder blade by a shell exploding (I'm sure it was at this time his watch got beat up).

Citation:

An officer whose calm and courage are up to any test, inspiring confidence in everyone. Always in the breach at the defence of a village. Was wounded in the course of a reconnaisance in the front line, but continued his mission until his strength gave out. Returning to his post, he handed over command of the company to his Lieutenant.

By November at the latest, he was back with his company.

In 1933 he was awarded the Legion of Honor.

Beautifully. Marcel had the inner case cut out to accommodate the dent.

The family history is that it was a shell fragment (obus) that did the damage. I know he was wounded, but am not sure whether it was this incident or not.

Then there is his gas mask.

[attachmentid=48297]

[attachmentid=48298]GER

Complete but very brittle, and one lense is cracked.

His helmet is shown in the thread on Mdl 15 French helmets.

Michael, this is an interesting adaptation. Fitted to the FRENCH ARS 1917 is a GERMAN M18 additional clip-on Arsine Gas filter. It is not a surprise that these parts can fit, as the F ARS 17 was largely made to similar specifications to standard GERMAN gasmasks of the period. Here is a photo of the M18 additional clip-on Arsine Gas filter:

Here's a clearer picture of the gas mask. That's fascinating information, as I don't have much knowledge of European masks and filters.

I found a spare lense under the bottom divider of the can - it appears that this was standard practice (not surprisingly).

Citation:

An officer whose calm and courage are up to any test, inspiring confidence in everyone. Always in the breach at the defence of a village. Was wounded in the course of a reconnaisance in the front line, but continued his mission until his strength gave out. Returning to his post, he handed over command of the company to his Lieutenant.

Given the delay in even "immediate awards" in the British and Commonwealth armies, it is interesting to note that Uncle Marcel got his Croix de Guerre citation nine days after his action. And this was at the second highest level (Corps d'Arm?e).

• 2 years later...