News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 167
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

Just one more clarification. The painted steel buckles, the so-called M15 buckles, were authorized in January of 1915 for both the Prussians and Bavarians. Due to problems with rusting, a new steel was adopted in early 1916 (Siemens-Martin-Stahlblech). Supposedly, this buckle had a matt zink treatment and then was painted with a clear rust prohibiting coating.

Chip

Dan,

Yes, it is a shame. It is the original tab, however, so given the choice, I would opt for an unmarked tab as opposed to no tab at all. My M95 navy/colonial buckle has a tab with the imperial crown and "M" marking.

Chip

Dan,

Sorry, I was not referring to your buckle not having a tab. I was just stating that on mine I was happy to have a tab, though I agree with you that a marked one would have been preferable. Maybe I could have said it better so you wouldn't have assumed that the comment was aimed at your buckle.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

[attachmentid=55565]Hello fellow members. This is my first post. I am a Peruvian historian teaching history at Universidad de Lima in Peru. A course I teach deals with XIX and XX century Europe so the subjects of this forum are part of it. Besides I have a collection of First World War postcards. There are some German cards which I cannot clasify because they have no information. And I am sure you could help me.

Here I post an officer who has a belt with a crown in the bucke. I have not seen any similar crown bucke in the forum. Is it possible to know the grade and regiment? Could someone tell me more about it?. Thank you in advance.

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo

Eduardo

Your soldier is an infantry lance corporal (gefreiter) from the state of Hesse. He is wearing a M-1907 feldgrau waffenrock. You would need to know the numbers or cypher on the shoulder straps to identify which specific regiment.

Dave

Edited by dwmosher

Eduardo,

The setting for the photo is a studio with a painted backdrop, though quite a nice one. The soldier does not appear to be wearing any shoulder straps. The M07/10 uniform was made up until it was replaced in the spring of 1915 by a simplified version.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chip,

Would you post some pics of that one? Bloody rare with tab and acceptance stamps. Couple of years ago, I lost a bid on one of these with the belt - also with acceptance stamps - to a French collector on German ebay. To me, these are very special, so I'd love to see yours!

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Kurt

My M95 navy/colonial buckle has a tab with the imperial crown and "M" marking.

Chip