News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officer Class of Bulgaria Order for Civil merit

Dear Members,

Here i am listing the all Emmissions of the Officer Class of Bulgaria Order for Civil Merit

It took me a good time to collect them, especially the 1937 King Boris III Emmission with the flat back center

Regards

Graf

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely, you have a bronze-gilt officer or 4th class badge made about 1900-1908 in Vienna by Schwertner. This opinion based on the badge's overall appearance, the 'Czarist' type suspension crown and that the reverse side oakleaves are not enameled.

Hi AnnMarie,

First of all --very nice Order

If the size of the cross is is 50 mm in diameter it is 4-th Class (Officer) of the Order -Second Ferdinand Emmission -1908-1918

The crown is Kings Type and it was introduced after Prince Ferdinand proclaimed himself as KIng and Bulgaria from Principality became Kingdom in 1908

Your Order lacks its ribbom with the rosette for Officer Class

As 922F mentioned, this Emmission has the oakleves on the reverse gilded similar to the First Ferdinand Emmision 1891-1908 The only diffrence is the crown which was replaced from Princely(domed and rounded - second order on my picures) to Kings type.

Also The Lion,on the reverse medallion of the First Two Emmissions,, is with rounded crown and rouned Saxon Shield.

Regards

Graf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi William,

Thank you

By all means.. be my guest Sorry I have to post the Officer with the Knigt Class, however the Officer is not by my hand at the moment. Ths is recently taken photo of both classes as comparission

Just notice how finer is the Knight Class ( by the way it is a "rare bird")

Kind Regards

Graf

Graf,

Thanks for posting pics.

It gets even more interesting. For First Ferdinand emission (with princely crown) there were actually two types, different by finish on the reverse to gold-plated leaves:

1) Type 1 - with flat reverse, detailes are hand engraved. From 1891 to 1900

2) Type 2 - with stamped leaves reverse, no hand finishing, leaves detailes are stamped, with 3-D like effect. From 1900 to 1908

Both of your 4th and 5th classes are of 2nd Type of Knyaz' Ferdinand iissue.

Attached is pic of Type 1 - note hand finishing.

Hi New world,

Thanks for the info I khow about that because I have both types

Yes, the one with the hand crafted oak leaves is the very first one 1891 Emmission

Most of the orders made before 1900, not only Bulgarian, have hand crafted parts

However, I still believe that the 1937 emmision with a flat back central medallion is the most rare one.

Regards

Graf

Hi New World,

Here is a picture of the Two Types together

I noticed that apart from the hand crafted back of the oak leaves there are also some other features of the first type

- flat corns and leaves on the back

-the pendalia -the arms of the crown are shorter and also hand crafted

- the Lion is different -but not much

- the crown is just a little bit flatter on top then the second type

Regards

Graf

Nice pair!

I am still looking for Type 2 with Princely crown to add to my collection. Yes, acorns are different, as they were also stamped flat and hand finished on Type 1.

Another interesting difference between 2 types - 5th and 6th classes of Type 1 were without crown only, crown was added from about year 1900 to Type 2.

Hi New world,

I do not know whether Officer Class -4-th Class has ever had Variation withouth crown.in all emmisions including the Regents' one.

You might have in mind the Knight Class- 5-th Class.which comes withouth crown

Remember only 5-th and 6-th Classes have Variations withoth crown, but not the higher Classes.

There are pieces on the market of the Commander Class 3-rd Class of the Republican Emmissin withouth crown

For example,.at the moment thre is one Commander of the Republican Emmission, on EBay.com for sale,.withouth crown

However I believe that the crown was removed and because of lack of the wreath.was awarded withouth crown.

This fact is only anecdotal and is based on the single pieces in the market withouth crown..however is any strong evidence to confirm this?!

Also , other fact is that there are pieces on the market with the Lion, on the obverse medallion, without crown, however with the Bulgarian Flag on the reverse meddalion. However thre are more likely to be transitional ones.

Here it is Commander Regents' Emmission --it comes with crown

Regards

Graf

this is the obverse view -you can see one Commnder has Lion without crown as for the Republican Emmission

while the other Commander has typical Regents' Type Lion with crown.

Graf

Also , other fact is that there are pieces on the market with the Lion, on the obverse medallion, without crown, however with the Bulgarian Flag on the reverse medalilon. However thre are more likely to be transitional ones.

Hi New World,

This sentence might have been not quite clear.... i was refering to The Regents' Emmission

Hi New World,

Here is the Republican Emmission of the Commander, which is listed on EBay.com, without the wreath,

Although, it comes with a temporal Document, I still believe tha this Emmission has a wreath

Any existing pieces whitout wreath are just a case for a lack of such one.

Regards

Graf

Here's one from a private collection.

It's on a bow, hence it's 1st class for ladies, however this is tha same as 4 class. As you can see - gilded cross without crown. This if from 1944 and later period.

This is transitional award. In my opinion the crown was probably removed when monarchy ended. It's possible it was meant to be awarded with a wreath, but they didn't have wreath in stock and made one without. We will never know whether crown was removed at the workshop or by recipient.

Perhaps this is not official piece, but they are definitely out there.

Hi New World,

Yes I agree with you regarding the Orders withouth crown or wreath.

There are few pieces out there in private collections and come from time to time on the market.

However, I slightly desagree that they are not official pieces, just they did not have the wreath at the time of awarding.

There is anecdotal information that few high Classess pieces without wreath form all Bulgarian Orders were awarded to Soviet Union Generals.

Anyway thy do exxist and we only can speculate. ..Only the awarded persons can tell us the true story...if they can recollect it (just a joke)

Regards

Graf

It was difficult transitional period, there could be all kinds of circumstances.

Af for awarding orders without crown to Soviet Generals - they definitely awarded both with and without crown. Here's photo with 2 Soviet generals, they wear St Alexander orders with crown and swords (1st class and 3rd class).

Colonel-General Biryuzov is in the center and wears 1st class.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Members

I have this Medal from my Bulgarian great-grandfather. It appears to be an Order for Civil Merit Silver Cross.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-14050-0-89064900-1340202633.jpg.

Below is a picture of him. I managed to trace the uniform and found out that he was a member of the Bulgarian Life Guard Cavalry.

Can anyone explain the difference between the regular Civil Merit medals (like the ones posted on this topic) and the Silver Cross? Also, I would be really grateful if you could trace what year was it issued in.

Thank you kindly!

Edited by Ikon

Hi Ikon,

This is VI Class of the order without crown . This Class does not have enamel and comes in silvered metal.

The period is difficult to gess, however it can be estimated around WW1 It is missing the ribbon

This Class was awarded in two Variations with crown and without crown and was given to lowest ranking clerks or military persons.

From the picture it looks like your Great-Grandfather was a Life Guard without rank, which explains the Class he was given

Regards

Graf

• 3 weeks later...