News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

No worries. The fact that the clerk responsible for filling in the form made a spelling mistake which he very crudely corrected does not help researchers so many years down the line!

Like it was not hard enough already!!!!

Jim :cheers:

Red Star # 1780032 was awarded to Lieutenant Baldan Demchin, a squadron commander in the 14th Cavalry Regiment, 5th Cavalry Division, ?? Army. The Red Star was awarded on 6 July 1945. The stamp originally read 'For fighting the German Agressors' but it was partially crossed out to read 'For fighting the Japanese Agressors'. On the bottom is 'Transbaikal-Amur Military District'. Demchin was born in 1916 and member of the MNRP - Mongolian Peoples Republic Party. Mongolian nationality, in the Red Army since 1938.

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Ferdinand! :cheers: That must be the abbreviation for "Mongolian" ASrmy-- same is used in his Party affiliation.

The back side of the card shows the Red Star was actually issued (vruchen) 13.9.46, per Ukaz of 3.11.45, so quite a prolonged process of approvals.

This is EXCEPTIONALLY interesting, Ed. This one

1,780,032 authorized in 1945 and handed over in 1946

and your other one

1,780,090 ALSO to a Mongolian recipient, on 28 May 1950.

I've got 1,781,725 entered in my data base as a Soviet recipient on 23 May 1945, so that is an absolute "top range" for the "Mongolian Boxful."

That is a powerful suggestion of one very small box of Red Stars set aside for Fraternal Comrades, with only 60 handed out in five years!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

To add to this, I have 3700025 - also obtained from Mongolia and supposedly awarded to a Mongolian.

Research is pending but no luck (yet).

Besides, I have in my notes (don't recall from where) 3700025 - 3700416 as the known range for Mongolian awardees of red stars.

• 1 year later...

As part of ongoing research on the Soviet awards of Lieutenant-General Damdin Tserenjav

see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23322

some interesting wider results turned up. I have the entire text of the order № 3710446 or the Transbaikal Front of 4 October 1945. It lists thirteen Red Banners and eighty-one Red Stars. I have a PDF of the four pages. The file is (of course) too big to post here. If anyone wants a copy, drop me an e-mail.