News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researching Soviet Medals

Intrigued to read that numbered/documented Soviet-era groups are researchable. Is this just true of citations for numbered awards, or is it also possible to research someone using the medal document for a prosaic campaign/service medal?

I've looked on many threads, but cannot see details as to what is and what is not researchable, nor any information on Russian researchers who could undertake this task.

I'd be most grateful if someone could clarify this and/or provide link to relevant information.

Rich

Once again, thanks for the information, Ed, and to Dave for the excellent article. This is all new stuff to me, being more familiar with British/Commonwealth research.

I am tempted to dip my feet into the world of Soviet awards...

Edited by Rich

Rich,

welcome. :beer:

Soviet awards are either researchable over the serialnumber or over the name of the awardee, so it should theoretically be possible to research a documented campaign Medal. I am not sure, if a sole Medal required an award card, but the VoG-Medal and Campaign Medals are mostly noted on it. So, if you have a name, then try it.

You probably got a pm from someone already, but if you still need a contact, send me a pm.

The costs are 40 Dollar for the award card, 15 dollar per citation and 20 Dollar for the personal record, if its available. Not exactly cheap, but well worth the result in my opinion.

best regards,

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Rich,

welcome. :beer:

Soviet awards are either researchable over the serialnumber or over the name of the awardee, so it should theoretically be possible to research a campaign Medal. I am not sure, if a sole Medal required an award card, but the VoG-Medal and Campaign Medals are mostly noted on it. So, if you have a name, then try it.

You probably got a pm from someone already, but if you still need a contact, send me a pm.

The costs are 40 Dollar for the award card, 15 dollar per citation and 20 Dollar for the personal record, if its available. Not exactly cheap, but well worth the result in my opinion.

best regards,

Gerd

Thanks guys. Ed kindly sent me details of a researcher.

That's not too bad a price, I suppose, at around ?40 for the lot.

Although I suppose a campaign medal document to a guy whose name is the Russian equivalent of "John Smith" may prove trickier to research. :D

The guys have you set up with the HOW & WHO of researching. For me, I also get the English translation. It's well worth the extra money. Enjoy your research...It's the story of the man or woman behind the medals in your protection.

:beer: Doc

The guys have you set up with the HOW & WHO of researching. For me, I also get the English translation. It's well worth the extra money. Enjoy your research...It's the story of the man or woman behind the medals in your protection.

:beer: Doc

Cheers Doc; fortunately, I know one or two Russian-speaking people so hopefully they'll be able to lend a hand for the price of a beer (or vodka).

Guest Rick Research

Money? Somebody does for MONEY what the winsome and fluffy Mahatma Ricky of Collecting does here for FREE??????????????

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless::speechless::speechless:

:rolleyes: