News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Restoration tips and pics

So, as this section is for preservation and restoration of militaria, I thought I'd start a restoration thread.

I realize this is a touchy subject, and I personally have somewhat inconsistent feelings on the subject (e.g. restoration on cloth items generally ok, restoration of awards not ok), bu there are some times when pieces are so hammered, I think everyone would agree the subject piece might as well be worked on a bit.

So, here are a few items to start it out. Attached are pics of German insignia I acquired from a fellow forum member (thanks again). I don't have before pictures, but picture swiss cheese, and you'll get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez! :o That's fabulous! :jumping: Whoever did it is a real artist. I only wish I'd known about this years ago as I had a very nice Legion Condor cuff title that sadly had a mothed area at the end of the title around some of the letters. Ended up trading it off ages ago as I thought it was a fairly hopeless case.

I also have a pair of Luft collar tabs that I thought had basically bit the dust. Any chance they could be saved? :unsure: One of them my mom attempted to repair but it came apart and one of the gulls unraveled. :(

Anyhow hope you don't mind me asking although I'm still fairly sure that at least the one is still a hopeless case. Just couldn't resist when I saw the great restoration work you had done.

Thanks, :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Yikes! I'll ask my expert what he thinks...

Many thanks! :beer: Again I don't hold out much hope but figured I'd check just in case. I only wish I still had the LC as that would have been a nice one to have as well restored. Kept it for years and years but then the opportunity came up to trade it for a bunch of stuff so off it went. :banger: Long before moving up here or joining GMIC. If I'd only known then what I know now... :rolleyes:

Also sorry for the late reply... as posted in the Lounge we've been off on a bit of an excursion these last few days so I've not been on the computer as much as I normally am.

Thanks again, :cheers:

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I checked with the man. The left tab could be cleaned up a bit, but the right one is beyond hope it seems. Poor guys :(

Hi Nack,

Kinda what I expected. There are miracles and then there are MIRACLES. :rolleyes: I agree, a shame. I'm just thankful they weren't rare. Of course had they been I'd have never had my mom even try. Not sure if it's worth it to just get the one done. I guess if nothing else they can serve as an example of what happens when the moths get to them and when a non-professional attempts a restoration. If it saves a good pair then it's worth it.

Many thanks for checking. I deeply appreciate that.

Have a fantastic weekend! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

If I may, what exactly is the process of this restoration? Whereas the items are substantially damaged, missing sections are somehow recreated, I would imagine with some modern materials. The end result is indeed impeccable which I guess is what matters and probably the restoration itself invisible.... Is that so Nack? However out of interest, how is this restoraction carried out - how invasive is this procedure?

Jim

As I understand it, and keep in mind I don't personally do the work, it generally involves taking material from the back of the tab and putting it in the holes on the front. Since you do not see the back, it makes the piece display more nicely. You can't actually add modern materials to fill in the holes because you could never match the color.

As I understand it, and keep in mind I don't personally do the work, it generally involves taking material from the back of the tab and putting it in the holes on the front. Since you do not see the back, it makes the piece display more nicely. You can't actually add modern materials to fill in the holes because you could never match the color.

Fascinating! Which explains why, if there is not much of the patch left, there is nothing with which to restore it! Interesting indeed!

Jim :cheers: