News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who began his Soviet awards collection during the Soviet area ?

Here is a short translation for the ones, who are not able to read german. The prices are indeed high and thats an understatement...

3811 Order of Lenin, screwback....3000 DM (1974) (~3600 Euro today)

3812 Order of A. Nevsky, screw shortened and serialnumber erased 900 DM (1974) (~1100 Euro today)

3813 Order of Kutuzov 3rd class (?) on a medalbar together with Victory over Germany Medal 400 Dm (1974) (~500 Euro now)

3814 Nakhimov Medal 125 DM 1974 (~150 Euro)

3815 Order of the GPW (i suppose its a 2nd class) 400 DM (1974)(~500 Euro)

3816 Order of the Red Banner, screwback 500 DM...(~600 Euro)

3817 Order of Labor (? no idea, what they mean) 500 DM ...(~600 Euro)

3818 Order of the Red Banner of Labor 500 DM ...(~600 Euro)

3819 Order of the Red Star 200 DM (~250 Euro)

3820 same as above

3821 same as above

3822 Order of Glory 3rd class, without ribbon 180 DM (~220 Euro)

3823 same as above, but with ribbon 200 DM (~250 Euro)

3824 Two Medals: Medal Victory over Germany and Victory over Japan 100 DM (~120 Euro)

3825 Medal for the Defense of Moscow, Partisan Medal 1st class 100 DM

3826 Medal for the Liberation of Prague and Medal Victory over Germany 100 DM

3827 Medal for the Defense of Caucasus and Medal for the Liberation of Prague 100 DM

3828 Medal for Distinguished Labor 125 DM (~150 Euro)

3829 Collection of Excellent Soldier Badges 18 pieces 350 DM (~420 Euro)

Here is a short translation for the ones, who are not able to read german. The prices are indeed high and thats an understatement...

3811 Order of Lenin, screwback....3000 DM (1974) (~3600 Euro today)

3812 Order of A. Nevsky, screw shortened and serialnumber erased 900 DM (1974) (~1100 Euro today)

3813 Order of Kutuzov 3rd class (?) on a medalbar together with Victory over Germany Medal 400 Dm (1974) (~500 Euro now)

3814 Nakhimov Medal 125 DM 1974 (~150 Euro)

3815 Order of the GPW (i suppose its a 2nd class) 400 DM (1974)(~500 Euro)

3816 Order of the Red Banner, screwback 500 DM...(~600 Euro)

3817 Order of Labor (? no idea, what they mean) 500 DM ...(~600 Euro)

3818 Order of the Red Banner of Labor 500 DM ...(~600 Euro)

3819 Order of the Red Star 200 DM (~250 Euro)

3820 same as above

3821 same as above

3822 Order of Glory 3rd class, without ribbon 180 DM (~220 Euro)

3823 same as above, but with ribbon 200 DM (~250 Euro)

3824 Two Medals: Medal Victory over Germany and Victory over Japan 100 DM (~120 Euro)

3825 Medal for the Defense of Moscow, Partisan Medal 1st class 100 DM

3826 Medal for the Liberation of Prague and Medal Victory over Germany 100 DM

3827 Medal for the Defense of Caucasus and Medal for the Liberation of Prague 100 DM

3828 Medal for Distinguished Labor 125 DM (~150 Euro)

3829 Collection of Excellent Soldier Badges 18 pieces 350 DM (~420 Euro)

Some prices seem high but high Orders seem realy cheap :unsure:

Order of Victory

-- Austria, Golden Fleece, chain and badge - DM 4000

Dear Ed,

that's a joke - or a fake made out of scratch ;) .

That's an original chain & badge of the Order of the Golden Fleece: http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page476.html .

Even the price for the gold-content - the chain is made out of massive gold! - would have exceeded at that time USD 2600,- :D .

Besides of that aspect, an original "Chained Fleece" is one of the rarest and most precious orders in the world. If you would put the item of the "Kunsthistorische Museum" (see link above) to an auction at Sotheby's, the hammer price will be far beyond USD 1.000,000,-.

The (Burgundian-Austrian) "Order of the Golden Fleece" is the most supreme (monarchistic) award of the Christian-Catholic World - still :cheeky: .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Golden_Fleece

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Famous, I have never heard of that before :unsure: does any one have a pic :jumping:

Some place, I have an image of the Klenau-special K3rd on pentagonal suspension. They were around in the mid-1970s, I know, and 100% Klenau-made. I remember Dr. Kleitmann pointing one out to me at my first OMSA convention -- did I just date myself? -- and laughing that someone would probably buy such rubbish.

Dear Ed,

that's a joke - or a fake made out of scratch ;) .

That's an original chain & badge of the Order of the Golden Fleece: http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page476.html .

Even the price for the gold-content - the chain is made out of massive gold! - would have exceeded at that time USD 2600,- :D .

Besides of that aspect, an original "Chained Fleece" is one of the rarest and most precious orders in the world. If you would put the item of the "Kunsthistorische Museum" (see link above) to an auction at Sotheby's, the hammer price will be far beyond USD 1.000,000,-.

The (Burgundian-Austrian) "Order of the Golden Fleece" is the most supreme (monarchistic) award of the Christian-Catholic World - still :cheeky: .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Golden_Fleece

Christian

While it is :off topic: , the image of the fleece.

Dear Gerd,

I think that the real purchasing power of the "Deutsche Mark" DM (= 50 % of EURO) had been in 1974 at least 3.5 times higher, than now - just for "ordinary" luxury goods, i.e., Mercedes-cars, etc. The ratio of real prices, concerning antiques, paintings, collectibles, etc. had been even more dramatic if you compare 1974 to 2007 in Germany (or Austria).

I assume, that the starting price for the "Lenin" might have been around USD 5000,- in real terms :unsure: .

Christian

And the text. Note: "Sammlerst?ck"!

Dear Ed,

as I assumed: A piece of scratch and a very "cheap" made copy - usually "Hofjuwelier Koechert" in Vienna produces better copies ;) .

For that piece of sXXt, the starting price of DM 4000,- (in 1974!) is exorbitant high :mad: .

Christian

For that piece of sXXt, the starting price of DM 4000,- (in 1974!) is exorbitant high :mad: .

Graf Klenau did some dubious stuff, for sure. But I bet someone bought it.

But when would a "Sammler" find the "real thing"? Like those tin-can VC copies that infest e$cam?

Back on topic, I was TOLD that most of his Soviet stuff was good, except the major exceptions like the K3rd pentagonal acid-trip.

But a DM 200 Red Star! Compares to:

-- Bavaria, Medaille f?r die Niederschlagung des Pf?lzer Aufstandes, 1849

-- Brazil, O Southern Cross, officer

-- Germany, Visit of Kaiser Wilhelm II to Turkey, 1899

-- Frankfurt, 15 Years Service Cross

-- Hannover, Waterloo Medal

-- Indonesia, Gerilya Order, 1st class set

-- Italy, Silver Bravery Medal, 1849

-- Meck-Schwerin, Kriegsdenkm?nze, 1848-49

etc.

Dear Ed,

many thanks for your comprehensive informations :beer: .

Tell us, what would be the market-prices for some of these listed medals & orders today in 2007 :unsure: ?

-- Bavaria, Medaille f?r die Niederschlagung des Pf?lzer Aufstandes, 1849

-- Brazil, O Southern Cross, officer

-- Germany, Visit of Kaiser Wilhelm II to Turkey, 1899

-- Frankfurt, 15 Years Service Cross

-- Hannover, Waterloo Medal

-- Indonesia, Gerilya Order, 1st class set

-- Italy, Silver Bravery Medal, 1849

-- Meck-Schwerin, Kriegsdenkm?nze, 1848-49

Many thanks :love: .

So we might see the "true" value of a RS ;) .

Best regards

Christian

Dr. Herfurth's Soviet Awards collection in 1987

Gentlemen,

due to the photocredits in Dr. Herfurth's first book about Soviet Military Awards, which he published in the GDR in 1987, his private collection included these items:

- the 3 Long-Service-Medals (only av. is photographed)

- 20 different "Excellent ...."-badges (incl. "Sniper" & "Submariner"!)

- almost comprehensive collection of "Classification Badges" of all branches

- some "fruit-salad" of high end orders (inkl. "Victory"!)

- some "Souvinir"-badges

- a nice collection of stamps from the CCCP-Mail dealing with Awards & GPW

Now - 20 years later - Dr. Herfurth's collection is a little bit larger :D .

It is interesting to see, which CCCP awards & badges had been possible to collect legally in the GDR during Communism ;) . O.K., as the author of the world's first non-Russian book about Soviet Awards he might have had a special access for his medals & badges.

Christian

• 5 years later...

My little contribution on this old thread:

I started around 1995 and all began on flea markets in Germany. But I can't remember what came first (chicken or egg?), the first soviet medal or the first book about them (the colored GDR book from Herfurth). And if I had known what I know now, I would have spent every Pfennig in them! Here are some flea market prices as far as I can remember them:

Order of the Red Banner (post 1943): 25 - 40 DM

Order of the Red Star: 20 DM

Campaign medals: 10 - 20 DM

Medals for Distinguished Military Service (set of both classes): 25 DM

Bravery and Military Merit Medals: ~ 15 - 20 DM

Order of the Red Banner of Labour/Badge of Honor/Workers Glory 3. Cl.: ~ 25 DM each

Jubilee Medals: 5 DM (with some trading 3 DM ;)

:speechless1:

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings gentlemen,

My contribution to this old thread and my first comment . . .

Started collecting back in 1990, so barely made it before the breakup of the USSR. First purchase was a Capture of Berlin medal bought in Berlin. I knew Dietrich Herfurth in Berlin back in the early 1990s. Provided the Type 2 Red Star ("Mondvor") example for his second book. His original book led me astray in my reconstituting my Type 1 XX Year Red Army medal, since he made no distinction between the original suspension and that of the other pre-1943 military suspensions . . . had I known otherwise . . .

It was really kinda "wild west" back then. We had little to go by and in terms of reference material and both dealers and collectors traded information freely, at least in Berlin. Had I known what I know now I would have bought every XX Year Red Army that came my way, but can't complain, really. I remember that the first Partisan 1st Class medals we saw were almost exclusively fakes, not that we knew that at the time. That is it must have been one of the most faked medals in Soviet times.

• 3 months later...

I started buying Russian medals in the late 60's because no one else wanted them. My main collecting field was WWII German and the Russian medals just seemed a natural. I bought some items from veterns but mostly at gun shows. I have several order of glories a bunch of campaign medals and some red stars. I honestly do not remember what I paid for them but when I sold them in the mid 70's I did quite well.

The ones I bought from veterans most likely were trade items with the russian soldiers as they still had the serial numbers on them. All the ones I purchased at gun shows had the numbers scratched out. I was told that they came from Finland.

I quite collecting Russian medals then because you just could not find them for sale at any price till the mid 70"s and then they wer too expansive for my pocketbook.

Jim