News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1956 Hungarian Revolution Police Tunic

Here is one of my only 1956 era Hungarian uniforms from the late 1950's. Its a police uniform that follows the old AirForce style - only a gray instead of the kahaki brown. What made it worht buying is the 1956 Revolution history behind it. Below is the Majors uniform, but with a little twist - the buttons on the jacket and the cuffs are all Rakosi era Coat of Arms (1949-56). Its a simple class A uniform - not a parade so it was worn more often, however before Ocotber 23rd 1956 I would venture to say the chap was a Capt. As the twist is in the shoulder boards. They are sew in type and the button on the shoulder board is not sewn to the tunic. The button on the shoulder board is a Kadar era (1957-77) Coat of Arms. He got promoted (!) and didnt bother to vhange the buttons on his jacket with the new design for the national identity. Also it came with the ribbon bar - the Restoration of Power to the Workers and Peasants medal for individuals that participated in bringing down the revolution. If this thing could talk - as I wonder how he got a pormotion so quickly. Tunic is completer with the cap (dated 1957) and the breeches.

The nice part of the deal was also his promotion later on to Lt. Col of the police....

the sadest part - the guy I got this lot from didnt bother to get a name from the old lady who brought it to him...grrrrrrrrr....

Edited by hunyadi

Hi Charles,

Sharp looking uniform and looks to be in great shape. :beer: Love those boards... never seen any quite like those.

And guess we could say the same about any of the stuff we collect... if only they could talk the history they would pass on. :jumping::jumping:

Thanks so much for sharing this one. Great piece and not something we see that often. :cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

And here we are at the 50th anniversary month (just a LITTLE before "my time")--

any commemorations going on in Hungary?

Yes - we are having another revolution... today was the celebration / and demand by the opposition for the soicalist government to resign also it was the 16th annaversary of the last Soviet Soldier to leave Hungarian soil.

When it was released about three weeks agon now that the Hungarian PM has said in a closed door meeting to his cabinet "we have lied to the Hungarian people morning, noon and night." "we have done nothing for Hungary" this sparked protests and riots.

During the first night of rioting the M1 television station was raided. The protestors demanded to the TV director for a change of government, he simply told them that he coudl not give them that. He then asked again what they wanted. They could not find a concencious so they looted the snack bar....revolition....

Hunyadi,

Nice tunic and hat. Extra nice to get it with the ribbon bar. I have a question. Do you have any mid 1970 era Border Guard uniforms? If so, can you post a picture of one for me. I bought a Border Guard tunic at the October Militaria show here in Budapest and I want to replace the collar devices and a ribbon bar but I can not find a picture to guide me in the correct direction. Ant help you can provide would be appreciated. Here are the only two pictures of this tunic that I have in my archives.

Regards,

Gordon

Yes - we are having another revolution... today was the celebration / and demand by the opposition for the soicalist government to resign also it was the 16th annaversary of the last Soviet Soldier to leave Hungarian soil.

When it was released about three weeks agon now that the Hungarian PM has said in a closed door meeting to his cabinet "we have lied to the Hungarian people morning, noon and night." "we have done nothing for Hungary" this sparked protests and riots.

During the first night of rioting the M1 television station was raided. The protestors demanded to the TV director for a change of government, he simply told them that he coudl not give them that. He then asked again what they wanted. They could not find a concencious so they looted the snack bar....revolition....

• 8 months later...
    • 4 months later...

Hunyadi,

Nice tunic and hat. Extra nice to get it with the ribbon bar. I have a question. Do you have any mid 1970 era Border Guard uniforms? If so, can you post a picture of one for me. I bought a Border Guard tunic at the October Militaria show here in Budapest and I want to replace the collar devices and a ribbon bar but I can not find a picture to guide me in the correct direction. Ant help you can provide would be appreciated. Here are the only two pictures of this tunic that I have in my archives.

Regards,

Gordon

I have to make a correction here. Sceond one today!!!! When I bought this uniform, I thought because of the green stripe on the shoulderboards that it was a Border Guard tunic. I discovered a while back that it isn't. It is actually a Finance and Customs Guard uniform. The Border Guard shoulderboard would have be all green on the top as shown here.

Regards,

Gordon