Egyptian Zogist

Kingdom of Egypt (1922-1953)

38 posts in this topic

"Amazing" is the word!

Thank you very much indeed.

Hey everyone! I found the orders of dress for the Royal Egyptian Navy from 1925, from the Standing Orders for the royal yacht El Mahroussa. I found these scans on the Facebook page of the Rare Books and Special Collections section of the Alexandria Library. I'm going to translate them as best as I can, but for now, here are the orders of dress listed for naval officers:

1. Full ("Grand") Dress Uniform - Winter

2. Full Dress Uniform - Summer

3. Lesser Winter Dress Uniform - with epaulets

4. Lesser Winter Dress uniform without epaulets

5. "Daily" uniform - Winter

6. Lesser Dress uniform - Summer

7. "Daily" uniform - Summer

There are also general rules, such as that the King's ADC wears an aiguillette on the right shoulder, while staff officers wear it on the left. 

I wish there were drawings included, but it does make some of the uniforms I've seen in photos and videos make more sense.

11202987_861123097297511_6729569854249329472_o.jpg

11865135_861123060630848_57371419938271367_o.jpg

11894391_861123050630849_783344988626689949_o.jpg

Very interesting, and a great find! Thank you for posting these!

I should explore the Alexandria Library's Facebook page. I've spent some time digging around their website, which has some nice material (archive photos and some official documents from both the Kingdom and Republic era) but is extremely un-user-friendly. It requires lots of patience, cunning, and some knowledge of Arabic to trawl through.

The most obvious medal-related page from the website is this photo gallery of Egyptian and foreign medals in the library's collection - possibly originally from the Montazah Palace and since taken into the state archives?

http://modernegypt.bibalex.org/Collections/Medals/MedalsLucene.aspx

Chris

The Royal Egyptian Army was based on the Khedives Army which was British patterned . Dr Chris Flaherty in his work about ottoman uniforms  dedicates a section to the Egyptian Army till 1919 . 

21 hours ago, Bayern said:

The Royal Egyptian Army was based on the Khedives Army which was British patterned . Dr Chris Flaherty in his work about ottoman uniforms  dedicates a section to the Egyptian Army till 1919 . 

Bayern,

Is this the work you're talking about? It's a very nice website and deserves to be shared here.

https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com

Hello : Yes its the site . Very interesting , contains much data and of quality , 

Chris, 

Thanks for that link in your May 15, 2016 post. I had not seen this before and it is the only internet source I've seen so far for a museum's collection catalogue entry featuring the Abbas Hilmi II coronation & return from Hegaz commemorativ medal I asked about at the end of last year. Is that the online collection catalog from the Alexandria Library? Sorry, I do not read Arabic.

Rusty

Rusty, 

Glad that link was helpful. The page would seem to show the collection of medals held at the Bibliotheca Alexandrina (there are similar pages for online collections of photographs, books, audio and video files).

There's an English language page here, but it has much less content. http://www.bibalex.org/en/default You could try contacting someone via that page.

I have not actually been to the library, so cannot confirm if the medals are on public display, in storage, or even physically at the library. 

Chris 

ID: 34   Posted (edited)

Chris ,

I visited the BA in February and whilst I can confirm that it is well worth a visit if you are in Alexandria, there is no medal display or exhibit. There are a few medals on display at the National Museum and also at the Jewellery Museum but the displays of themselves would not justify a visit to Alexandria.

Kind regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

10 hours ago, oamotme said:

Chris ,

I visited the BA in February and whilst I can confirm that it is well worth a visit if you are in Alexandria, there is no medal display or exhibit. There are a few medals on display at the National Museum and also at the Jewellery Museum but the displays of themselves would not justify a visit to Alexandria.

Kind regards,

Owain

Owain,

Did you find anything there that was militaria or vexillology related at all? I'd like to go the B.A. but those are pretty much the only topics I'd be interested in finding books or documents about. There is an entire room of orders, medals and decorations in the ِAbdeen Palace museum complex. If I get a chance to go I'll try to take pictures. There are also watercolors (I think that's what they are) of Egyptian military uniforms of the monarchy period. 

Picture of the orders and medals section, from http://www.cairo.gov.eg

قسم الأوسمة والنياشين.jpg

ID: 36   Posted (edited)

Nothing specific at all in all three museums. I'll next be in Cairo in October and will again visit both the Abdeen Palace and the Military Museum - the latter I believe was set up many years ago with the assistance of all people the North Koreans hence there is a somewhat propaganda driven feel to the whole place. The Abdeen Palce is nice but 'could be better' but all in all both are well worth a visit.

Regards,

Owain

P.S. On another matter I note your post on HM Yacht Maroussa - do you have any information on its predecessor HMS Noor al Bahr?

Edited by oamotme

ID: 37   Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, oamotme said:

... and the Military Museum - the latter I believe was set up many years ago with the assistance of all people the North Koreans hence there is a somewhat propaganda driven feel to the whole place.

You can say that again!!* Now you have revealed who the 'midwife' was, I can understand why :) 

* (from my memory of a visit seven or eight years ago)

Edited by Trooper_D

2 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

You can say that again!!* Now you have revealed who the 'midwife' was, I can understand why :) 

* (from my memory of a visit seven or eight years ago)

You're both spot-on. North Korea remodeled the Military Museum at the Citadel around 1988/89 -- which used to be a nice place -- and also helped with the October War Panorama a decade later. North Korea was repaying a debt to Egypt: Egypt sold them Scud missiles, which were the basis of the entire North Korean ballistic missile program of today. Who got the better end of that deal?