News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do I get free with my Big Mac?

100 year from now???? I bet that it is collectable now! I would love to get one. What are they going for? Any clue as to the number made? Who received these(Employees or where they given to everyone who stopped by)?

It is a really cool piece. I remember when this was covered on the news(in 1980-1).

Actually, the medal is a bit later. The first McDonalds in the USSR opened in Moscow on 31 January 1990. I have seen quite a few medals and pins from the opening and one similar to this, but never this one. I find it rather odd (almost "fantasy-ish") with the medal hanger - the ones I've seen all had small rectangular hangers, or were pinback.

I first visited this McDonalds in April 1992. I ended up getting what would be my "normal" meal for the rest of the time I was there - until prices increased! It was my "twofor"... Two Big Macs, two fries and two Cokes for US $2 (ruble equivelant, of course). Now I look back at that and wonder how my arteries ever handled all that! :cheeky:

Dave

Actually, the medal is a bit later. The first McDonalds in the USSR opened in Moscow on 31 January 1990. I have seen quite a few medals and pins from the opening and one similar to this, but never this one. I find it rather odd (almost "fantasy-ish") with the medal hanger - the ones I've seen all had small rectangular hangers, or were pinback.

Dave

Naaaa, :P the fantasy one will have gold and silver chips / fries insignia on the ribbon :beer:

Kevin in Deva :D

Which restaurant was the first McDonald?s in Moscow? Street?

It was the one at Pushkinskaya. I don't know the exact street though. The one across from Central Telegraph was next, followed by the one on Arbat Street (or I might have these two backwards) and as I was leaving, they were opening up the "drive through" out in the north west part of the city.

Dave

I ate at the McDonald's on Pushkinskaya Square in January 1992 - - ironically after going to Mavsolei Lenina - and it was quite an experience. Yeltsin had just freed up the price controls a week earlier after the formal dissolution of the USSR but the prices of things vs. salaries hadn't adjusted yet so the Russians were not exactly in the best of shapes economically, which made it easier on folks with dollars. When I got there, the exchange rate was 100 rubles to the dollar, but many of the prices were still at their artificial levels (a trip on the Metro was 15 kopecks - yep, an eighth of a cent). At the McD's - which was almost completely empty because no one could afford it at the time and if you've ever been to that one, you know how large it is - I got a "Kompleksniy obed c Big Makom" (Big Mac Extra Value Meal) for all of 50 rubles. I even snagged a couple of the placemats that had the menu plus a bold "Priyatnogo Appetita!" (bon appetit) up at the top - I still have a couple of those. As much as I wanted to "go native", when I was there, it was not exactly a great time to sample the local cuisine, so the one trip to that McD's was a welcome respite from the gristle soup masquerading as borshcht, some blini, kvass (after the one time drinking it, I studiously avoided for the rest of the trip), and LOTS of Sovyetskoye Shampanskoe. I have a bottle of that, too :cool:

• 1 month later...

(...) I find it rather odd (almost "fantasy-ish") with the medal hanger - the ones I've seen all had small rectangular hangers, or were pinback. (...)Dave

Has someone any idea of what is this ribbon ? It looks very similar to the one of the Medal for Victory over Japan , but it is not this one...

Ch.

Hey Chris,

Its the medal of victory over "Borsh" and "Shee" ... happenned in the 1990s when good old wholesome russian food met its match!

I'd half suggest that the ribbon colours are the Ronald McD colours. Yikes....even thinking of the name alone gives me the runs.....

Gotta go quick.......! :cheeky: