News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

!870 EKII Doc

Tom Y

This arrived in the mail the other day.[attachmentid=53859]

An EKII doc to Koeniglich _____ Hauptmann Moritz Wibel, 3te Infantrie Regiment "Prinz Carl von _______.

It bears the same date, 19 Januar 1873, as my other doc to _____ Leutnant Oscar Haunit, __ __ preussisches Infantrie Regiment Nr. 44.[attachmentid=53862]

First, could someone with a better eye for S?tterlin fill in the blanks?

Second, it would save me hours of eyestrain poring over my meager histories if someone could tell me where their units might have been. (I don't read the old text that well, either)

Third, apparently there was a mass awarding in '73 and the preliminary docs, if they ever existed, have long returned to Mother Earth. Does anyone have an earlier doc, one actually issued during the war?

Thanks

Hi Tom,

your first document is an award to a Bavarian officer - Hauptmann Moriz Wibel of 3. Infanterie-Regiment "Prinz Carl von Bayern".

The second to Sekonde-Lieutenant Oscar Haunit, the adjutant of the F?silier-Bataillon of 7. Ostpreu?isches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 44.

Regards

Glenn

This arrived in the mail the other day.[attachmentid=53859]

An EKII doc to Koeniglich _____ Hauptmann Moritz Wibel, 3te Infantrie Regiment "Prinz Carl von _______.

It bears the same date, 19 Januar 1873, as my other doc to _____ Leutnant Oscar Haunit, __ __ preussisches Infantrie Regiment Nr. 44.[attachmentid=53862]

First, could someone with a better eye for S?tterlin fill in the blanks?

Second, it would save me hours of eyestrain poring over my meager histories if someone could tell me where their units might have been. (I don't read the old text that well, either)

Third, apparently there was a mass awarding in '73 and the preliminary docs, if they ever existed, have long returned to Mother Earth. Does anyone have an earlier doc, one actually issued during the war?

Thanks

Hello Tom:

A great pair of documents that you have here!

The best that I can make out is the following (a real challenge to my eyes too!).

Your first document is to K?niglich Bayerische Hauptmann Moritz Wibel, 3te Infanterie=Regiment "Prinz Carl von Bayern"

The second document is to Seconde=Leutnant Oscar Haunit, 7te. Ostpreu?isches Infanterie=Regiment

No. 44.

It looks like Wibel is listed in the 1914 Milit?r-Handbuch (more on this later).

Although I have complete histories of the war, it would take several hours to give you a breakdown of the campaign activities for each regiment and unfortunately, I do not have time at this moment to do so. Perhaps I can post more information later.

I have never seen preliminary documents issued during the time of the actual war akin to those that are seen for Weltkrieg (WWI). It seems that ALL of the EK documents were dated the same (19. Januar 1873), with Officers getting the type that you show and with enlisted troops getting a smaller Besitz-Zeugni? without the Royal/Imperial signature of Wilhelm I. The only exceptions that I have seen are a letter from Wilhelm I to General of Infantry v. Goeben awarding an EKI dated 18. October 1870 and a Cabinet-Order dated 9. M?rz 1871 awarding an EKII to Major General Krug v. Nidda upon his retirement (both shown in Raksch).

Congratulations regarding your great acquistions!

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hello again:

According to the 1914 Bavarian Military Handbook, Moritz Wibel was a Major (promoted March 3. 1911) with the following awards:

EKII (1870)

Jubil?ums=Medaille

Kriegsdendm?nze f?r 1870-71 aus Bronze

Armee=Denkzeichen 1866

Dienstauszeichnungs=Kreuz 2. Klasse (24 year service cross)

Preu?ische Erinnerungs=Medaille (Centennial Medal)

There was also a Captain Moritz Wibel listed who was born in 1875 (perhaps the son of our 1870-71 veteran).

Best regards,

"SPM"

Tom,

That 's a great pair of documents you have there. They are hard to find, but I would say the Bavarian one being particularly scarce. The officers documents are much nicer than what the average soldier was given. Here is a well worn one to a Baden artillery private. I also have his medal bar, soldbuch and reisepass.

Dan

IPB Image

Thanks all. Being a bit of a Bolshie :cheeky: at heart, was nice to see the EM docs. I'm sure they rate somewhere up there with hens' teeth. I know the actual Crosses were awarded in '70, as I have a print from Harper's Weekly, Dec.1870 showing KP Fritz handing the out at Versailles.

It seems to me the (not so)evil twin posted a list of battle clasps by unit which would help me immensely, so I'm off to track it down. Ta

Tom,

Herr Haunit rose to become a char. Major and Bezirks-Offizier in Landwehr-Bezirk Saargem?nd. He was still alive in 1905 as shown by his listing in the Ordens-Almanach of that year. He spent his entire active career in Infanterie-regiment Nr. 44. He retired from his Bezirks-Offizier position in 1896/97.

Sekonde-Lieutenant: 9.3.69

Premier-Lieutenant: 13.6.76

Hauptmann: 21.2.85

char. Major: 17.10. 93

Regards

Glenn

Tom,

Herr Haunit rose to become a char. Major and Bezirks-Offizier in Landwehr-Bezirk Saargem?nd. He was still alive in 1905 as shown by his listing in the Ordens-Almanach of that year. He spent his entire active career in Infanterie-regiment Nr. 44. He retired from his Bezirks-Offizier position in 1896/97.

Sekonde-Lieutenant: 9.3.69

Premier-Lieutenant: 13.6.76

Hauptmann: 21.2.85

char. Major: 17.10. 93

Regards

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn. Every new detail is muchly appreciated.

Guest Rick Research

Tom... I thought we DID Haunit before? 1908/09 Orders Almanac he was living in Berlin-Gr?newald at Douglasstrasse 20. Born Thorn 14 September 1848.

The 1870 Battles Bars thread is pinned at the top of the first page here.

Moritz Wibel was born 29 May 1832 in L?utershausen. Date of rank as Hauptmann 1 August 1866, so he waited 45 years for that charakterisiert bump up to Major aD on 3 march 1911.

1908/09 address Wilhelmstrasse 12, M?nchen.

Tom... I thought we DID Haunit before? 1908/09 Orders Almanac he was living in Berlin-Gr?newald at Douglasstrasse 20. Born Thorn 14 September 1848.

The 1870 Battles Bars thread is pinned at the top of the first page here.

Moritz Wibel was born 29 May 1832 in L?utershausen. Date of rank as Hauptmann 1 August 1866, so he waited 45 years for that charakterisiert bump up to Major aD on 3 march 1911.

1908/09 address Wilhelmstrasse 12, M?nchen.

Yup, I remebered right after my last post. We did Haunit but I don't think that thoroughly and all the info's in a place I'd rather not go. Never did copy it to my HD :rolleyes: