News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

However, not all conversions were made with the help of a lead solder. This one used a metal piece with two holes. This piece attached to the screwpost by means of lower hole and secured with a hexagon nut.

This is more sophisticated method of conversion. The hole was made through the upper part of the order and some wire ran in this hole as a suspension ring. On this very image the seller cut off the wire before the order was sold. Cavalier was wise and did not cut off the screwpost as it was made on many conversions. So order is in pretty good condition after being converted back and force.

And finally, the conversion with the similar penetrating hole on the upper part of the order, but it has a threading inside. So some sort of screw with a loop on the top just twisted in this hole. I believe that this type provided pretty strong and reliable connection between the order and the ring.

Those are a very basic types of conversion. Of course more of them exist. You can add your examples of conversions.

Edited by Mondvor

Extremely interesting Andrei! In a way a pity to see so many Type 2s converted that way...but of course, its an integral part of the history of the order each and the change in the regulations of the wearing of these orders.

Interesting question though... What is more original - the converted Type 2 (screwback - suspension) or the converted order that was re converted to original screwback (screwback - suspension -screwback). I'd somehow rather own the converted suspesnsion piece then the reconverted screwback.......

Jim

Exactly, Jim! I have always believed that the "reconverted" were contemporary modifications done to service the collector market, destroying history in the process and producing a borderline-faked badge.

This would make a legitimate unconverted screwback a pretty rare bird?

Exactly, Jim! I have always believed that the "reconverted" were contemporary modifications done to service the collector market, destroying history in the process and producing a borderline-faked badge.

This would make a legitimate unconverted screwback a pretty rare bird?

Yep yep yep yep! Fully agreed Ed.

Jim

And I have never come across a non invasive conversion like the one in post 28! I can see why Andrei loves it..... !!!!

Such a piece embodies the original piece and the historical changes made to it due to regulations without any damage whatsoever!

Just an observation! With the screw back intact it muct have been a) a bit uncomfortable to wear due to the screw and b) would have probably had an awkward way of sitting on the breast (unless a hole would nevertheless be pierced and it would be screwed to the clothes in any case!)

Jim

The groups I like are those where a first Red Banner is retained as screwback, but screwed on in line, under a row of ribbon-mounted awards, so it only LOOKS suspended from a ribbon. Someplace, we have some photos of that wearing style. The best of both worlds!

The groups I like are those where a first Red Banner is retained as screwback, but screwed on in line, under a row of ribbon-mounted awards, so it only LOOKS suspended from a ribbon. Someplace, we have some photos of that wearing style. The best of both worlds!

If I understand properly the only problem with this would be that the red banner may be worn in the wrong precedence i.e. if you were awarded only 1 red benner and no lenins, other lesser medals may preceed the ORB which would be placed at say the beginning of the second row ........ when its should have been worn as the first medal on the first bar.

Would you get badly slapped on the wrist if you wore your medals in the wrong sequence or would you be OK as long as you held the right rank?

Jim

Interesting question though... What is more original - the converted Type 2 (screwback - suspension) or the converted order that was re converted to original screwback (screwback - suspension -screwback). I'd somehow rather own the converted suspesnsion piece then the reconverted screwback.......

Jim

Jim, of course the order converted by recipient to match current statute and regulations is more original, than the one re-converted by a dealer. More changes you make to the order, more damage you bring to it. So it is better not to change anything. It is just my opinion, maybe other people have different point of view.

Jim, of course the order converted by recipient to match current statute and regulations is more original, than the one re-converted by a dealer. More changes you make to the order, more damage you bring to it. So it is better not to change anything. It is just my opinion, maybe other people have different point of view.

NICE RED BANNER

VERY INTERESTING CONVERTION

VERY RERE AND INTERESTING EXAMPLE

I agree completely. I would prefer an order, converted by the recipient rather than an order, which was later re-converted by a dealer. Here is a nice example of a converted T1 Red Banner, mentioned above by our Forum-Wizard Rick Research:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4458&