News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Forumites, in a german forum their is a discussion abbout some orders that are sold via ebay germany (there was thread in the GMIC abbout a lippe-detmold leopold-order from the same seller)

I'am not so much into REO that i could say this star is a copy. but a collectors-fried is quite shure it is an piece after 1918.

any opinions are wellcome. REO Star on ebay

hanks

haynau

Two things strike me.... the oakleaves are absolutely an add-on to the original star. The presence of the four large rivets is interesting and unlike any other star I've seen. I'd like to see many different additional photos before reaching any conclusion.

Hello folks:

The RAO Star w/ oak leaves looks good to me! I don't believe that it is post-1918. In fact it looks like a late 1800's star with gold (not gilt) applied cross arms. The rivets are correct and I don't have a problem with the oak leaf attachment (look at the nut, it looks like period workmanship). The oak leaves also appear to be gold.

My vote is that it is probably good. This seller has sold some great pieces lately, and I think that this is no exception.

Watch the sale price on this one!

I do not believe that the case belongs to the star however.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hello again:

After checking a source in my library (and refreshing my memory about a detail regarding known originals) I am pleased to anounce that the star itself is original without a doubt!

I do not have a source showing the oak-leaf attachment on known pieces, but believe that this feature is also proper judging by the workmanship and quality.

Thanks,

"SPM"

Gentlemen,

Following are a couple of pictures of a similar (virtually identical) star for comparison. As others have mentioned, I do not recall ever having seen this four rivet configuration; but I would not discount this star on that basis.

One other thing, as yet unmentioned, is that I also do not recall ever having seen a case designed to hold the star with the pin in the open position.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Wild Card's star is actually a older then the initially discussed piece. Early stars were rather fragile due to the white enamled cross arm applications not being attached to the star. Several broke off. We know about pictures of those poor saps wearing stars with only 2 or 3 cross arms remaining on the star.

On Thies auction 26 No. 163 you will find a four rivet configuration Star.

Red

Absolutely correct! I don?t know how I missed this. :blush: I wish that I had noticed this while George was alive; we might have the answer as to the purpose of the rivets. :banger:

Thanks Red Eagle

Edited by Wild Card

Absolutely correct! I don?t know how I missed this. :blush: I wish that I had noticed this while George was alive; we might have the answer as to the purpose of the rivets. :banger:

Thanks Red Eagle

Dear Wildcard:

As Medalnet alluded to, the rivets hold the gold (in this case) cross arms to the silver body of the star. I have a French-made star which just has pieces of wire soldered to the back of the cross arms which go through holes in the star body and are bent over to hold the cross arms to the cross (a lot more crude than rivets!).

Best regards,

"SPM"