News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bejewelled

Triggered by thread on Order of Queen / Saint Tamara (if which some people have purchased more elaborate versions with jewels etc. on them... well beyond the original design) and also occasional jewelled medal I've seen in dealer catalogues (generally middle east), I am curious whether this practice has ever been seen on Soviet awards?

Obviously the Order of Victory is lavishly designed to begin with... but has it ever been noted that people had won an "ordinary" order of lenin, order of glory, etc. and then had a jeweller add some extra touches to it in the form of diamonds, etc.?

Just curious.

Obviously the Order of Victory is lavishly designed to begin with... but has it ever been noted that people had won an "ordinary" order of lenin, order of glory, etc. and then had a jeweller add some extra touches to it in the form of diamonds, etc.?

I've never seen or heard of anything like that. I don't know but I might even suspect that it may have been illegal to do. The most "out of the box" decoration on an award I've ever seen is the recipient's name and/or date of award and/or place of action. That was always on the reverse, however, either on the reverse of the award or on the screwplate.

Dave

P.S. Just noted that this was my 1000th post. :)

Edited by NavyFCO

Hi Bob,

With my limited experience with The Soviet, I am inclined to guess that such a practice would be against basic Marxist Communist principles - you know, that ?all are equal? concept. At the same time, I would speculate that if Brezhnev had lasted a few more years, we might have seen some ?special? or jeweled awards. :D Aside from the Order of Victory, I think that the closest we will find will be the synthetic rubies in the Nakhimov 1st class badges. :love:

Congratulations NavyFCO and thank you for 1000 useful, informative and positive contributions! :beer:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

I've never seen or heard of anything like that. I don't know but I might even suspect that it may have been illegal to do. The most "out of the box" decoration on an award I've ever seen is the recipient's name and/or date of award and/or place of action. That was always on the reverse, however, either on the reverse of the award or on the screwplate.

Dave

P.S. Just noted that this was my 1000th post. :)

Thanks Dave. I'm not as experienced a Soviet collector as many others here including you but I am still surprised at how few "name / date / place of action" inscribed awards then appear. I'd think it would almost be a "natural" thing to do with some of these awards (humans like to scribble stuff on things:)). Or was there a culture to prefer to stay "anonymous" perhaps? Any pics of such inscribed awards? How rare are these inscribed awards?

Guest RedThreat

Thanks Dave. I'm not as experienced a Soviet collector as many others here including you but I am still surprised at how few "name / date / place of action" inscribed awards then appear. I'd think it would almost be a "natural" thing to do with some of these awards (humans like to scribble stuff on things:)). Or was there a culture to prefer to stay "anonymous" perhaps? Any pics of such inscribed awards? How rare are these inscribed awards?

Bob, this Suvorov was on sale on a Russian forum.

http://forum-su.com/files/img_2162_153.jpg

http://forum-su.com/files/img_2157_993.jpg

http://forum-su.com/files/img_2158_203.jpg

http://forum-su.com/files/img_2159_139.jpg

Cheers,

Simon

Guest RedThreat

Gerd,

This Suvorov was offered for discussion/sale during the summer. A few people wrote general comments and then the thread died off. It took me some time a few days ago to locate pics on that forum. I am glad you found them interesting :jumping: I was running late for work and didn't pay enough attention to comments.

After reading your posts, I looked for an inscribed RS on screwback site but couldn't find it. There are so many orders there. Where should I look?

Simon

Hi Simon,

that looked like an intersting forum, but with very few entries unfortunately. Also unfortunate is, that this Suvorov 2 is a little out of my budget-range :(

take a look on the page with the Red Star, section "Duplicates, Mint Errors, "spare", etc... Its the very last one on that page, inscribed "Душечкина К. К."

Thanks again for posting a link to the pictures. :beer:

Gerd