News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can you please tell us if it is painted or embroidered or whatever?

To me it looks like it was embroidered... and matches the size of a general naval officers breast eagle.

Not very exiting...

It could have been glued on any material for whatever reason....

What is the glue like? (modern or ancient?)

Value?

To my opinion, whatever...

Edited by Odulf

Can you please tell us if it is painted or embroidered or whatever?

To me it looks like it was embroidered... and matches the size of a general naval officers breast eagle.

Not very exiting...

It could have been glued on any material for whatever reason....

What is the glue like? (modern or ancient?)

Value?

To my opinion, whatever...

Thats 185mm or 18.5cm by 75mm or 7.5cm, not even a German Genaral has a chest that big surely except on comedy sketches? Do you mean 85mil?

I am looking at Uniforms and Traditions of the KM, volume 3 p314, at the bottom is a schematic of veh penant sizes.

I have done the maths from the sketch and if it is 330mm in lengnth represented by roughly 55mm in the picture that would make the eagle in the picture roughly 15cm and a bit? Give or take since the other pic is 350mm so there must have been a bit of variation between different manufacturers?

A possability?

Jock:)

Edited by Jock Auld

The birdy is looking to the right! So no Wehrmacht at all. It's a party eagle. And it is even to big for a vehicle penant.

There are only two things with an embroidered golden party eagle this size, that come to my mind. But they are so unrealistic...

Maybe someone else has a better idea first?

The birdy is looking to the right! So no Wehrmacht at all. It's a party eagle. And it is even to big for a vehicle penant.

There are only two things with an embroidered golden party eagle this size, that come to my mind. But they are so unrealistic...

Thats interesting because if you look at the next page in the reference and the (period)picture at the bottom of p316 between 3 pages they seem to be looking in both directions, maybe they knew something was coming?

Or perhaps it is to do with the way the penant is flying?

Edited by Jock Auld

Are you sure about the eagle not being Wehrmacht?

Edited by Odulf

Guys,

I have just done a basic google by image for 'Kreigsmarine car pennant', it throws up a lot of other arms too and it is interesting that the Luftwaffe eagle seems to do the same thing, ie it is looking forward in the direction of travel?

There are others on there that don't, like the DDAC or the police?

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I am with you Jock, I think it is cut from a vehicle pennant, and the eagles from these pennants always have their heads facing to the front of the pennant,

so one side will have the eagle looking the other way from the one on the opposite side of the pennant.

Hope that makes sense !

Cheers

Bob