News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U-Boot Badge on Detlev's Update 07/08/05

Guest Darrell

Interesting Sub Badge that Detlev had on his site today. Anyone ever seen one of these? Unknown Maker?

Its the Hymenn & Co. (L/53) style. Normally would expect this type to have a more robust pin. Michel has one of these Hymenn style badges with the horizontal needle pin.

This pin though is more like the type found on the hollow back 1930s version of the Imperial U-Boat Badge made by Steinhauer. Haven't seen this type of pin before on a solid Hymenn badge.

Hymenn did make hollow back U-Boat badges though.

Guest Darrell

Yeah it's interesting. There is another on Weitze's site with a slightly different setup:

Guest Darrell

Michael,

Yours appears to be a match for Weizte's example. >What do you think about Detlev's version?

One of the things I have always found interesting is that the Germans changed the design so much from the WW1 style badge. Note that the bow of the boat is pointing to the left, opposite of the WW1 style. Also, the boat has substantially more detail than its' WW1 counterpart. Interessant, n'est-ce pas?

I believe what you are seeing in Detlev's photo is the angle of the top of the badge due to the angle of the photograph itself. I cannot comment on the originality of this badge, my experience is in other areas. However having said this, the badge Detlev has seems to be a spot-on match to the examples shown by Gordon, Jacques and the one for sale on Weitze's site.

The badge itself is absolutely correct for a wartime original Hymmen style badge. The solid area around the neck, the lack of a propeller etc are all perfectly good characteristics of a wartime piece. The only anomaly is the flimsy pin which is a type personally I have only so far seen on the hollow back Imperial U-Boat Badges, but this style of pin was indeed used on real badges of the period. Its the combination of this type of pin with a solid backed badge which is anomalous.

The Hymmen style however, were produced in a wider range of variants than any other maker of the period ( tombak, zink, vertical pin, horizontal pin, hollow back etc).

The problem is that this type of badge was heavily reproduced by a certain US dealer in Arizona, and usually came with spurious Schwerin markings. This and the unusual design ( without propeller etc) has a lot of people thinking this type of badge is wrong. It is NOT. This style badge was most certainly manufactured during WW2 by Hymmen & Co and is even featured on a period propaganda postcard, all its unusual features being clearly visible.

Guest Rick Research

Simply to illustrate what is being talked about--

here is the identical type pin on the all but universally worn 1930s+ Steinhauer & L?ck 1918 badge:

Heres a closer view of the image on the card.

The main features of a Hymenn style badge are quit evident on the wartime photo. The "blocked in" deck gun, the filled in area around the eagles neck, the lack of propeller, and also the raised ballast tanks. The Hymenn type were the only ones to represent the tanks realistically with a raised feature and not an indented line.

Hi,

Just a word of caution when bringing S&L needle pins into this discussion. Attached is an image of a WW1 Marine Wound Badge which I understand to have been produces by S&L in the 50s or 60s. The reverse looks OK but the obverse has some serious problems with die deterioration. Note the hinge/pin/catch on this example. These can be bought for 20 or 30 Euro in all grades.

Regards

Mike K

Edited by Mike K