News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Naval Officers daggers

Hi all,

Here are my two examples of Soviet Naval Officers daggers. I got these in trade years ago. I'm a fan of the old Sci-Fi show Seaquest DSV and I have several original props and set pieces from the show. A gentleman I used to know had a daughter who also loved the show and especially the character of Lucas played by the late Jonathan Brandis. I managed to get him one of the jackets that had been worn by Jonathan on the series. In exchange he traded me these two daggers... the 1953 was actually a throw in.

The 1953 was as I say a throw in. The reason being he'd described it to me as having been damaged and that it looked like someone had used it to dig in a garden. When I got it I felt all it needed was some repair in that the crossguard had been bent on each end. That was easy enough. And then disassembly, a good polish and then reassembly. Needless to say it looks tons better now than it did when I got it. I'm not sure of the manufacturer as I have no guide on the makers marks used. Not even sure there is one floating around out there.

• 1 month later...

this belonged to one of soviet admirals, who began his military career long before the ww2.

Had also two Orders of lenin, and multiple high awards, including foreign. After the war he was a commander of Leningrad Navy District

Hi Takc,

Somehow WOW seems very inadequate here. :speechless1: A lovely piece! I've actually seen one other which was similar but I don't remember it having the engraved blade or the oakleaves on the scabbard fittings. But it did have the engraved plate and the red star and came cased in a very nice wood case which also had a matching presentation plaque on it.

Simply breathtaking! :jumping::jumping::jumping: You're a lucky man! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. :beer:

And by all means... to echo Richie... if you have additional history you're able to present on this one I hope you'll do so. :D

Dan :cheers:

My 'translation'

Admiral Ivan Ivanovich Baikov:

the commander of Leningrad naval base from January 1961 until December 1971. He was borne on 16 September, 1906, in St. Petersburg.

From October 1927 until February 1931 he studied at the naval school 'M. V. of Frunze', after the end of which he was appointed as the mine layer of submarine "Red Guard". From December 1931 until May 1932 he learned in the command class of the training force of underwater operations in Leningrad. During May 1932 he was appointed as the second in command of the submarine "Proletarian".

From September 1933 he was the commander of submarine "M16", which was part of the Pacific fleet. During March 1936 he was appointed as the commander of the submarine division of Pacific fleet. From May 1938 chief of staff, while from October 1939 the commander of the brigade of submarines in the same fleet. During April 1942 he was assigned to be the deputy chief of staff of Pacific Ocean fleet. From August 1943 the chief of staff of North Pacific Ocean flotilla.

On 5 November, 1944, he was awarded title rear admiral. From July 1946 he commanded Sakhalin military flotilla. During January 1947 he was assigned to command the 7th VMF, and awarded the title Vice Admiral. From October 1951 through February 1953 he studied in the naval department of the highest military academy, after which was appointed as the commandant of Kronstadt naval fortress. On 8 August, 1955, was awarded title full Admiral.

On the basis of order № 002 of 4 January, 1956, of Minister of Defense, Kronstadt naval fortress and Leningrad naval base were united into the Leningrad naval region. By order № 0207 of 25 January, 1956, of the commander-in-chief OF VMF of the commander of region was assigned Admiral I. i. baykov. For the execution of the directive № OF ORG/SHCH/'0'9YA of 16 March, 1960, of the Minister of Defense OF THE USSR Leningrad naval region was re-formed into the Leningrad naval base with the subordination to the commander-in-chief OF VMF.

The commander of Leningrad naval base and the commandant of Kronstadt naval fortress was Admiral I. i. Baykov. He resigned in January 1972, and passed away on 23 March, 1992, in Saint Petersburg. He was buried at the Serafimovskom cemetery.

Was awarded: four Order of Lenins (1935, 1951, 1957, 1967), the order of October Revolution (1976), three Order of the Red Banners (1945, 1946, 1956), two Order of the Patriotic Wars I class. (1946, 1985), the Order of the Red Banner of Labor (1966), two Order of the Red Stars (1943,1944), medals, and an honour weapon.