News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - 9 medal group that got away !

RobW

To all,

I recently missed out on this group by a matter of hours but thought I would post the pics to see what the consensus is.

The group was described as:

* Order of the White Eagle, Knight with swords

* Milosh Oblitch Bravery small gold

* Milosh Oblitch Bravery small gold

* Milosh Oblitch Bravery large silver

* Retreat to Albania 1915

* Medal for Military Virtue 1883

* Balkan War medal 1912

* 2nd Balkan War Cross 1913

* 1914-1918 War Cross

While there is a fair degree of damage to the Order of the White Eagle I would still have considered this a good group.

Happy to hear from those with considerably more experience in this area than I.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

A real beaut of a bar alright, the first time i have seen a complete Serbian bar this large. Is there any way to determine the recipient, similar to working out the imperial German medal bars? (Why did most of continental Europe not name their medals? Gah!)

Sam.

"By a matter of hours"?

That dealer had it for at least a year...

Hello new world,

It is all a matter of perspective. I was not specifically searching for the item until a related search led me to the same area and I noticed the group. After some other checking and research, by the time I had returned 'a couple of hours later' the item had sold!

On a related note it did actually have a good finish as it led me somewhere else where I picked up 2 Serbian Commemorative Cross' for the War of Liberation and Union, 1914-1918. One is the Arthus Bertrand produced cross with an award document to a Serbian officer, and the other a Huguenin Freres produced cross in a box to a French soldier, with the corresponding award document.

Even though I was disappointed at the time I am philosophical about such things and I have had a good result with the cross' so all is good. :D When I have time I will scan the items and post pics.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello new world,

It is all a matter of perspective. I was not specifically searching for the item until a related search led me to the same area and I noticed the group. After some other checking and research, by the time I had returned 'a couple of hours later' the item had sold!

On a related note it did actually have a good finish as it led me somewhere else where I picked up 2 Serbian Commemorative Cross' for the War of Liberation and Union, 1914-1918. One is the Arthus Bertrand produced cross with an award document to a Serbian officer, and the other a Huguenin Freres produced cross in a box to a French soldier, with the corresponding award document.

Even though I was disappointed at the time I am philosophical about such things and I have had a good result with the cross' so all is good. :D When I have time I will scan the items and post pics.

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

I didn't mean any sarcasm towards you, it's just your phrase reminded me how many times I saw this group sitting on a web site and you made it sound like it was snapped immediately after it was listed.

On the positive note - will you please show us your documented crosses?

William

Rob,

On the positive note - will you please show us your documented crosses?

William

Hello William,

I can do that. The items are in transit at the moment from Slovenia, so they will take a bit of time to make there way to Australia. Once they arrive I shall scan the medals, boxes, and award certificates for the perusal of all.

There is already an existing thread at: 'Serbia - Different Types of Commemorative WW1', so I'll post the pics there.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 3 weeks later...

Hello William & SasaYu,

The items in question have arrived from Slovenia. When I have time this coming weekend I will scan them and post pics on the thread ''Serbia - Different Types of Commemorative WW1'. Hope it will be of use to all.

Regards,

Rob