News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Signals Corps

The Signals Branch of the Luftwaffe was one of the original career fields present when the Luftwaffe came out into the open on March 01, 1935. All personnel who were trained in communications and/or related equipment and assigned to Signals units wore this waffenfarbe.

The standard waffenfarbe for the Luftwaffe Signals branch was initially Light Brown. On 01Sept1936 when it was changed to Golden Brown. When attached to the Hermann Goering Division and the Luftwaffe Field Division, Signals personnel wore the collar tabs of the said unit, with the signals waffenfarbe present as an outer piping on the collar tabs, shoulderboards, or both(In the case of the LW Field Division).

These men wore the standard Luftwaffe uniform patterns, with their specific insignia.

Enlisted:

Funker- soldat

Oberfunker- Oberschutz

Funker Gefreiter- Grefeiter

Funker Obergefreiter- Obergrefeiter

Funker Unteroffizier - Unteroffizier

Unterwachtmeister- Unterfeldwebel

Funkmeister- Feldwebel

Oberfunkmeister- Oberfeldwebel

Stabsfunkmeister- Stabsfeldwebel

Officer:

Leutnant

Oberleutnant

Hauptmann

Major

Oberstleutnant

Oberst

Generalmajor

Generalleutnant

General der Nachrichtentruppe- Generaloberst/Head of Signals Services

Shoulder Straps

The Funker Unteroffizier on the left is for an NCO assigned to the Signals School. The NCO board on the right is for an Officer candidate, as noted by the double cord near the base of the board.

Possible cyphers:

"L" Air Signals Instruction School(Lehr)

"NS" Air Signals School

"RLM" Air Signals Battalion of the RLM

"OL"(superimposed)- Replaced the "RLM" cypher in December1938, for Air Signals Battalion of the RLM.

Trade Badges

Trade badges were worn by EM/NCO rankings who have completed certain qualifications. These were worn on the lower left sleeve, above the cuff. There could be a silver or gold piping around the badge.

1. Luftwaffe signals Blitz

2. Qualified Radio Instructor

3. Air Signals B Class Telephone Operator

More Trade Badges

1. Signals Personnel, B Class Radio Operators

2. Air Signals Personnel, B Class teleprinter Radio Operators

3. Qualified Sound Intercept Operator

Any data or militaria related to Luftwaffe Signals formations will be greatly appreciated.

This could include: period photos, insignia, uniforms, documents.

Luftwaffe Signals senior NCO, attached to the Luftwaffe High Command, and he probably had

seen service in Spain, as there are loops on the tunic for probably a Spanish Cross, which I will

add to the tunic down the track a bit, and I also apologise for the quality of some of these shots,

I will do some better photos soon too.

Bob

Hello

I made an attempt at a close up, from a picture that I have in my collection. It's not the best picture in the world, but it shows the arm of a soldier, with a signals trade badge. I am not shure if the NCO on the right, is a member of a signals unit. Difficult to say, from a black and white photo.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy