News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nazi KRAG 1944

Mike

Here's an interesting one ..a Danish Krag reworked by STEYR dated 1944.

I have not found any in depth info on who these were issued to or how many were reworked.

Not in the best shape, sporterized but ...still glad I found it.

ever see one before ?

very out of the ordinary!

love the rifle and was not aware of

these stampings.

thanks!

joe

Thanks Joe ..glad to see I'm not the only one who never heard of a Nazi-Krag. If any members have any info on these , please jump in here.

It's not 8mm ..almost looks like a 6.5 or 7 (small) ..prob the original Dutch Cal.

What kind of ammunition did it use?

Hi Chris ...Here's a pic of the Krag bore on the left ...and a 98K on the right. They almost look the same but ..it seems to be a tad smaller than the 8mm. ...could it be an optical illusion ?

BTW ...does your Wife mind having your new MG08 on the Bed at night ?? :P

What a prize !! you were lucky finding and getting it, and being able to fly home without any problems.

Edited by Mike

We're lucky we married understanding Girls ...although , mine said she's drawing the line now that I bought that Anti-Tank Gun this year . She won't let me buy anything that takes up a lot of room now.

I was thinking of bringing it in the Basement for the Winter but , it won't fit :blush:

If she reads that I'm in trouble you know that right ? :(

She already told me she was thinking about setting up a Help or Support Group for Wives of Militaria Collectors.

What do think about the 2 bores ..does the Krag look a little smaller to you ?

Hello

The rifle is not Danish, its an ordinary Norwegian Krag J?rgensen 1894 Rifle. About 200 000 were built in Norway but about 30 000 were bought from Steyr. I?m not sure when the production started or ended in Austria, but most I have seen is late 1890 or early 1900.

The caliber is 6,5x55, same as 6,5x55 Swedish Mauser but with a different load. In Denmark the rifle was in caliber 8x58RD and the American version was in 30-40 Krag.

During WWII the Germans in Norway experimented wit a version in 7,92x57 Mauser.

After the war, rifles have been rebuilt to 30-06 and .308 Nato.

Except for the caliber the biggest visual difference, between Norwegian and a Danish rifle, is the coking part of the bolt. ( see pics)

The Krag was during the whole war. Some used by the armed part of the "Natinal Samling" , the "Hird". Some must have been used by Norwegian SS. Between 3500 and 4800 were produced for the German armed forces. A total of 13 500 were ordered, but due to sabotage the the order was never completed. ( The same happened in the production of Colt 1914 pistols and 40mm Bofors AA canons )

The rifles produced in WWII was stamped whit the year of manufaturing and had German acceptance markings. Also rifles from early er productions were acceptance marked. It?s common to find German markings on both Kongsberg and Steyrs, same goes for bayonets.

Ho ewer this is a bit odd. The original production yer have been removed and 1944 stamped in the same place. I have newer seen the N C marking before and never a Danish crown on a Norwegian one. it might be one used by Danish SS volunteers in a SS unit composed of Norwegian an Danes. ???

Used in Denmark or not, the rifle found its way back to Norway. The small lion stamp indicates that this have been sold out of Norwegian governmental stocks after the war. You can find this on everything from Mauser C 96?s, to Lee Enfields No 4 Mk I?s. I even have a German Kar 98 A, from 1917 whit this stamp.

Krag rifles, Steyr marked, found in South Africa is mostly rejected rifles from the Norwegian order. A few hundred went to South Africa whit Norwegian voluntaries, fighting whit the Boers.

Kjell

Edited by ksg

Hi Paul

Here is a link, to Wikipedia, on the subject. Quite good to be Wikipegia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krag-J?rgensen

Kjell

Hi Kjell , I agree with Paul ..Thank you so much for that. I knew right away that this was not a common Rifle but ...maybe it is rarer than I thought. Unfortunately, someone had cut down and sporterized the stock so I don't know if I'll be able to find the correct Military Stock for it here in the US. If you know of a Stock set in Norway that would be correct for it , please let me know ..maybe that would work.

