News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sergeant Stephan Stephanovich Mamenko

We'll get around to his OPW1 recommendation (= clumsy effort to create suspense), but let me run fairly quickly through the stack of other documents, two to a scan. Let me know if you want more details, as they may help fill gaps in the tale.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

And, while I'm sure there is much more to be learned by a careful reading and translation, here (thank the gods) is a translation of the core of the recommendation.

(You haven't mislaid those tissues, have you?)

And finally!

One certificate missing and (strangely?) no jubilee OPW.

Do you think that the Jubilee OPW could have been kept or lost from the grouping? I have never heard of anyone NOT getting one for a specific reason.

This is the first time I have seen a Zhukov medal document, actually awarded to someone. What was the criteria for this transitional award? Was it really an official award?

I also notice the Labor Victory medal. I wonder what he did for work with the wounds that he suffered? Ironically, he would have only had four medals at the wars end. The number of Jubilee medals is amazing!

I also wonder why this man did not receive the 20, 30, and 40 years of the Red Army Jubilee medals, as he served in the Civil War?

Do you think that the Jubilee OPW could have been kept or lost from the grouping? I have never heard of anyone NOT getting one for a specific reason.

I also notice the Labor Victory medal. I wonder what he did for work with the wounds that he suffered? Ironically, he would have only had four medals at the wars end. The number of Jubilee medals is amazing!

Dear Paul,

I assume, that the OPW 1cl (1985) is just missing in the group, but he got him for his severe wounds.

It is not a Labor Victory medal, but just the normal Military Victory medal.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Dear Ed,

congratulations - great group + great research :cheers: .

Your comrade lost his legs during the "Operations Mars" - Zhukov's greatest defeat, as we know -, which took place parallel to the destruction of Hitler's 6th Army in Stalingrad. The Soviets had terrible and unbelievable losses during the massacres around Rezhev. In the planning at the STAVKA "Mars" had been more important than Stalingrad - in reality it had been the other way round (the Soviets never estimated so many German, Romanian and Italian forces in and around Stalingrad!).

This OPW 1cl is an award from a rare und unknown battle with a great citation.

Christian

Sort of, sort of, the Medal for Valiant Labor in the Great Patriotic War. I assume this is for whatever he did from his wheelchair. Need someone skilled (where's Rick?) to take a good close squing at the stamp on that one? (Detyailed scans available as requested . . . ;) .)

Dear Paul,

sorry .... :blush: , it had been my mistake - he got both medals: Military + Labour - it's your point :cheers: .

I need new glasses ...

Christian

:cheers: No worries. You know more about this area than I probably ever will. I thought that I had mis learned something... : :speechless: