News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all:

Since it's been a little slow around here, I thought I would liven this up a little by showing some ribbon bars. This weekend, I met with a good friend from Albania who picked up a few goodies (as well as showing me some fantastic photos), among which were two ribbon bars, one pre-1965 the other after 1965. I have three ribbon bars in my collection, but do not know of any others.

First up is the pre-1965 one. It consists of painted plastic mounted on a heavy metal frame. The medals are:

Top row: Order of Skanderbeg 3rd class, Medal of Remembrance, Order of Bravery

Second row: Order "Red Star" (when it was in one class only), Medal of Bravery, Medal of Liberation

Bottom row: Medal "10th Anniversary of the Peoples Army"

Next is an interesting one from the post-1965 era. Note that the Medal of Remembrance is now the premier decoration and how the stripes on the Skanderbeg ribbons are somewhat thinner than the previous ribbon bar.

Top row: Medal of Remembrance, Order of Skanderbeg 2nd class, Order of Skanderbeg 3rd class

Middle row: Order of Military Service 2nd class, Order "Red Star" 2nd class, Medal of Bravery

Bottom row: Medal of Liberation, Medal "10th Anniversary of the Peoples Army"

Last is one you have seen before, but I'll throw it in here since there are so few of these around. This one is special because I know who the wearer is and some of his history. The recipient was an officer in the 3rd Batallion 8th Shock Brigade who spent most of their time during WW II in pursuit of the Germans through Yugoslavia in 1945.

Top row: Order of Skanderbeg 3rd class, Medal of Remembrance, Order "Red Star" (when it was in one class only)

Bottom Row: Medal of Bravery, Medal of Liberation, Medal "10th Anniversary of the Peoples Army"

I also know that he also won the Yugoslav Medal of Bravery around 1946, but after the split with Tito's government, that was quickly swept away.

...and how do I know he won the Yugoslav Medal of Bravery? I was given a photograph of the recipient that was taken while he was training in Odessa in 1947 wearing that medal, as well as an as-yet unidentified Albanian medal and the Medal of Liberation. This is an extraordinary photograph and rare survival, as most folks went to great pains to wipe out any association with Yugoslavia when Hoxha began his deadly purge of "Titoists" in 1948.

As for the unidentified medal, I have seen a complete medal and document group of another member of the 8th Shock Brigade who was also a recipient of this medal and believe it was later replaced by some other decoration, however, I have not seen any other evidence for it besides this and some other very rare photos from this same group.

Edited by Eric Schena

I should add that the photograph above, along with his medals, ribbon bar, and a few other photos taken in the 1940s are quite possibly the most precious items in my collection. They are a remarkable record of a brief period in time that Hoxha eventually spent 35 years trying to erase from history.

Guest Rick Research

Given how fragile the Soviet "nail polish" painted plastic sheet ribbon bars are, not many may survive if that was the ONLY type in use. :beer:

• 2 months later...

Hi all:

Thought I would offer an update on an earlier post in this thread about that unknown Albanian medal. Well, I know what it is now. It is the original pattern of the Medal "Remembrance 1942-1943". That medal was established not in 1945, but in 1943 for service between July 1942 and July 1943. After the war (around 1947 from what I can tell based on photographic evidence), the decoration was re-established as the Medal of Remembrance and the period of service was changed from July 1943 until the liberation of Tiran? on 29 November 1944. I have seen a set of award documents in a complete award group, one for the Medal "Remembrance 1942-1943" and he Medal of Remembrance to the same officer, so it appears the older decoration was replaced with the newer more familiar one (the decoration that appears as my avatar). The first pattern medal appears to have been almost if not completely replaced and so far as I can tell, none are known (I hope that is not the case).

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Schena

Oh...I almost forgot: about Bob's earlier question about ribbon bars made with actual ribbon. They do exist, but only in the earliest period. There are photos of Hoxha from the late 1940's wearing sewn on ribbons on his Colonel-General's uniform, but after that, it looks like the plastic/metal ribbon bars replaced that type.

Cheers,

Eric

Interesting order....

Top to bottom, left to right:

1) Order of Skanderbeg 3rd class

2) Medal of Remembrance

3) Order of Bravery

4) Order of Labour 3rd class

5) Order of Freedom 1st class OR Medal for Distinguished Defense Service?

6) Medal of Bravery

7) Medal of Liberation?

8) Order Red Banner of Labour 1st class OR Medal for 10th Anniversary of the Army

Above appears to indicate that 1-3rd class are awarded not as subsequent awards but on the degree of "merit" for lack of a better word of the act for which the award was issued... assuming I didn't mix up nr 5 / 8 of course

Edited by Bob

Actually, ribbon 5 is the Order "Red Star" when it was in one class only and ribbon 8 is the 10th Anniversary of the Army medal. This is a pre-1965 ribbon bar: you can tell because the Medal of Remembrance ribbon is after the Skanderbeg 3rd class. After 1965, the Medal of Remembrance moved to the 5th most important decoration and would show up before most other decorations.

I love seeing these ribbon bars :cheers:

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Schena

• 1 month later...

Here's 2 that I recently acquired.

Hard to determine sometimes with fading colors but let's give it a try (left to right):

1)

Top row: Order Red Star, Medal of Bravery, Medal of Liberation

Bottom row: Medal for 10th Anniversary of Army

2)

Top row: Order Red Star, Medal of Bravery, Medal of Liberation

Bottom row: ????, Medal for 10th Anniversary of Army

Edited by Bob

• 4 years later...

And here's quite a big one

Top row: Order of Skanderbeg 2nd class, Order of Skanderbeg 3rd class, Medal of Remembrance

Second row: Order of Bravery, ??? need to look this one up ???, Order of Red Star

Bottom row: Medal of Bravery, Medal of Liberation, Medal "10th Anniversary of the Peoples Army"

Edited by Bob

hello!

nice bar

The second row in the middle is the first version of Military Service Order, that later was removed and replaced with Order of Military service 1,2,3

The one I have posted on my website today is displayed on the ribbon and you can see the order itself

• 7 months later...
    • 7 months later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-679-0-98353600-1365855544.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-679-0-68617300-1365855611.jpg

Finally: some cloth ribbons!

• 2 years later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 3 years later...