News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kriegsmarine - U-boat divingsuit!

Hello together,

today I will show you a very rare U-boat divingsuit from my collection.

It was only used from U-boat crews. Every german U-boat had one divingsuit on board. Please note the marking "Kleintauchgerät" on the Tauchretter. This marking was the only different to the normal U-boat Tauchretter.

The Tauchretter was made for rescue from a sunken U-boat, the divingsuit was made for repair outside the U-boat.

Monsun,

Do you have any wartimne photos that show the word "Tauchretter" on the front? I have a nice tauchretter in my collection, but there seams to be a question if its post war due to the style of "a" in the letter writing. Here is a photo of mine:

Micheal, still waiting to hear from you.

Monsun,

Do you have any wartimne photos that show the word "Tauchretter" on the front? I have a nice tauchretter in my collection, but there seams to be a question if its post war due to the style of "a" in the letter writing. Here is a photo of mine:

Hi Hinrik,

I don't think you have to worry about your tauchretter, post war tauchretters looked very different.

Here's pictures of 2 tauchretters with the same letter "a" on it.

You should look on Joe's site ( http://joe-tauchretter.tripod.com) he has a very nice site about tauchretters! he is expert on the tauchretter, maybe you can ask him.

Also the post war tauchretters are on his site, have a look!

Edited by reinoudmilitary

Hello Hinrik,

sorry, but I didn?t have a wartime photo that shows the word "Tauchretter" on the front. I have a few that shows u-boatcrews with tauchretters, but without inscription.

But here are a photo from a original WW2 tauchretter from the collection of the u-boatarchive in cuxhaven.

The letters "bwz" are the german WW2 manufacturing code for "Auer-Gesellschaft A.G., Berlin-Werk Oranienburg". I hope it helps.

Hello to my fellow tauchretter collectors !

Wow is all I have to say , great pictures of tauchretters .

I would love it if everyone could please send me some more pictures of their tauchretters so I could put them on my website . I would like to devote a whole section of my website to all of the known tauchretters still around in the world . I own 9 pre 1945 tauchretters and 3 post war and I think more shown of other collections would help other fellow collectors .

<!--quoteo(post=74063:date=Apr 25 2006, 14:48 :name=Hinrik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hinrik @ Apr 25 2006, 14:48 ) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Monsun,

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The face of a tauchretter bag may say nothing or it could be stamped Tauchretter ot Tauch-Gerät or kleintauchgerät or sometimes just a numeral such as 5 . Below the name would be work order number .

I have never noticed a different " a " from war time to post war tauchretter's , but ! there is a difference in spelling on the Co2 scrubber can , war time can has the name DRAEGER and post war cans are spelled DRÄGER . I have never seen a real war time scrubber can spelled with an umlaut stamped on the top and bottom portion of the can . Also war time cans are stamped steel and every post war can I have seen and or in my collection are from brass .

Joe,

You can use photos of mine if you want. Can you please send me a pm with a working e-mail address? I tried to e-mail you on your sites listed address, but was having trouble.

I noticed on your site that you did not know what the little strap with clip on bottom was used for? I sent a photo to a surving U-boat crew member ask him.

Regards

Hinrik

Tauchretter fans,

Just got a reply from Mr. Paul Mengelberg (U-5 / U-26 / U-39) He says the following about the device:

"Hello Hinrik, a long time ago I used to wear one of those "Tauchretters" while in training at the U-Schule in Neustadt-Holstein. Ours was a bit different,?as I recall there was a flexible breathing tube on top with a special mouth peace and a nose clip to squeese the?nostrils while under water. On the bottom in front and inside of the Dreager Lung was a small oxigen bottle which was used? #1 to breath under?water and #2 to blow up the Dreager-Lung once one had breaken surface. A small shut-off valve was installed at the mouth peace. In this manner the person would floate more or less on his back reather floating in a standi upright?position. The Dreager-Lung had in addition a Potash-Cartridge for breathing, to conserve air within the Sub while pinned down for up to 72 hours or perhaps more. However the little spring you point out is a mistery to me. I used the Dreager-Lung at U-School and when we sunk our Boat,?it prooved to be an excellent floating divise. Sorry Hinrik, but some items are hard to remember after how much about?

65?years or more I am sorry that I can help more, but you are always welcome to ask"

Sorry Joe...little clip still a mystery. Anyone else know what its for?

Regards

Hinrik

Joe,

You can use photos of mine if you want. Can you please send me a pm with a working e-mail address? I tried to e-mail you on your sites listed address, but was having trouble.

I noticed on your site that you did not know what the little strap with clip on bottom was used for? I sent a photo to a surving U-boat crew member ask him.

Regards

Hinrik

Hello !

You may e-mail me at jbrandt1@optonline.net

Thank you for asking about that small black web strap with a metal snap clip on it . The only thing I could think it is used for is a safety clip for the U shaped spring clip that closes the bottom of the bag . I doubt this as you could still slide the clip nearly half way over to the other side and allowing water to fill the bag . Once any water reaches the the Co2 scrubber material it would be ruined . The clip is too small to attach to anything , it is only big enough to clip around the wire loops at the bottom of the bag . It does not seem practical to clip the goggles to it .

Joe,

What do you think about these "Auer" Tauchretter goggles? Do they look original and correct to you?

If not correct, then I need a pair, and I also need the oxy bottle and Co2 scrubber, if you can help me find it.

Regards

Hinrik

Joe,

What do you think about these "Auer" Tauchretter goggles? Do they look original and correct to you?

If not correct, then I need a pair, and I also need the oxy bottle and Co2 scrubber, if you can help me find it.

Regards

Hinrik

Hi Hinrik,

These are not the goggles that where used with a tauchretter. These goggles where used as "sunglasses" , by Flakgunners, also you see them a lot on ebay as "Uboat goggles".

Regards,

Floris

Hi Hinrik,

These are not the goggles that where used with a tauchretter. These goggles where used as "sunglasses" , by Flakgunners, also you see them a lot on ebay as "Uboat goggles".

Regards,

Floris

Hello ,

Floris is correct that these goggles are not used with the tauchretter . I call these goggles general purpose dust and sun goggles and I have pictures of them being used by Flak gunner crews and regular army troops hanging around their necks or strapped around their helmets . The goggles you show here look very nice and look like an original war time Auer item . These goggles are not water or pressure proof ! Original tauchretter goggles are very low volumn meaning that they rest very , very close to the wearer's eyes and there is little air space between them and the glass lens. You find these on ebay all of the listed as u-boat and or tauchretter goggles . I do not know how to post a picture of an original pair of tauchretter goggles for you to compair with your goggles so if you would please visit my website you will see both original and so-called " original tauchretter goggles " sold on ebay http://joe-tauchretter.tripod.com/