News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to store large documents?

Hello Chris,

The largest copy that I could make was 11" x 17"($2-3). Anything bigger than that would have to be put through the machine which is not a good idea. I made my own copies.

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

your document shows signs that appear like foxing,

if it is foxing, you may way to contact a paper conservator

to stabilize and prevent any further damage.

it might not be needed, but I'd rather an expert advised you.

what might this be, I'm having trouble reading the fine print

thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I purchased a couple of portfolios from the site Ed posted. I got the 11" x 14" and they are real nice. My largest document now fits. :jumping:

thanks,

barry

Barry, do you have a item number or name for your portfolio?? Like looks like it would work out nicely. Mike

Back to my original question: I seem to have found perfect solution to my needs.

Manufacturer ITOYA has a line of archival quality portfolios, they come in various sizes. Inside each portfolio are 24 plastic (acid-free!) sleeves with black paper inserts (archiving grade). You basically get space to store 48 documents. Plastic sleeves are held together by durable plastic cover.

Portfolios look neat and provide safe storage for my documents.

Here's the link to ITOYA site so you can see the entire product line. As I said - they offer wide variety of sizes:

http://www.artprofolio.com/Art_profolio.htm

I bought several 11 x 17 inch portfolios on eBay, they are about $20-25 in this size depending on the seller.

William

• 1 month later...

Look for the Maximum-system of binders from Leuchtturm with pockets up to 350 mm x 335 mm.

Lindner has some binders for even larger documents in the A3-range (423 mm x 302 mm) or even larger (508 mm x 340 mm).

How safe are the UNIPLATE Stock Sheets from Lindner (http://www.lindner-usa.com/catalog/multi-purpose/40-41.html)

They say: "Of course, UNIPLATE stock sheets are made of the highest quality material - Hard-PVC which is 100% free of any chemical softeners."

To me, anything with PVC is bad, is it?

I am looking for a model which will be safe and allow a lot of flexibilty in layouts. I need to mix pages within the same album to accomodate large, medium and smaller document. This UNIPLATE have a lot of sheet layouts to choose from and if it is safe for paper it would be good for me.

Etienne

yes stay away from pvc

what you want is mylar

which itself has a variey of names

all will also tell you they are archival

Even the "Unplasticized PVC" ??

According to wikipedia, there is a big difference between uPVC and PVC. And the price of Lindner sheets is more priced toward archival safe than simple cheap PVC. Anybody knows if they are ok?

From Wikipedia:

Unplasticized polyvinyl chloride (uPVC)

Modern "Tudorbethan" house with uPVC gutters and downpipes, fascia, decorative imitation "half-timbering", windows and doors. uPVC or Rigid PVC is often used in the building industry as a low maintenance material, particularly in the UK, and in the USA where it is known as vinyl, or vinyl siding.[5][6]. The material comes in a range of colours and finishes, including a photo-effect wood finish, and is used as a substitute for painted wood, most obviously for window frames and sills when installing double glazing in new buildings or to replace older single glazed windows. It has many other uses including fascia, and siding or weatherboarding. The same material has almost entirely replaced the use of cast iron for plumbing and drainage, being used for waste pipes, drainpipes, gutters and downpipes.[7]

Due to environmental concerns[8] use of PVC is discouraged by some local authorities[9] in countries such as Germany and The Netherlands. This only concerns PVC rather than uPVC as it is the plasticizers in PVC that are the problem. uPVC does not contain these plasticizers.

• 2 months later...
    • 6 years later...

Hi All,

I've been using polypropylene archival protectors in binders. There are various sizes, they are archival, and in the presentation binders they are convenient to access and transport. I keep them laying flat.

http://www.rexart.com/ppc_start1.html#4672

http://www.rexart.com/ppc_nr_refills.html

For larger than 24" x 18", I use the Alvin print protectors (although these are not ideal, because they have a thick edge and take much more room - I found no alternative)

http://www.rexart.com/alv_print_protectors.html#12075

For the larger Alvin print protectors, I keep them in a Prat portfolio

http://www.rexart.com/ppc_s1_portfolio.html

(Portfolio is without the multi-ring clips, whereas presentation binder has the clips to hold the pages)

That's about the best I could find for archival protection.

However, if you go with a conservation service, I read that they will put into mylar envelopes and seal the edges. However, I don't know the details of any such service. (Still should probably keep in a large flat box, or one of the Prat portfolio for convenience.)

Rgds,

Dave

www.indochinamedals.com

Edited by ThaiDave

• 3 weeks later...

My take on things from this thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/42699-document-storage-and-preservation/

there are times when you don't want a document to
    touch the glass, that is why you have document mats

And here's why:

Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure, 3rd Class - what you are looking at is the glass that the original was touhing for God knows how many years. Absolutely everything wrong was done with this document for displaying it. There was a significant amount of transfer of everything from the document to the glass - AMAZINGLY the document still looks fairly decent all considered.