News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Wild Card,

Nice bar you have. The bar belonged to one officer of the I.R. Nr. 126 (the Chief is the Grossherzog von Baden). Of course Daniel Krause has the answer. For my information, the BZ3 is the first or second class with X.

The rules of Wurttemberg is very strange. One junior officer may received the WF3bX, and purposefor the WM3. Then, at the beginning of the war, he had to return the WF3bX. If the BZ3bX is correct, he received it when he was a simple Leutnant or Oberleutnant. Then with the years of the war, our officer became Hauptmann and he received again the Friedrich order but in the first grade this time. So for my the orders are :

EK2, WM3, WF3aX, BZ3bX, SLK

I will see what I have and I hope with name :unsure:

Regards

Christophe

Hi Wild Card,

niiiice bar!!!!

As Christophe already said, W?rttemberg can be very difficult because of that ridiculous return and re-award pracice.

But this case is out of the line quite easy to solve with my "Non-Wtbg. awards to W?rttembergians in WW1":

Eberhard Freiherr von Gemmingen-Hornberg, born 1883,

WM3 12.01.1917 as Rittmeister in UR 19, he had to return for it his golden Military Merit Medal, awarded 15.07.1915 as 1st Lt.

WF3aX 25.01.1918

(Dates from the still un-published Wtbg rolls)

BZ3bX 31.12.1915 as 1st Lt in the Ulan 20

SLK 21.09.1918 as RM in Ulan 19

additional EK1 and knight of the Order of St.John.

Best regards

Daniel

Guest Rick Research

A bit more:

Eberhard Freiherr von Gemmingen-Hornberg

Born Heilbronn 9 December 1883

Entered W?rttemberg army as Fahnenjunker 12.04.04

Leutnant 19.10.05 L in K.W. Ulanen Regiment 20

Oberleutnant circa 05.09.14

Rittmeister 18.09.15 W

And aD in that rank

The "weird" Schaumburg award is due to the Queen (born Princess of Schaumburg) being the honorary patron of Ulan Rgt 20. An SLK in any W?rttemberg group is virtually always an indication of service with that regiment.

Remember the regimental paymaster's medal bar?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22066&hl=Keim

Great bar and great to add such a name!

Those "von Gemmingen" were a "tribe" (in some lines) from southwest Germany, many in military and state service, some in baden and some in W?rttemberg. My father has some nice portraits, but from v. Gemmingens in Baden military service in 1860s and 70s - but no pictures handy, sorry. But this junior Eberhard is not amung these, so not to pity. ;)