News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare photo from WW 1 - can anybody advise what sort of device soldier is carrying on his back?

Hallo ,

Recently , I came across picture from WW 1 era and just wonder what sort of device is on soldiers back? Can't be wireless set- way to early for that sort of device. 

Can someone explain what is it  and what is it for.

Regards,

Fritzel 

IMG_2280.JPG

FRITZEL,

It certainly looks like a radio antenna to me.  I think this photo dates post WWI and these men appear to be members of a police organization from the stars on their headgear.  If you could read what it says on the antenna perhaps you would have the info that you need to tell you what is going on in the picture.  If it is ok with you I would like to post this on a police forum and see if the device can be iidentified.

Regards,

Gordon

Hallo,

Thank you for taking time to reply and explanation. I do not have rights to the pic so I am unable to grant  you permission.( some of pics are 100 years old plus so not sure if copy rights still apply - pardon me but I am not a lawyer  - and computer geek  ) 

Regards,

FRITZEL

Hallo,

Jock Auld Thanks for stoping by.  So is this sort of " Deutsche Autobahn Polizei " ??? 

Regards,

FRITZEL

P.S. Sorry Gents, it ended up here ( wrong forum ) but I thought it was a military subject. 

Fritzel,

Just a bit of fun. I spent most of my life working with military radios and looking at the picture there are some interesting points.

Directly behind his head is some sort of horn affair, is that to receive sound or transmit?

The pack in front of him looks to have valves on it but back then you would need a pretty substansial battery to power any such device.

The 'antenna' array remands me of a directional/narrow field FM thing we had called the 'clothes line' in English, UK this is used to dry your washing on. It was called the GMM ground mounted Monopole.

There is obviously more of the device behind his back that we can't see.

Always love a mystery!

Good luck

Rich

Hello : They are Weimar era policemen , and the apparatus is a same kind of portable radio telegraph device . perhaps the inscription reads Funktelegraphie . the who carries the device had earphones and his right hand appears as on a manipulator . 

I've seen this photo before,somewhere, and I seem to recall that it was a radio receiver used to triangular transmissions.  That is to say locate suspicious communications. I hope I have remembered this correctly. 

Regards

brian

I was going to suggest what Brian has: a device for detecting transmissions, either of suspcious, perhaps espionage related radios or perhaps to detect unlicenced receivers?  Did germany at this period insist on receivers being licenced, as the UK did?  Another great wheeze by which gov'ts collected money!

Gentlemen,

A response to this picture from a friend.  "On the link below you will find this device described as a police receiver rdiotelephonic calls sent by a police station.  According to the web site this picture was published in 1924 in a magazine called Das neue Universum.  https://www.klaus-paffenholz.de/bos-funk/index.html?https://www.klaus-paffenholz.de/bos-funk/bos-funk.html Click on BOS-FUNK at the left of the page and scroll down.  You will find a front and back view of this device.

Regards,

Gordon

l the best,
    Kees

https://www.klaus-paffenholz.de/bos-.../bos-funk.html

• 2 years later...