News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethiopian (Derg regime) wound medal

Ulsterman

Established in 1982 and awarded until the fall of the very nasty Derg regime in 1991-and maybe until 1998 when a new proclamation was issued.

The center has a glass heart.

From a very bloody regime and given for wounds in some very sad little wars.

Edited by Ulsterman

• 1 year later...

Hi, as a note the medal also came with a painted heart as i have one in my collection. when i have the time and can figure out how to download pic's i will get some put up in my album. jzab.

The bottom medal-is that not the Military Merit medal 2/3rd class?

i am not sure what the bottom medal is as i was only interested in the wound medals. if you have a close look at them you can see a lot of little minor differences in that they may have been made by different manufactures. on the backs of the ones i have they are all blank, no marking at all.

jzab

Interesting-

If you wish to get rid of that merit medal, let me know.

I strongly suspect the Derg medals were made in the DDR.

All the medals I have encountered so far have had blank, "pebbled" reverses.

Is there a difference in weights?

Edited by Ulsterman

Interesting-

If you wish to get rid of that merit medal, let me know.

I strongly suspect the Derg medals were made in the DDR.

All the medals I have encountered so far have had blank, "pebbled" reverses.

Is there a difference in weights?

hi, i don't have those medals in my collection but rather it was a pic of a group that i didn't win on ebay duue to the fact that there are so many ghost collectors of wound medals that they seem to pop up when i am bidding on an item. but i don't see them jumping to purchase my boo on wound medals that i did.

• 1 month later...

hi norman and perce,

sorry for taking so long to reply. below is the info i have on the book that i list on ebay for sale. if you are interested in a copy you can let me know. they are $15.99 plus post. i take paypal for easy payment and faster shipping. i give dealer discounts on multiple books ordered if interested. thanks for your interest. i will autograph your copy if you should want. see pic of cover in my album on this site.

THIS AUCTION IS FOR THE FIRST BOOK TO BE PRINTED ENTIRELY ON THE TOPIC OF

Wound Medals, Badges & Next-of-Kin Awards of the World.

ISBN: 0920030270Complete Book Title: Wound Medals, Badges, and Next-of-Kin Awards of the World: A Study of these awards from the Boer War to Current issued items.Author: John M. ZabaryloBinding Type: Spiral bound soft coverCopyright Date: 1988Number of Pages: 60Size: 15cm x 22.5cm [5 1/2" x 8 1/2"]Book Subject: Militaria: medals, badges

I am the authorized, direct-from-the-author/publisher/retailer of this NEW book, which is ALWAYS ON HAND and available for immediate shipping. IF YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR COPY AUTOGRAPHED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW....

' WOUND MEDALS, BADGES & NEXT OF KIN AWARDS OF THE WORLD ' is a long awaited book on the topic that was a long time in coming to collectors.

• It is the first ORIGINAL compilation of its kind concerning all the countries and how they recognized the sacrifices of their dead and wounded service personnel. None of the countries were prepared for the appalling number of casualties suffered and few countries had any established medals or awards to offer them.
    • Though by no means comprehensive, this book represents a very great effort on the part of the author to bring together the various scattered and diverse recognitions for services rendered on behalf of the Allied Nations and for the Central Powers as well.
    • This publication offers the collector and historian a new perspective on the wars being covered from the Boer War to present.
    • Format being soft bound with spiral binding makes for easy looking so that the pages do not flip by themselves. There are lots of photographs of seldom seen medals, decorations and orders, as well as those awards commonly encountered, with their details captured in B&W as well as line drawings, and descriptions for the novice, the opportunity to identify items in their collections.
    • Some of the medals covered are from: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Columbia, Croatia, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Vietnam, Spain, and the United States.

Morning John

Can you please give me the details of your book. Would love to know more.

