News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare WW2 Hungarian lot

Here is a lot that I got over the holidays. Not showing everything, as I dont have the time to photograph it all. Lot belonged to an individual of a Flak unit that was stationed in Budapest, then participated in the Balkan campaign and then to Army Gorup South during the winter of 1942.

In the lot are two photo albums filled with military and civil life (even into post war 1960's) A pile of fieldpost letters, a pocket sized daily diary from 1942, a huge map of the Soviet Union with marks as to where he was stationed to. Several documents, two of wich are medal awards, and some paperwork from the Rakosi era where he served in the post war military.

First photo a page from 1938/39 of his flak cannon near Budapest

some great shots of the prime movers as well. Both photo albums have photos of them 'testing' the limits of the half tracks by putting them in teh ditch and drawing them out.

The Citadella refers to the Citadel on the Buda side. There is a fortress from the 1800's built there. Prior to WW2 a flak pad was built there to defend the skies from enemy bombers. During the war the Allies bombed it several times as the flack center was pesky to the bombers.

Edited by hunyadi

One of the more disturbing photos - it would appear to be either partisans or a 'reprisal' against Serb nationalists who would attack the occupying forces. In January of 1942 at Ujvidek/Novi Sad the Hungarains rounded up 7000 individuals for suspected pratisan activity and excecuted nearly 2000 before the acting officers were stopped. The two Hungarian offciers General Feketehalmi - Czeydner and Col Grassy were indicted on war crimes - the first war crime of WW2. The trial never finsihed as the Germans occupied Hungary in 1944 and the preceedings were canceled. This photo is from Zombor about 60KM from Ujvidek and is probably from 1941 as by 1942 this unit was already in the Soviet Union.

The rest of the first album is filled with more photos of the occupation - even a photo of Nazi Party members on parade in Eszek about 10 km west of the Danube in Bacska!

Here is the next photo album that begins with Army Group South during the fall of 1941. Photo of a downed Soviet light bomber and a series of photos of a funeral.

Edited by hunyadi

the cut out photo is supposedly that of hanged partisans (not a good thing to have during the commnist times of Hungary - probably fear of someone finding out that he might have participated in such activites.)

Ormester Joseph was not only a good shot with the flack gun - but not too bad of an artist either! Some letters he sent home to his family and some letters from a girlfriend!

Edited by hunyadi

And the most rare item. Here is his offcial Hungarian documnet certiying that he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class! Becuase of the stigma and fear of reprisals after the fall of Hungary to the Red Army - almost all of such documentation was destroyed during the war. The only other document that I have encountered in the last 5 years was an Ostfront Medal.

Wow!!!

Brilliant album and rare as diamonds.

I am filled with envy.

I can find a diamond at the corner jewlrey shop every day. But I know what you mean. Its been five years of looking to find such a group as this. Sometimes you can find buts and pieces - but this thing is so amazingly complete. Will post more pictures later.

A breathtaking set of photos! I am in Hungary and been into militaria for a year and a half, but had never seen such a nice album...

I don't know if you are hungarian, but if you are, you should check http://www.netlabor.hu/roncskutatas/ (It is a forum page dedicated to Hungarian WWII militaria) These pictures should be post there as well.

(If you are not familiar with hungarian language I would like to ask you to permit me to post them there, please (with the source noticed, of course))

A breathtaking set of photos! I am in Hungary and been into militaria for a year and a half, but had never seen such a nice album...

I don't know if you are hungarian, but if you are, you should check http://www.netlabor.hu/roncskutatas/ (It is a forum page dedicated to Hungarian WWII militaria) These pictures should be post there as well.

(If you are not familiar with hungarian language I would like to ask you to permit me to post them there, please (with the source noticed, of course))

greetings Decker! We welcome all Hungarian collectors! :Cat-Scratch:

Do you know anything about the workers' militia medal by any chance?

I understand that it was awarded en masse upon the militias' disbandment in 1989.

Edited by Ulsterman

greetings Decker! We welcome all Hungarian collectors! :Cat-Scratch:

Do you know anything about the workers' militia medal by any chance?

I understand that it was awarded en masse upon the militias' disbandment in 1989.

Thanks for welcoming me!

Your informations are correct. The WM medal was awarded countlessly, there are very much of them. I also have a copy with award document, case, miniature and ribbon.

Decker - lehett!

• 2 months later...

When I thought that I had a nearly complete set... This last weekend was the monthly militaria show and I was looking through a huge box full of photographs tossed in it. While I was not realy looking for any WW2 photos at the time - I picked out of the 'grab bag' this document for the return of Transylvania medal - to my utter surprise it was issued to Mr Varga! Its a nice treat to get another piece of the collection. The guy who had the box of photos (impossible to say if there were more Varga items in them as there were probably a thousnad photogrpahs to look through) threw in the medal as well - not Varga's in all reality - but its a nice item to go with the document. Now if I could find his Southern Hungary medal - that would be great!