Maybe someday we'll find out what the " N C " marking is and why it's marked by Norway and the Danish Crown .

Thanks --Mike

Hi

I?m glad you liked it !

Will look more into the N C and the Danish crown mark. Have some friends who is more into Krag rifles collecting than me. I also know some danish collectors. So hopefully...

Kjell

Hi Kjell , I agree with Paul ..Thank you so much for that. I knew right away that this was not a common Rifle but ...maybe it is rarer than I thought. Unfortunately, someone had cut down and sporterized the stock so I don't know if I'll be able to find the correct Military Stock for it here in the US. If you know of a Stock set in Norway that would be correct for it , please let me know ..maybe that would work.

Maybe someday we'll find out what the " N C " marking is and why it's marked by Norway and the Danish Crown .

Thanks --Mike

Hi??Mike

There are no (known) stockpiles of Krag parts anymore, but its normally not difficult to find what you are looking for. Please feel free to email me if you want me to get hold of the parts for you. My local gun shop had nothing at the moment but it turns up from tome to time.?I?m also sure some of my friends got what you need.

Kjell

• 2 months later...

Some new information on the Krag.

Steyr produced 20 000 rifles in 1896-97 and some in 1898. Yours is one of these. The crown is the Steyr factory mark. The letter underneath it (looks a bit like two letter on top of each other ??) P, for Paaske, the Norwegian chief inspector at Kongsberg Factory of Arms in this period. All rifles were controlled, probably in Austria, before they were accepted.

Then in 1944, the Germans started to modify some rifles. This variation is nicknamed "Stomperud Krag". Stomperud is a family name, but I also think it could be a nickname for something short. Whatever, the Germans shortened the long rifles down 15 cm and moved the front band and also the bayonet lug. The rifles got restamped, 1944 for the year they were rebuilt and received the "Waffenamt" stamp. They also got new numbers, ranging between NC 673 and NC 1095. I have not found out what the NC means but they all got this marking but on different places on the receiver. from the picture it also looks like they were fitted whit a Mauser Kar 98 front sight protector.The number of converted rifles is unknown, but are probably the difference between the new serial numbers. Some sources have a higher number, but even so this is not the most common Krag.

(Still looking for a stock for you Mike, which now have to be shortened down.)

Kjell

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Kjell , this sounds like it?s a much more interesting Rifle than I first thought ! ?I?m really glad I found it . :jumping:

Sorry about my delay in answering your post , I?ve been more or less ?off-line? since I Emailed you so many weeks ago ?work has kept me away from collecting (hate when that happens)

Do you know where these were issued ? I wonder if these were used by rear Echelon Troops or Police ?Since there were not that many made, they must be very hard to find. I?d love to be able to put the correct Stock back on it and "restore" it, thanks for helping me with this Kjell. :)

Thanks for that Kjell , this sounds like it?s a much more interesting Rifle than I first thought ! ?I?m really glad I found it . :jumping:

Sorry about my delay in answering your post , I?ve been more or less ?off-line? since I Emailed you so many weeks ago ?work has kept me away from collecting (hate when that happens)

Do you know where these were issued ? I wonder if these were used by rear Echelon Troops or Police ?Since there were not that many made, they must be very hard to find. I?d love to be able to put the correct Stock back on it and "restore" it, thanks for helping me with this Kjell. :)

Hi Mike

That's OK, have also been busy. I agree whit you, the rifle is quit interesting and also regarded as scarce. I will try to find out more about where this could have been issued, if it ever was. The "Stomperud Krag" were also produced in 7,92 . This might indicate the Germans had more plans for it but to let it be issued to the Norwegian NS or second line troops.

Rifles similar to this was put together and sold to the public between 1946-51, but none of these were NC marked.

Regards,

Kjell