News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Defense, Capture and Liberation medals

Hi all,

Okay, be gentle... as I "think" at least a few of these may be copies. Not to worry though as I got them for less than dirt so other than putting me back a bit time wise in order to get originals I won't be crushed or anything.

And of course if you need to see anything specific I've not shown you have but to ask and I'll try my best to get a scan of whatever you need to see.

Well, with no further ado... on with the show.

The Defense Of Campaign Medals

The Defense Of Leningrad:

[attachmentid=51767]

[attachmentid=51768]

[attachmentid=51769]

The Defense of Odessa:

[attachmentid=51770]

[attachmentid=51771]

[attachmentid=51772]

This is one of three that I have with a thick gold wash and I'm wondering if these "might" be the Variation 2 medals mentioned in the red bible for later issue to those who should have received them earlier but didn't.

I figure it's either that or they're copies. Anyhow that's the first of that type.

The Defense of Sevastopol:

[attachmentid=51797]

[attachmentid=51798]

[attachmentid=51799]

This is the second of the ones I have with the thick gold wash.

Edited by Hauptman

The Defense of Stalingrad:

[attachmentid=51776]

[attachmentid=51777]

[attachmentid=51778]

This one I have absolutely no doubts about as I got it from Dave who was selling it for a friend. So it's got the seal of approval on it already. :P:beer:

The Liberation Of Campaign Medals

I still need The Liberation of Belgrade.

The Liberation of Warsaw:

[attachmentid=51821]

[attachmentid=51822]

[attachmentid=51823]

I need the Liberation of Prague.

Well, that's it until I can add those I still need to the collection.

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

Guest Darrell

Dan,

Afraid there are a few "bad" ones as you say:

a. Odessa + Sebastopol --> recent copies or repros

b. Caucasus, Polar Regions --> recent copies or repros

c. Budapest and Vienna --> recent copies or repros

Dan,

Afraid there are a few "bad" ones as you say:

a. Odessa + Sebastopol --> recent copies or repros

b. Caucasus, Polar Regions --> recent copies or repros

c. Budapest and Vienna --> recent copies or repros

Hi Darrell,

Well, that's a trick... I don't even have a Budapest! :rolleyes::cheeky::lol: ROFL

Here you've got me with copies I don't even own yet! And now for your next trick! :lol::lol:

You've no idea how badly I needed to laugh... it's been one of those days. Well worth posting and even confirming I have some copies.

So you're positive the ones with the heavy gold wash or plate are not the last types as described in the red bible? Had kind of hoped but again not a biggie either way. To be honest I think several in this series are ugly ducklings and I'd almost hate to pay the prices some of them run. Although I deeply appreciate the sacrifice that went into each and every one of them. Just not the most attractive medals they put out.

But part of the series and part of history. These will do for display until I can manage to get real ones.

Thanks again for helping to cheer up my day. Work was an absolute bear and haven't been feeling all that great since last night. But as they say... laughter is the best medicine.

Guest Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Well, that's a trick... I don't even have a Budapest! :rolleyes::cheeky::lol: ROFL

ahhh .. got me ... I meant the Konigsberg .. (saw the Budapest just above it) :P

Guest Darrell

Hi Darrell,

So you're positive the ones with the heavy gold wash or plate are not the last types as described in the red bible? Had kind of hoped but again not a biggie either way.

Well, in a way I guess that's what I meant. They could be modern (ie. not original issue), and worth a fraction of the value of originals ... especially the Odessa and Sebastopol which are worth a fair penny now days.

ahhh .. got me ... I meant the Konigsberg .. (saw the Budapest just above it) :P

Hi Darrell,

Yeah, I kinda figured. But it struck me as so funny and I just had to have a bit of fun with it myself before all was said and done. :P:beer:

Well, looks like I've got quite a few originals to get yet... but am sure they'll turn up over time. I'm not in any rush.

Many thanks for the confirmation on them my friend. :beer:

Well, in a way I guess that's what I meant. They could be modern (ie. not original issue), and worth a fraction of the value of originals ... especially the Odessa and Sebastopol which are worth a fair penny now days.

Hi Darrell,

Well, if post war strikes/issues as opposed to out and out copies (read fakes) that's a bit better in my book. Granted... still not nearly as good as original wartime issues... but I'd certainly feel a bit better about them. But again I'm not gonna jump off the water tower on any of them. Have had them forever and a day and have very little in the whole lot so not catastrophic. And as they were so early on in my collecting I figure I'm lucky to have done as well as I have over time... especially not having the red bible until so late in the game. :P

Mucho thanks! :beer:

The Kiev medal is also a fake. The only variation of the Kiev medal is with a ring part of the medal.

Yours is seperatly soldered.

regards Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Sorry, actually I knew on that one... meant to state it in the post. Just trying to do too many things at one time.

Many thanks! :beer:

Dan, great examples of repro soviet medals :beer:

Iam acctuly scared to post some of mine, most of mine I bought from Nota Bene so they must fine, but the rest scared to think :unsure:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Hey, as George Carlin said (wise man that one!) "Don't be scared... it's just a beard!" :P Seriously, I was a bit apprehensive on these as I was fair sure and knew on the Kiev... but I figure it this way. If something turns out to be a copy, as long as I have dirt in it I'm not worried. And, most importantly... it's something others can then learn from. And that... is very important. If everyone runs around and sees nothing but originals then where are we when a copy pops up. Whenever I had an original... and could pick up a copy or copies of the same item for next to nothing I would. Then I'd use that to educate others in the differences, etc. so next time they'd be better equipped to handle themselves out in the jungle.

So go ahead... post away! Unless of course it's something you think is a copy and you have a small fortune in it and by confirming it's a copy it will cause you to go jump off the local water tower. Then perhaps it's best to just live the fantasy. :rolleyes::P:cheeky::lol: