News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sieges Thalers

In 1866 Prussia defeated Austria in only 7 weeks. To commemorate the victory King Wilhelm order a Thaler struck. It was a simple matter of adding a victory wreath to his portrait, but set a precedent.

In 1871 Prussia was again triumphant. Not only had they beaten France, but the German states were now united under the "guidance" of Prussia. Everyone was ecstatic (at least oficially). Wilhelm again ordered a Thaler struck. This time with more imagination.

In Baden Gro?herzog Friedrich, apparently more egalitarian than the various kings or syndics, decided to mint coins that the common man could afford to keep, so he instituted a series of 1 Kreuzer coins. The generic 1871 victory Kreuzer came in 2 forms, the "1 Kreuzer" obverse.

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread, Tom, thanks. Medals aren't too far away from coins. ;)

I agree, to sit and look at your collection and hold them in your hand, thinking where they`ve been, what tales they could tell if they could only speak. :beer: Wonderful!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Anyone any idea how much silver is in these thalers?

Bavaria, Prussia, Saxony, and W?rttemberg, actual weight 18.52g. @.900 or .536g. asw

Bremen, 17.539g. @.986, or .556oz. asw

The 2 and 3 Marks were 11.111g. @.900 or .3215oz. asw and 16.667g. @.900 or .4823oz. asw respectively.

Cheers Tom, .900 seems to be the average silver content for most silver coins, minted. Just out of interest are these expensive to collect?

Define expensive :cheeky: These represent a range from $30 to maybe $150. Unc specimens would run higher, but, like my medals, I prefer a little honest wear so am happy to settle for XF.

If you're interested there's an AU Bremen on eBay now ending in a couple hours. Do a search in coins/ Europe/ Germany, 1871 and you'll come up with a few of the others.

Define expensive :cheeky: These represent a range from $30 to maybe $150. Unc specimens would run higher, but, like my medals, I prefer a little honest wear so am happy to settle for XF.

If you're interested there's an AU Bremen on eBay now ending in a couple hours. Do a search in coins/ Europe/ Germany, 1871 and you'll come up with a few of the others.

Tom, I walked right into that one didn`t I :unsure: !!!!! $30 - $150, yeh thats about within my budget :cheeky: Like you I prefer the ones, that show signs of a little service. I`m just about spent up for this month, but thanks for the tip, I`ve got my eye on a few coins on ebay and elsewhere at the moment, there like buses aren`t they!!!.