News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I hope this is the right section for this one. It's a photo (one of several I'm posting) given to me by an old friend many years back. His name was "Sarge" Gallipau. Can't remember his first name off hand but know I have it here somewhere. As a kid I just always knew him as "Sarge". He was in the African campaign and then moved up with the rest of the armies. After the war he stayed in the Air Force and retired as a top Sergeant and just always went by the name Sarge.

He wrote on the back of this one "One of the Supermen".

I'll show the full photo and then more details I felt would be of interest.

[attachmentid=55591]

It appears they're standing by some type of gun and one man is looking through an optical scope of some sort.

Awards:

[attachmentid=55592]

The SA Sports Badge is an easy one. On the ribbon bar I'm guessing IC 2nd WWI... any ideas on the other? And on the button hole I'd originally thought it was a Spange but looks to me to be a newly awarded IC 2nd. :jumping:

Shoulder board:

[attachmentid=55593]

Lieutnant?

Head with Hermann Meyer cap:

[attachmentid=55594]

Assuming this can help date this depending on when those caps came into use.

Edited by J Temple-West

Here's the man standing a bit further in the background:

[attachmentid=55398]

And part of what I think is the gun they're standing around:

[attachmentid=55399]

This photo, along with others in this set I'm posting have never been published or shown before.

Dan :cheers:

I think that the ribbons are:

War Merit Cross without swords, 2nd class(because of the newly presented EK2).

Austrian Annexation Medal

V/r

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sounds about what I was thinking... but I didn't say as I didn't want to influence what anyone else might say.

Hey, did you manage to get those Luftwaffe videos working? They're really great and I think you'll enjoy them immensely so really hoping you got them working okay.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Its a large rangefinder, probably used for heavy-calibre Flak.

David

Hi David,

Wow, really? That things got to be huge! Would certainly take up a ton of room in a collection, that's for sure. I'll have to check my U.S. Army reference on German forces and see if I can find it as they have a ton of that kind of stuff in there.

If I find it I'll post a pic.

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers: