News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A form letter to help amend the Stolen Valor Act!

hunyadi

Hello All US Citizens -

Below is a copy of a form letter that I have made with the help of Ed's letter that he sent to his congresman. Please if the SVA upstets you as much as it does me - use this as a base and write your congressmen and women to alert them to this pice of legislation. Also to help your efforts get noticed. Place a smiliar letter to the editor of your newspapers. Apparently many politicians have individuals on thier staff who read the editorials and bring them to the attention of the congressmen/women. In the editorial you should put in that you have contacted the politicians and you are awiaing a reply. "put the ball in their court" In the letter below, I have made a few suggestions in bold that should not be put into the letter but are guidelines.

Dear Senator XXXXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter concerning an issue of recent legislation known as the Stolen Valor Act. I shall remain optimistic that you will help correct this issue as you have a record supporting our troops, their memory and the rights of citizens. (what politician is going to arge that they dont support the troops?)

Currently as written, the Stolen Valor Act has a dreadful, and presumably unintended consequences over which I, and many others, are severely troubled. This bill was signed into law by President Bush in December 2006 and took effect on 1 January 2007. From the beginning of its inception, the sponsors in the House and Senate claimed that the intent of the Stolen Valor Act was to punish those who falsely claim to have received US military decorations and accolades, and to close the ?Medal of Honor loop-hole? as to the sale of this one particular medal.

It is my firm belief that the Stolen Valor Act, as currently written is not going to accomplish its intended purpose. One such result of the legislation is that our brave men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan are turned into criminals if they mail a Silver Star or other bravery medals home for safe keeping. This is of course only one of the outrageous effects of this law.

I am the great grandson, the grandson and the son of men who have served this great nation in World War One, World War Two and the Cold War. My grandfather who served with the 7th Bomber Group in the China Burma India theatre of World War Two flew over 42 combat missions. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal and other such awards for his bravery in the face of extreme danger. Sadly this nations hero has passed away in 2006. With the current language of the Stolen Valor Act, any of my family members or I are deemed as criminals should any of us inherit these medals that he received for his bravery as the medals would somehow have to be ?shipped? or ?mailed? for any of us to receive them into our possession. As the wording states in Section 704, paragraph A, the code reads, [it is illegal for anyone] ?Whoever knowingly wears, purchases, attempts to purchase, solicits for purchase, mails, ships, imports, exports, produces blank certificates?? (here you should probably put a personal story of how this law affrcts you!)

In addition, it has damaged the ability of patriotic Americans, like myself, to preserve American history. Many people like myself, collect, research and preserve US medals and decorations. I spend my own hard earned money to purchase these medals when the family of the soldier has died off and for unknown reasons the surviving family members simply do not want to keep them in their possession. It is my desire that every family cherished these medals as much as I do, but this is simply not the case in so many countless instances. Being an individual who has these medals in my possession, it would be absolutely be the farthest thought in my mind to wear any of them or make any false statements about them being bestowed upon me by our great government and I would never associate with anyone who did so! In addition many people as well as myself take up the challenge to protect these medals in our possession and the memory of the soldier who earned them. Through a lengthy process at the National Archives and various other libraries these medals are then researched and the memory of these soldiers are preserved for the future.

All of this work is now in danger because of the Stolen Valor Act. I ask you to please think of how much this law, as written, hurts the preservation of American history and the ability of our citizens to honor the memory of those who have sacrificed so much for the freedoms we all enjoy now. This law does not protect these medals from abuse, but in many cases condemns them to being literally thrown away into the garbage. Even prior to this law there have been many documented cases where individuals such as myself have literally found Purple Hearts and Silver Stars and their documentation in the garbage after estate sales. In addition to this, the exchange of such medals will now be only legal overseas and consequently foreigners will be the only ones who can legally trade in United States valor medals. This is exactly what happened to the Congressional Medal of Honor since the ban on its sale in the US when into affect.

It has also come to my attention that the Department of Defense also opposes this legislation as written because it will force them to devote manpower and resources urgently need elsewhere, to issuing and tracking medals for service personnel and veterans. Organizations such as the Orders and Medals Society of America, which is made up of collectors and researchers of military medals, are actively working with the Institute of Heraldry to amend the CFR to fix this issue as well.

Please help us to correct this injustice. The solution should be as easy as amending the Stolen Valor Act (Code of Federal Regulations Title 32, part 507) in Section 704. If the phrase ?with fraudulent intent? was added to paragraph A, where the code reads, ?Whoever knowingly wears, purchases, attempts to purchase, solicits for purchase, mails, ships, imports, exports, produces blank certificates, ? barters or exchanges anything of value with fraudulent intent?? the issue would surely be solved.

Thank you once again for taking the time to read this letter. I look forward to hearing from you soon about the steps we can take to amend this law, yet still punish those who disgrace the memory of our servicemen and women by trying to claim unearned accolades.

Sincerely,

Guest Rick Research

I do not want to sound unrealistically pessimistic BUT after a half a century in a one party kleptocracy whose Lifetime Incumbents have never set foot in my district...

any letter writing campaign INCORRECTLY presumes that the same political hacks who did NOT read the Act they enacted are actually going to read constituent letters.

That NEVER happens. EVER.

The Lofty are (sniff) too busy with Weightier Matters, and getting that next Major Contributor's check cashed.

Letters go to their lowly and resentful juniormost gopher staffers who get stuck with this duty, which means, Eyes Glazed Over/Return Prepared Generic Form Letter Eventually If Ever, notching off statistical responses (if that) |||| /, |||| /, ||....

They simply do not CARE. And now they are in numbers unassailable since Carter's day, have even LESS reason to care.

Outraged nonetities (that would be US) aren't going to cost them any sleep.

Or votes.

Sadly, assuming that the Special Losers taken off hunting down Muslim mass murderers duty who turn up at the SOS Show next month to seize $XXX,XXX worth of self-promting "scalps" can only be fought ONE way

OUT Congress members who are and have been flying under false decorations. Nail their hides to the internet door. And demand their prosecution under their own Act. Write letters to your local paper ABOUT them, not TO them.

If any of them had given a .... this Intolerable Act would never have made it out of Committee.

Rick - completely agree with you - I doubt that much will happen - but doing somethign that I was taught to do way back in the 1970's as a part of my civic duty sticks with me. So doing nothing is just not an option for me. I was probably overly confident that the OMSA was going to be my voice and right the wrongs - but that was wrong thinking. If I dont do anythign - then I have no room to complain. So I can go to bed at night and sleep knowing I did my best. Soldier on. Soldier on.

Here is what I heard from Congressman Simpson, R-Idaho.

Dear Daniel,

My name is Megan XXXXXX and I am Congressman Simpson's Legislative Assistant in charge of Military and Veterans Issues. The Congressman asked me to respond to your letter by email in order to expedite the response.

The Stolen Valor Act was designed to expand federal law enforcement's ability to prosecute individuals who claim to have received military medals they did not earn. It was supported by a number of organizations including the Military Order of the Purple Heart, Vietnam Veterans of America, and the FBI Agents Association. Because current law only allowed prosecution of imposters who wear an unearned Medal of Honor on their person, this legislation will expand the law to include those who publicly claim to be decorated veterans, allowing the Federal Bureau of Investigation to finally prosecute several high profile cases. I have included a link to a website which discusses the legislation and highlights some examples of cases in which it was meant to target.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/herobill/

This bill passed the House on December 6, 2006 by voice vote rather than by recorded vote.

Thanks,"

I reponded with the letter posted earlier. Once again they site Home of Heroes. Pam Sterner, The web sites owner's wife started this whole mess.

Don't give up. There has to be 1 in 100, or 1 in 435 that gives a rat's ass.

Edited by Daniel Cole

Rick,

I cannot disagree with you more. If this is done correctly and by enough people, we can win this battle. The trick is being persistent and knowing how to hurt them. When you get a canned response like that from a Congressman, write a well thought out letter to the editor of the local papers pointing out that Congressman XXXX sent you this insulting canned letter even after you pointed out how the SVA oversteps its stated goals of punishing frauds, but that it turns our servicemen into criminals, hurts Americans' ability to preserve, honor and study American history and our veterans, etc.... You have to phrase everything into questions and statements that they can't take a no brained stance without looking like a fool in public. Its kind of like asking someone the question, "So, when did you stop beating your wife?" No matter what they respond, they look like they are on the defensive and were in fact, beating their wife.

Please do not take one bad letter as a sign to surrender. Keep at them and ramp up the pressure. The letters to the editors are a MUST.

Thanks,

Ed Maier

Guest Rick Research

Well, Daniel's useless form letter "reply" certainly sums up the ilk. ||||/, ||| :banger:

It's going to take somebody with the POWER to actually GET the Perpetually Junior Senator from Assachusetts's REAL records to blow this thing up in their own faces. And I am sure there are others of that profile in Congress.

Out them. Out them. Out them. REGARDLESS of partisan preferences. Let there be "no exceptions" just as there are NONE in this idiotic Act.

Leaks leaks everywhere and NONE from DoD personnel filekeepers.

Well, Daniel's useless form letter "reply" certainly sums up the ilk. ||||/, ||| :banger:

It's going to take somebody with the POWER to actually GET the Perpetually Junior Senator from Assachusetts's REAL records to blow this thing up in their own faces. And I am sure there are others of that profile in Congress.

Out them. Out them. Out them. REGARDLESS of partisan preferences. Let there be "no exceptions" just as there are NONE in this idiotic Act.

Leaks leaks everywhere and NONE from DoD personnel filekeepers.

Rick,

That is one single form letter that indicates that they believe the sender if not serious about the issue. You must wirte the letter to the Editor of the paper mentioning the person by name. This forces them to reply in something more then a form letter. You may not always win each argument, but if you subscribe to your theory, I guarentee that you will loose the battle on every issue.

To expose these idiots, you must act, and be persistent. If you get a form letter by writting, then call them. If that doesn't work, go to their office in person. You want to speak with the staffer in charge of veterans affairs or legislative affairs. They are the people you need to convience about your argument.

Sincerely,

Ed Maier

My letter to our senior senator via eMail:

Dear Senator Kennedy,

Please advise your position regarding this law. My analysis is such that based on the way the law is written; my 86 year old Mother-In-Law is now a criminal because she possesses the war medals won by her dead ex-husband who was shot down over Europe in WW2! Should she decide to leave them to my wife, then my wife becomes a criminal as well?

Is this truly what you intended by passage of this law?

It is a travesty that hundreds of thousands of Americans will now instantly become criminals by virtue of what they were willed, their family's history or items that were collected by their family over time. Again, is this what you intended?

I am a registered Republican in Massachusetts. An unusual bird. I have supported you and your family since I turned 18 as my family did before me. I am so thoroughly disgusted that hundreds of WW2 era citizens, mainly widows; are now in fear that they have broken the law. Why? Because of this very poorly worded law.

Sincerely,

Richard Alan Versailles

Ware, MA

Title 18, United States Code, Section 704

(a) In General. - Whoever knowingly wears, purchases, attempts to purchase, solicits for purchase, mails, ships, imports, exports, produces blank certificates of receipt, manufactures, or sells, attempts to sell, advertises for sale, trades, barters or exchanges for anything of value any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

... one would think given the percentage of Bar members sitting in the House & Senate that there would be a fraction that would understand the impact of the words of the law that was passed..... I will bet money that prior to voting, a great many never read the law. :speechless1:

... one would think given the percentage of Bar members sitting in the House & Senate that there would be a fraction that would understand the impact of the words of the law that was passed..... I will bet money that prior to voting, a great many never read the law. :speechless1:

As heard from the mouth of a congressman and a California state politician (Congressman wants to create the fair reporting law - IE a conservative based talk show would have to give a liberal side to the issues discussed - the CA lady wants to make a law that would prohibit parents from spanking thier kids as a disciplinary action) = both of these folks said (basicaly) to the public on radio 'Awwww, come on! You know we would not do that!' when asked "Are you going to arrest the mother who spanks her kid at WalMart when he clearly becomes disobedient?" and "Are you going to put me in jail because I refuse to have a liberal agenda on my show?' - Awww come on - you know that is too extreme - we would never do that (even though the law clearly states as such)

Its a piss poor land where the laws as written become subject to 'it only applies when I want it to'. Getting the form letter from the representative clearly shows the 'just because the law is written that way does not mean we will enforce it' attitude - How about rape, murder, assault, burglary - since to be fair = the laws now are just 'when I feel like it'....

What really happened - is this - soemone in the office of the senator looked at the law and siad "if you dont want your opponent next election using the ammunition that you think its OK for lunatics to go running around the parade grounds with medals on their chest when all they did is sit at home and watch CNN and masturbate in 2003...then you have to vote 'Yes' for this law"

Edited by hunyadi

All,

Here is an update from the Congressional Front.....

I spoke with the staff officers in Congressman Bartlett's office and they are looking for some way to introduce legislation to amend the law. Their problem is that without Democrat support for our position, the bill will never get out of comittee. Does anyone know of a Democrat who supports our position?

Some of the people that must be contacted are Gene Taylor, D-MS and Ike Skelton D-MO. These are imporatnat comittee heads that need to be informed of the damage the SVA does as written. Anyone in their District needs to contact them directly (phone, letter and in person) right away.

Thanks,

Ed Maier

After the first response from the office I Representative Simpson, R-Idaho. I rep;ied back with the doc off the OMSA site. Her reply:

"Dan,

Thank you for the information and explanation. I will certainly discuss this issue with the Congressman and let him know of the difficulties it has created. Unfortunately, Congressman Simpson is not on the committee with jurisdiction over this issue. I would recommend that you continue to work with the Orders and Medals Society of America as well as the Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over this law, to implement the changes needed to protect the rights of our military men and women while, at the same time, guaranteeing the rights of collectors and those who work to preserve and honor our great military men and women and their traditions.

Best,

Megan"

Perhaps some good advice on direction and approach. I still haven't heard anyhing from the Senators. One more wek and I'll call.

Dan

I would echo Ed's comments. This is a fight we ought to embrace, and I think something can be achieved. I too will be embarking on a letter-writing campaign. If this fiasco is indeed the fault of the aforementioned-website-owner's wife, then clearly a single person's complaints can get results.

Here is a link showing the connection between Pam Sterner and the Stolen Valor Act. Her good intentions I believe got corrupted once the bureucratic process started. I don't consider her a villianese, just ill advised. I believe the actual person who screwed this up for all is FBI Crusader Agent Cottone. He is the problem and has an agenda.

http://www.colostate-pueblo.edu/news/releases06/100.htm