News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this Soviet ODM real or not?

USAF,

you need MUCH better pictures of the order, especially of the ring on top of the order and a clear picture of the obverse and a closeup of the white enameled ring, if possible. I am not good enough with these to give you an opinion, but i guess, other member will be able to comment.

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker
    including NOT

USAF,

you need MUCH better pictures of the order, especially of the ring on top of the order and a clear picture of the obverse and a closeup of the white enameled ring, if possible. I am good enough with these to give you an opinion, but i guess, other member will be able to comment.

Gerd

I'd agree with everything Gerd said. While I'd like to hear from the more expert members of the community, my non-expert eyes see a number of areas that bother me. For something this uncommon (and expensive), you need to be 100% sure.

I'd agree with everything Gerd said. While I'd like to hear from the more expert members of the community, my non-expert eyes see a number of areas that bother me. For something this uncommon (and expensive), you need to be 100% sure.

I, too agree with Gerd and Ed. This one leaves me with some doubt about it being a good OPW. I hope that you can post better pictures.

:beer: Doc

Dear All,

I have seen a lot of threads discussing originality or otherwise of individual medals. I am proposing this thread in this section as a forum on which to debate originality or otherwise of dubious items.

The rules are simple:

- If you do not know whether your order or medal is original post it here with clear and close up pics and forum members will help throw some light on the originality of the item.

- Members assisting with identification please try to be as specific as possible saying more that fake or not also helping to use comparative scans were poissible to outline your case.

This thread is accessible to members only so that ensures that any pointers given out are at least restricted to forum members.

I hope this idea takes off and that some of us may find it a useful exercise to learn more about how to detect original items from fakes.

Regards,

Jim

Awaiting the close ups.... especially of the suspension ring which was conveniently cropped.... :rolleyes:

Jim

...and one could already speculate from this photo, that this is for a damn good reason :D

I think, i have seen more fakes of suspended OPW?s than real ones :speechless:

I hope, the OPW section of the english MONDVOR website will be finished soon :rolleyes: (hint, hint)

I hope, the OPW section of the english MONDVOR website will be finished soon :rolleyes: (hint, hint)

Point taken! I'll finish "Bogdan Khmelnitsky" first and will start to look at that ..... unless Andrei is already working on it!

Jim :cheers:

Hi Belaruski,

i think, its not a good one. The collar of Ushakov is wrong and the "A" and "D" of Admiral is off. The "A" is slightly smaller than on originals and the two "legs" of the "D" are a little bit too short. I also see some details in Ushakov?s hair, which are different than on originals and Ushakov doesn?t seem to have pupils on your Medal. Then the number is too deeply stamped IMO.

All in all, thats enough for me to say, this is not a good one. You will probably not be surprised.

Lets see, what the other have to say...

Gerd

He actually does have pupils, but bad photos!

This I think, is a very good fake, but for some reason the serial number is heavily stamped. I can't understand why!

I bought this for a very fair price when I saw that originals were above the $1000 and then some.

Dear all,

I have seen a number of threads lately whereby members were unsure of whether their items were original or not. I would therefore like to start this thread as a platform for anyone wanting to query an item.

The rules are simple:

- Post clear scans of your ODM and state your case i.e. what you are unsure of.... It is very important that scans are as clear as possible showing maximimum detail. It is already hard to tell from scans in certain cases let alone if this is out of focus or has too much flash.

- Members will reply as they can giving their comments as to why they think the ODM may be original or not. Ideally scans and comparisons are to be illustrated or at least, clear explanations to be given.

- Let us all remember that there is always 'some' room for debate or discussion as long as one is looking at a picture as opposed to hands on study of the ODM.

The idea is to a) help members resolve at least some of their doubts and b) to also serve as a learning exercise to help avoid fakes.

These threads are protected for member's use only thus limiting access to non members. I hope that this idea takes off for those who may need it.

As far as I can see no major alarm bells going off here. My only question however concerns the obverse where I cannot make out if the darker areas on the silver are tarnished and worn or just scratched and revealing a non-silver base metal. I guess you can have a better idea of this hands on! Also if you have access to a black light you can also check if the enemal glows or not. It shouldn't!!

Like the Borderguard medals on other threads, this is a widely faked medal and good quality copies exist. However, the ones I did come across in past seemed to always have a light red enamel (as opposed to a nice deep red one), small dot marks on the enamel, and less relief detail on the rays under the red star. Yet again.... these guys are getting better always.

Anyone got more definite ideas on this one?

Jim

The dark areas are indeed tarnishing. This would polish up nicely, but I'm not keen on cleaning up 'old stuff'.

I cannot agree more about not cleaning medals! Polishing in my books = wear and tear!