Regards

Norman

hi ed,

yes i know about that book as well as i am amember of OMSA as well. however, their book only covers WW I as my title was copywrited 10 years previous. in the process of doing my book i had been approached as it was suggested that i should hold off on doing my book. i didn't understand why at that time until i have approached OMSA for including my book in their books for sale section and i got told they were not interested in it as OMSA was putting out a new monograph on the same topic and didn't want my book competing with theirs. i also noted in thier monograph that the authors had purposely misspelled my name when using references because one of them knows me very well as he belonged to the MCC of C as well and we have met at different conventions over the years.

not to dwell on the above, i am working on volume 2 of my book. my computer crapped out on me with my files gone i have to piece the book together from some previous backups not so current and then try to fill in the blanks. i have also cleaned up most of the pics to show better detail. i am also rewriting my first volume to follow the same format as volume 2 which is much better and i will have corrections made to items from comments i have rec'd over the years from interested readers who have purchased a copy of my book.

since i have been selling my book overseas i have had people from there tell me that people have been copying my book and selling it. i have even come across an obvious photocopy of my book for sale on ebay. but then i do come across original copies of my book as well.

there are also a few good books out there as well that only delt with one county, namely William Hammelman's book on German Wound Badges. afterwards he stated that the book was incomplete as he forgot to include the cloth wound badges of WW II. There is a book on French Wound Medal only, but is long out of print and expensive to pruchase. i have only seen one for sale on ebay in France. however the book is in french. there are 2 more books on german wound badges, one from germany [in german of course] which is also out of print and hard to find and then there is the other book on german wound badges from italy [in italian of course] but is avalable on ebay, italy and is listed now and then.

if anyone knows of any other books written on wound medals, badges, i would be pleased to hear from you.

There is also an OMSA monograph on the same subject. Their online store is, unfortunately, out of order at the moment.

hi all,

is there someone out there that can translate the inscription ont the suspension bar.

john

hi ed,

yes i know about that book as well as i am amember of OMSA as well. however, their book only covers WW I as my title was copywrited 10 years previous. in the process of doing my book i had been approached as it was suggested that i should hold off on doing my book. i didn't understand why at that time until i have approached OMSA for including my book in their books for sale section and i got told they were not interested in it as OMSA was putting out a new monograph on the same topic and didn't want my book competing with theirs. i also noted in thier monograph that the authors had purposely misspelled my name when using references because one of them knows me very well as he belonged to the MCC of C as well and we have met at different conventions over the years.

not to dwell on the above, i am working on volume 2 of my book. my computer crapped out on me with my files gone i have to piece the book together from some previous backups not so current and then try to fill in the blanks. i have also cleaned up most of the pics to show better detail. i am also rewriting my first volume to follow the same format as volume 2 which is much better and i will have corrections made to items from comments i have rec'd over the years from interested readers who have purchased a copy of my book.

since i have been selling my book overseas i have had people from there tell me that people have been copying my book and selling it. i have even come across an obvious photocopy of my book for sale on ebay. but then i do come across original copies of my book as well.

there are also a few good books out there as well that only delt with one county, namely William Hammelman's book on German Wound Badges. afterwards he stated that the book was incomplete as he forgot to include the cloth wound badges of WW II. There is a book on French Wound Medal only, but is long out of print and expensive to pruchase. i have only seen one for sale on ebay in France. however the book is in french. there are 2 more books on german wound badges, one from germany [in german of course] which is also out of print and hard to find and then there is the other book on german wound badges from italy [in italian of course] but is avalable on ebay, italy and is listed now and then.

if anyone knows of any other books written on wound medals, badges, i would be pleased to hear from you.

hi norman,

on ebay i charge $9.00 for overseas, but i will give members of the GMIC a discount rate and will charge only $20.00 for the book and P&H anywhere.

are you going to pay via paypal, if so i will need your email address to send an invoice. and do you want the book autographed.

have a good day :cheers:

john

Morning John

Can you give me an indication of what shipping costs to Pretoria, South Africa would be.

Will US$20.00 cover purchase and shipping or will it be more.

Regards

Norman :cat:

hi norman,

on ebay i charge $9.00 for overseas, but i will give members of the GMIC a discount rate and will charge only $20.00 for the book and P&H anywhere.

are you going to pay via paypal, if so i will need your email address to send an invoice. and do you want the book autographed.

have a good day :cheers:

john

Morning John

Can you give me an indication of what shipping costs to Pretoria, South Africa would be.

Will US$20.00 cover purchase and shipping or will it be more.

Regards

Norman :cat: