News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: So THAT'S what this is!

[attachmentid=18512]

This has been in my Unknowables Pile for eons-- I had assumed something thrilling like a FRENCH municipal employees' credit union long service award or similar--

but red, white, and blue were the COLONY colors of the German Schutztruppen, so this makes sense as a generic "Old Africa Hands" commercial ribbon.

Thanks Heiko! :cheers:

And Bob-- PM me your address. You need this more than my Clutter Box does!

just to complete the confusion I want to say that red-white-blue are also the colours of the german state Schleswig Holstein and I know some regimental,veteran or rememberance medals from there having similar ribbons... :blush:

Heiko

PS: I really like this gentleman behaviour in here - great forum, great people, great world :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I would like to point out that this ribbon (sort of) appears again among Imperial German decorations. For some inexplicable reason, the impossibly rare Brunswick 1827 officers 25 year long service cross has this ribbon reversed, so it comes out blue, white and red in a 40 mm width.

I have always been intrigued by this ribbon because it does not fit in with any of the other Brunswick ribbon color patterns - blue/yellow and red/yellow. Also, while it obviously emulates the French tricolor pattern, the Brunswickers were among the fiercest enemies of Napoleons armies. Unlike many other German states, Brunswick never had any alliances with the French.

Any ideas out there?

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...

the first time I saw this combination but I have no problems with it.... medal is some kind of rememberance medal and the other thing is from the main german vets organization "deutscher Krieger Bund" with the possibility to put the cross or medal from your local warriors club on it - as happened here.

Heiko

the southwest medal here was an national thing, but not official. The other thing with the ribbon was a national thing, too, of the "Deutsche Kriegerbund". Normally on that thing with the ribbon belonged some crosses or medals from local vet organizations... for example: the ribbon/badge on top and then a cross "Kriegerverein Massachusetts 2006" ;) so you had the combination of national and local. The southwest medal here does not belong to the other thing but what is our most said sentence 2005????? : "Everything is possible" ;) not only in Weimar times.....

Edited by HeikoGrusdat

Thanks Heiko, I have not pursued the knowledge of veteran pieces/1920's items as far as I probably should. There are times my brain feels full enough with respects to aviation pieces....... My buddy Mike Dunn has a pretty neat/extensive collection and interest in veteran's pieces.

• 4 weeks later...