News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Glory of Early White Elephants

JapanX

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Indeed Dave!

Wrong set of pictures (I wonder what I was thinking while posting them - where is the elephant?!)

Next goal - find the right set (I wonder where the hell is it?!)

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. You sure right about the ribbon ;)

Edited by JapanX

I think the suspension is correct, just the ribbon (cravet) is of course wrong. The lower suspension is correct for the OC, but the upper suspension (ribbon loop) is somewhat different. So maybe this is a sash badge, rather than commander class - if you look carefully on the back-side, the ribbon loop is a thin round tube, with one piece that fits inside the other and can be un-clipped - perhaps so it can clip on the sash ? I have two like this, and one has also a second small loop ring on the back left side of the medal pendant - maybe also for clipping ? The others I have all have "regular" ribbon loops. I also have one like this for the OWE (below), with the rest "regular".

thai_owe_t1_ribbon_loop.JPG

...but the upper suspension (ribbon loop) is somewhat different. So maybe this is a sash badge, rather than commander class - if you look carefully on the back-side, the ribbon loop is a thin round tube, with one piece that fits inside the other and can be un-clipped - perhaps so it can clip on the sash ?

Could be ;)

BTW, great site you created Dave!

Many thanks!

Regards,

Nick

Dave or anyone,

I wonder if you can help me (slightly off-topic) I was giving a talk yesterday on foreign awards to British servicemen WW1 and asked members to bring along any related groups. I was shown one group which amongst other things contained a 2nd class set of the crown, type 2, similar but of better quality than that which is awarded now. He claimed that it had been awarded during the great war period (from award point of view ) up to 1921. When exactly was the type 2 first issued?

It will settle an argument and hopefuly silence a smug ba*****d

Paul

• 1 year later...
    • 7 months later...

Dear all,

From a purely historical standpoint, the very first type of the Order of the White Elephant that covers the 1861-1865 period looks like the attached 1st Class badge. If I am not mistaken, four classes were created in 1861 for Thai nationals plus a single class for foreigners, i.e five different types but all of them in a similar breast star shape. This lasted till 1865 when the new breast star design that has been shown in this post was adopted with additional elements like breast badge, sash badge, neck badge etc...It is true that many changes and reforms have altered the organization and the design of this order in the 19th and 20th century. Excellent documentation does exist in Thai language, unfortunately much less in European vernaculars. Maa pen rai....("not to worry" in Thai...).

Regards to all.

KimKan

• 2 months later...
    • 5 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...
    On 09/11/2014 at 11:44, Igor Ostapenko said:

Hi Igor,

To me this looks like a Benson box.  But I don't have a medal or a picture of a medal by Benson to confirm the design details that it is their manufacture. Perhaps eventually the stopped marking their medals, as the rest of the manufacturers eventually have.

I have seen Benson manufacturing thru the later type also.

Rgds

Dave

On 09/11/2014 at 11:44, Igor Ostapenko said:

post-343-0-92914300-1415519042.jpg