News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Defense, Capture and Liberation medals

Some more............ :jumping:

The Odessa medal is damn expensive for a single medal. I don't have it, becauser I always prefered to put a huge amount of money in one order rather than in a single medal. I don't know what to do. They sell for around $320, I think. :(

The Odessa medal is damn expensive for a single medal. I don't have it, becauser I always prefered to put a huge amount of money in one order rather than in a single medal. I don't know what to do. They sell for around $320, I think. :(

I know that Odessa medals are expensive... but not that high... unless I have missed something.

I do know that Belgrade is being offered at very high prices... 300 plus.

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I am confident on the Sevastapol because I got it from Nota Bene, Im not confident on the Belgrade though :o

Do you want better pics of that :unsure:

Orde of Victory

I would not be sure of either of them. :rolleyes: Sevastopol, albeit small pic lacking details does not look completely right. Closer pics would help. Belrade is one of those medals its tricky to make a call on.... :banger:

Hauptmann

As I see it - I do not like Leningrad as it is very worn out but I'd probably say its genuine (though i would not buy it). Sevastopol and Odessa - Fakes/Repros. Polar regions, Keningsberg and Vienna - Fakes/repros. I do not like your Kiev or Caucuses either. I'd say Fakes/Repros if I had to make a call.

:violent: FAKERS!!!! - Although I must say, they do make the hobby so much more challenging! :(

Jim

Hauptmann

As I see it - I do not like Leningrad as it is very worn out but I'd probably say its genuine (though i would not buy it). Sevastopol and Odessa - Fakes/Repros. Polar regions, Keningsberg and Vienna - Fakes/repros. I do not like your Kiev or Caucuses either. I'd say Fakes/Repros if I had to make a call.

:violent: FAKERS!!!! - Although I must say, they do make the hobby so much more challenging! :(

Jim

Hi Jim,

Appreciate the heads up. Part of this is these were all gotten at once in a large group (with the exception of the Stalingrad which as I say there's absolutely no doubt on, and the Kiev which I knew about but got cheap as a stop gap until I can afford more originals as some of these get a bit pricey. When I got them I had "no" guides whatsoever, and once I did they were the most basic available... and there were few of those. Wasn't until the red bible came out that there was better available and I was only able to get my copy a short time ago.

Also I got these for less than dirt basically as I got all these in trade in the big group and the items I traded I had next to nothing in, they were extras and such so I figure it's no great loss. They'll serve as examples till I can replace them with good ones.

To be totally honest, there are quite a number of these, the ones with only the inscriptions, etc. on them that are not... shall we say, things of beauty. No enamel, no pictures... just words. Not the greatest of designs. But the history and sacrifice they represent is of course what is important. It just goes against the grain in my eyes to have to pay the prices some of them bring when for that or a bit less you can get a nice enamel order that really stands out. Sigh. :( I'll eventually want all originals but not until my budget permits laying out what I'll need to get them, and then only from trusted sources.

Dan :cheers:

I would not be sure of either of them. :rolleyes: Sevastopol, albeit small pic lacking details does not look completely right. Closer pics would help. Belrade is one of those medals its tricky to make a call on.... :banger:

Hi Jim,

I have to chime in here real quick. Not that anyone is totally infallible, but... if it comes from Alexei it's good. No doubt or question in my mind on that and I'm sure most if not all of the membership would agree.

I am confident on the Sevastapol because I got it from Nota Bene, Im not confident on the Belgrade though :o

Do you want better pics of that :unsure:

Orde of Victory

If it came for Alexei it is genuine, your belgrade looks good to me from what I can see.

Well each to his own and of course no disrespects intended to anyone. Some medals are just tough to make a call on and pictures as you know do not always do justice. Nothing will ever beat holding and studying the medal.

And with all due respect, nobody is infallible especially when the value of medals is now rocketing up giving fakers more incentive to perfect their work. If its 'easy' to tell a fake now it will only get harder. mark my words! :(

Jim

Well each to his own and of course no disrespects intended to anyone. Some medals are just tough to make a call on and pictures as you know do not always do justice. Nothing will ever beat holding and studying the medal.

And with all due respect, nobody is infallible especially when the value of medals is now rocketing up giving fakers more incentive to perfect their work. If its 'easy' to tell a fake now it will only get harder. mark my words! :(

Jim

Hi Jim,

What you say has much merit. I too see a day coming when Soviet gets as bad as TR got years ago. And it's a great shame. Each and every time we move into a new area and start to really enjoy it the fakers and crooks have to move in and spoil it all. And not sure I have it in me to move on to greener pastures yet again. We invest so much time, money and effort into learning all we can about such things, building up a decent collection and then find it's hard to go any further because everyone becomes scared to death that there are fakes hiding under every bed, to coin a phrase from Battle of the Bulge.

It's gotten to the point long ago with TR that alot of folks are simply scared to death to buy anything because no one seems to agree anymore what is fake and what is real. You can have the best, most legitimate original pieces and you have problems selling it. This is one major reason I got out of TR... it just was not that much fun anymore.

I pray this doesn't happen with Soviet but sadly I see the day looming on the horizon. I guess it's just part of the circle of life or something.