News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Captain 1st rank Ivan Nikolaievich Kandybin

Gentlemen,

many thanks for your commentaries :cheers: .

I think, that I had just good luck with the research, because Kandybin's small flotillia hasen't been too secret ;) .

I also found some relatives of Commodore Kandybin in the USA, but they hardly knew anything about their grand-grand uncle.

Kandybin's son moved back to the region of Kursk, where his father was borne, I got his e-mail-adress, but he never answered my mail :( .

Does anyone know something about the composition of a coastal guard flotillia in the Baltic Sea in the late 1950s :unsure: ?

What I found out, that Kandybin's flotillia had no submarines (the subs had been a unit of their own in the same harbour), but a wide range of boats, vessels and ships - up to corvettes (maybe frigates).

And the KGB-Naval-Frontier-Guard had their own boats at the same harbour.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 4 months later...

Brigade Commander & Rear Admiral

Gentlemen,

in the citations of a Soviet Navy group Igor offers now at his website for mere USD 78.000,- http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=211553 , it is noted twice, that Brigade Commanders had the rank of a Rear Admiral. Also Vice Admiral Georgiy Stepanov, whose group is it, got his command over a naval brigade as a Captain 1st rank and promoted after some years to the rank of a Rear Admiral.

So, what had been the reason, that Ivan Kandybin didn't promote to an Admiral's rank :unsure: ?

- Did he retire too soon :unsure: ?

- Had been the command of a coastal defense brigade, despite the large number of boats and the strategic importance of just that harbour in Latvia, too less important :unsure: ?

Christian

• 1 year later...

That is one outstanding grouping, Christian!! For me, the highlight is the Korean Medal!

Dear Paul,

many thanks :cheers: .

You are right, the Korean Medal is something special in this group of that brilliant naval officer, who made a "classic" career, but got as a rather young officer his command over a (rather hughe) naval brigade at the Baltic Sea.

Christian