News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bravery Awards for Enlisted Men

What were the highest awards for bravery that an enlisted man could earn? I know most states have thier own like the Prussian GMMC. What were they and lets see some pics.

Thanks

It should be noted that both the Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cross 1st Class for Distinction in War and the Krieger-Ehrenzeichen in Eisen of Grand Ducal Hesse were also awarded to officers, and, as is typical of such awarded, disproportionately so. So those numbers may not accurately reflect how rare the honor was for an enlisted man. Is there a breakdown for officers versus enlisted men? I don't have any of my references or research notes handy.

Here, from a Herrmann Historica auction a while back, is the big brother of Chris' Bavarian medal, the Golden Military Merit Medal (Goldene Milit?r-Verdienst Medaille), also called the Bravery Medal (Tapferkeitsmedaille).

IPB Image

From the Kingdom of W?rttemberg comes its Golden Military Merit Medal (Goldene Milit?rverdienstmedaille):

IPB Image

For the Grand Duchy of Baden, the highest enlisted man's award was the Merit Medal of the Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order (Verdienstmedaille des Milit?rischen Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstordens), also referred to as the Karl-Friedrich Military Merit Medal. This was also exceptional in being one of the few named German medals, as the recipient's name was engraved on the reverse.

A Gold Karl-Friedrich Military Merit Medal was only awarded 119 times, with more than half of these in the Napoleonic Wars, and with the last gold medal awarded in the Franco-Prussian War. The silver version was awarded 2,792 times: 498 awards from 1807 to 1814, 441 awards between 1814 and 1870, 571 awards during the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71) and 1,282 awards in World War I.

IPB ImageIPB Image

Note that Dave Danner's Gold SHM is probably a spangenstuch in silver or bronze and gilded.The Gold SHM was issued only in gold, then very briefly (under 100) in bronze gilt during WW1. No mas. Here's an example of a gold one that was stripped off a medal bar and sold loose.... (may they rot in hades forever)

It should be noted that both the Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cross 1st Class for Distinction in War and the Krieger-Ehrenzeichen in Eisen of Grand Ducal Hesse were also awarded to officers, and, as is typical of such awarded, disproportionately so. So those numbers may not accurately reflect how rare the honor was for an enlisted man. Is there a breakdown for officers versus enlisted men? I don't have any of my references or research notes handy.

Dave,

You make a good point, but enlisted men were certainly eligible for both.

Unforetunately, the only documented award information for the Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cross 1st Class for Distinction in War in my collection is a private photo of two GR89 officers during a parade in 1916. I understand that Rick has a copy of the rolls and should (given enough time and deciphering skills) be able to provide a breakdown.

I have the award documents or Milit?rp?sse to five recipients of the Krieger-Ehrenzeichen in Eisen, the highest-ranking of whom was a Vizewachtmeister. I would love to know more about the actual number of awards bestowed (approx. 2000 I have been told) and a breakdown of awards by ranks.

David

• 1 month later...