News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Met constable retires after 47 years

The country's longest-serving policeman is retiring after almost 47 years on the job aged 66 !

PC Mick Mountain joined the Metropolitan police in 1966 and for the past 18 years has worked at the Place of Westminster

He recalled one frightening arrest when the man, who was holding a hand grenade, threatened to pull the pin.

PC Mountain ripped the grenade from him before throwing it into open space.

Although he feared for his life, he said it is not until after that sort of scenario is over that you realise the danger you were in, and "that's what police do".

PC Mountain, who is married with two children, is looking forward to enjoying travelling more in his retirement.

The photo's show him at Horse Guards parade for trooping the colour in 1972 & at Horse Guards last week

The guy must have been a glutton for punishment.

If he isn't an MBE, he deserves to be.

After all, he's saved the taxpayer a fortune in pension payments over the last 17 years !

Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Robin or 219PG,

He looks like he has had an eventfull career, grenades are not your everyday occurance, would he have been decorated for that, if not he should have been.

As ex police I ask you why was he not selected for promotion or is this not like the military?

Is this a personal choice within the police as I can't imagine he would not have progressed otherwise?

Regardless its a very long time at the front line and I hope he gets to travel!

Regards

Jock:)

Robin - Saw him on the news - was wearing Long service/good conduct, Golden Jubilee & Diamond Jubilee medals - No MBE !!

Jock In the British police service it is up to the individual if they want to take promotion - its common for guys who like to work on the front line to remain a constable or sergeant for their entire service.

Robin or 219PG,

He looks like he has had an eventfull career, grenades are not your everyday occurance, would he have been decorated for that, if not he should have been.

As ex police I ask you why was he not selected for promotion or is this not like the military?

Is this a personal choice within the police as I can't imagine he would not have progressed otherwise?

Regardless its a very long time at the front line and I hope he gets to travel!

Regards

Jock,

In the UK police officers aspiring for advancement are required to take examinations. Firstly for promotion to Sergeant and secondly for promotion to Inspector. Advancement beyond that is on merit (and often whether your face fits). However, passing the examinations does not mean automatic promotion! I knew two Constables during my service who were qualified for promotion to Sergeant and Inspector. But both, completed their service as Constables. One in particular took and passed the examinations simply to show his bosses that he could do so, but stressed that he had no interest in advancing any further. The second, although able to pass the examinations was totally incompetent. In fairness to him, he knew his own practical limitations and again did not seek advancement. In the UK we do not promote Police Officers simply because of their long service, we require a little more than that.

Dave.

Guest Rick Research

Promotion policy the same in the U.S.-- by examinations (now "weighted" for fill-in-the-blank "fitting") BUT the higher the rank, the more time spent behind a desk and playing office politics, rather than being out on the streets with people and DOING police work.

In the UK we do not promote Police Officers simply because of their long service, we require a little more than that.

Well said!

As an aside, since the eight old Forces in Scotland amalgamated into one earlier this year, the chances of promotion for anyone, at any level, is about zero.

A scythe has been taken to the rank structure.

Guys,

I am unfamiliar with the police policy and rank structure.

I did not intend to imply the guy was not good enough for promotion or any such thing.

I was hoping it was a personal choice for him which it would appear to be?

The last two officers that dealt with grenades sadly died and I thought his bravery may have been recognised one way or another, thats all.

In contrast if you are not ambitious these days within the UK armed forces (Army or Defence Force these days) the 'scythe' can be quite quick and ruthless.

Not seen these days are the 22 year Gunner , Pte , Sapper, etc that were ever present characters in my day.

We also never promoted on time served at the NCO rank, occasionaly it was explained to me that 'Officers' were 'sacked' with promotion in that the hope they would reach a level where they could do no damage due to the large and efficient staff below and they had no influence as such or could be easily directed.

I think our Police Force do a fantastic job in difficult times on a tight budget.

Of course I will disagree if they pull me next week for driving like I'm on the Autobahn!

• 5 years later...